Copyright (c) 2014 by Alex Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alex -- Blogmeister

We are a 6th grade class that is piloting a 1:1 laptop program using MacBook computers. We blog, Skype, make Wiki pages, produce digital videos, podcasts and vidcasts.

by Alex teacher: Brian Crosby

Article posted June 2, 2008 at 05:54 PM GMT0 • comment (11) • Reads 312

Marsopolis

BY: Alex

On May 7, 2008 we went to a field-trip to Marsopolis. We had to take a 22 oz lunch. So when I woke up in the morning I started to prepare my lunch. I made myself a big sandwich, I bought Hot cheetos, peanuts, and a granola bar. We could only take 10 oz of food. We had to do the same thing with our drink it can only be 10 oz . My drink was a caprisun. It weighed 6.7 oz. After I prepared my lunch, I went to go change. I wore some sneakers, Shorts, and a black shirt. When I finished putting my clothes on I went to go comb my hair. Next I went to go eat my breakfast. I ate some eggs and ham. They were really good. After I ate my breakfast I went to go brush my teeth. A couple of minutes later we left the house. When we were on the road I was wondering how the field trip would be. When I arrived at school I went in the classroom and I saw my classmates making some journals, so I started to help. When we finished making the journals We started to weigh our lunch. Our lunch was supposed to weigh 22 oz. When I went to weigh my lunch It weighed 22 oz exact. I didn’t have to adjust to it at all. When the others weighed their lunch, some of them were to little some were way to much. Other peoples lunches weighed exactly 22 oz too. After we weighed our lunches, our teacher gave us a 10x12 We made some name tags with our name , the school name , our teachers name, and the job we had like captain tunnel tech, lunch manager and riddle master. A few minutes later the bus arrived. So we got our journals our name tags and our systems. As we were arriving to the bus my friend and I were already saying that we’re going to sit by each other. The bus ride was short because the Reno Livestock Event Center where Marsopolis was going to be was close to our school. While we were on the bus I was practicing my part of the presentation. When we showed up at marsopolis I got so nervous. As soon as I got off the bus I felt even more nervous. When we entered the building I saw about 500 kids sitting down and talking my ears got plugged because all of the noise the kids were doing. Then we followed our teacher to the table where all of our systems were going to be. Next he just told us to sit down and listen for instructions. When hey said the instructions they told us to go find our group. As soon as we found our group we started to work on our habitat. At first I had no clue what to do but then a kid came and told us to cut an 8x12 plastic piece for the roof. The other kids were working on the walls for the side. After we finished taping the floor to the sides we started to work on the roof. It was boring because we were just holding the walls so the other kids could tape the roof to the sides. While we were taping the roof the other kids were working on the tunnel for the fan. Next we put the roof on and the fan in the tunnel and the habitat was up and working. When we finished we got out our journals and started to take notes on what we did. We were working inside the habitat. Then Mr. Bryant the one that did the instructions told all the students in the building to go to the center of the cosmic village, which was the center of the building. He was telling us that all the students had made the habitat so he told all of us that we did a great job. So then he said that since we did a good job we can get our lunches and eat outside of our habitats. I ate a big sandwich, spicy peanuts, a granola bar, cookies, hot cheetos, and a caprisun. The sandwich was so good. My friend was even looking at me all the time. the peanuts were spicy and good. My friend helped me finish the cookies and the granola bar. He ate half my cookies and ate my granola bar. After we ate lunch we had to go to the center of the cosmic village for instructions. When we were at the cosmic village Mr. Bryant told the Olympus Mons colony to get their systems and go in their habitat. Our group was in that colony so we went to get our systems and took them to our habitat. We were going to present our system. When we presented our system Cesar presented our first project. We did the recreation system and Cesar presented our golf club that we made. when he finished explaining the golf club the kids were amazed. The next person to explain was me I explained our space suit, jump rope, and dodge ball. I was so nervous explaining in front of all the students. After I explained to the students they were saying cool very loud. The third person to explain was Leticia. She explained our chess board. I thought she did good on explaining because she kind of never talks loud and now she did it. The last person to explain our system was Kasandra. She doesn’t talk english but she really did well, on explaining the baseball bat and the ball. After we explained our system the other students were amazed by our work. A couple of minutes later the guy called our colony to go to the center of the cosmic village. Then Mr. Bryant told the challenger colony and the Valles Mariners to get their systems and go to their habitat so they can present their systems. While they presented their systems they let us watch rock videos that other students made for marsopolis. I didn’t like any of them because they were boring. After the challenger and Valles Mariners finished presenting their system they went to the center of the cosmic village. They only saw part of the videos the we were seeing because Mr. Bryant stopped the videos and told us to stand up and find our teacher. He told us to find our teacher because we were going outside to play. We were going outside because the tunnel techs were going to build the tunnels. When we went outside we played a game called telephone. It’s a game were people get in a line and somebody says a phrase to the first person in line. Then the first person passes on the word and when it gets to the last person he yells it out to see if the word that was correct. After we finished playing that game we played the game of duck, duck, goose. I thought it was boring because I never got picked as goose. I only got picked one time. Then a couple of minutes later a fire truck and an ambulance. I was wondering what had happened. After two or three minutes we were told to go back inside. When we got inside the building I told my friend what happened and he told me that a lady fell of her crutches and fell and popped her knee. About 10 minutes later Mr. Bryant told us that we could go through any habitats and look at the tunnels they made to attach every habitat in the colonies. My friends and I went through the Olympus Mons and the Valles Mariners colony first. Those colonies were long they were like half the size of the building. It took us almost a minute to go from the beginning to end. While we were in there my friend and I were scaring my other friends. We scared one kid so bad that when we scared him he ran as fast as he could to the end of the habitat. When my friends and I finished going through the habitat we came out laughing like crazy because we scared a kid so bad. After we left the habitat I went to my backpack and got out my hot cheetos. My friends and I were just sitting down eating my big bag of hot cheetos. It took us almost 30 minutes to finish my hot cheetos. Then when we were done eating them we went to the other colony called charger. That colony was little it took us like 30 seconds to get through it. After we went through that one we just sat down by our school table and ate the rest of my hot cheetos. They were good, some of my friends thought my hot cheetos were really hot so they went to get a drink. We just sat down talking for like 20 minutes. while we were talking my friend said that he wanted to go home. After about 10 minutes I looked at the clock and it was 4 o’clock. Then something bad happened again. A kid was fooling around and fell and hit his head and he had a big bump on his head and he was also bleeding from his nose. 10 minutes later the ambulance came and one school left. The ambulance came because the kids forehead had a bump that was huge. After they took the kid Mr. Bryant called our teacher and told him that our bus had came for us already. So our teacher told us to get our stuff and line up behind him ready to leave. As soon as we got on the bus I went to the back of the bus and sat down with two of my friends. We were really tired and we just wanted to get to the school. It took about 5 minutes to get back to school. When we got back to school our school soccer coach told us that our school had lost the soccer game that we had that day 2 to nothing. We were upset. Right after that our teacher told us to drop of our stuff and get your backpacks and we were excused. That was my day at Marsopolis. That field trip was awesome.

Article posted June 2, 2008 at 05:20 PM GMT0 • comment (10) • Reads 55

When I Got A Motorcycle

BY: ALEX

On a nice and warm Saturday afternoon my Dad went to a party at his friend’s house, my Mom, my brother, and I went to my cousin’s house. We went to my cousin’s house because my aunt was making a special dinner and she invited us and a couple of other relatives too. While we were over at my cousin’s house I was having a blast!!!! I was having so much fun because some of my favorite cousins were invited so we were playing tag all over the place and the people that were supposed to find us couldn’t find us for about 30 minutes. My best cousin and I were hiding by a farm that’s kind of far from my cousin’s house. Then my Dad called my Mom’s cellphone and when she answered my Dad said, “Ay onde estan”(Where are you guys) and my Mom said, “En la casa de Martha”( We’re at Martha’s house). My Dad called my Mom because he was coming from the party at his friend’s house. When my Dad got to my cousin’s house he was hauling something in the back of the truck, and I asked my self, “What does he have in the back of the truck?” Finally when my Dad parked the truck my cousins and I were asking him, “Who’s is that motorcycle?” Then my Dad said to me, “It’s yours.” I went dead silence when he said that, then my Dad started to untie it so we can use it. Then from that day on I started to use even more motorcycle’s than I used to. That day was a good day=http://=http://!!

THE END=http://=http://!

Our Writing Project

BY: ALEX

Our class and some new york students are working on a the story called The Mysteries of Harris Burdick. My partner and I decided to make our story a scary story and a little bit of suspense. We made our decision on Google Docs, Google Docs is a word processing place on the internet. While we were on Google Docs my partner and I were writing down ideas so we can make our story. We also video conferenced them through Skype. I didn’t meet my partner on Skype but I did get to share some ideas Google Docs because Google Docs can also be used as a chat room. One thing that I thought was cool was that my partner and I were talking through Google Docs. I didn’t think that anything did not go well because at least my partner met each other through Google Docs and we shared some of our own ideas and I thought that was cool.

Strange Days

BY: Alex

I was walking home one day when I saw a bird far off in the distance flying my direction. As it got closer I noticed it didn’t look like any bird I had ever seen. It kept flying towards me and to my amazement it zoomed right up to me and landed softly on my shoulder. I wasn’t sure what to do. I thought it was cool, but it also made me very nervous. Then it bent it’s neck to look me straight in the eye and suddenly, the bird poked me on the nose and I through the bird off me and started to run in pain. As I got closer to my house I ran even faster. When I got close to my house I rushed to the door, and opened it quickly, and I ran to my room. When I got to my room the bird was standing right outside my window staring at me like if he was going to get me very soon. The bird and I were staring at each other for a heap of time. The next morning my friends called me so I can go outside and play but when I opened the door to go outside the bird was right there outside my door. I went to tell my Mom and she went to go look and it wasn’t there anymore so she went back to do the chores. Suddenly my friends called again wondering where I was. They said to hurry up because they’re playing a really fun game. So I opened the door and ran to my friend’s house and the bird was right behind me. So I ran faster, and faster. When I got to my friend’s house they said why did you take that long. I didn’t know what to say so I lied to them, I said “I had to wash the dishes.” So they never found out about the bird Stranger.

Mount Everest

BY: ALEX

We had just sat down on the school bus that was taking us on our field trip when the bus driver stood up, turned around and in a loud voice said, “ We are not going on the trip you thought we were. Your class has won a trip to a very special place.” The next thing we knew some kind of gas started to spray from the ceiling and we all fell asleep in our seats. When we woke up hours later we found out we had been taken to the top of Mount Everest with really warm clothes and a breathing mask so we can breathe up here. While we were up there the guides were telling us why we were in very warm clothes and with mask’s. We were wearing the special warm clothes so we can keep ourselves warm. The mask’s wear so we can breathe good because the atmosphere is very thin. When you look down the mountain is extremely colossal. The mountain is 29,000 ft. high from the ground to the top. While we were up there the guide told us not to go in the cave right next to us. I really wanted to go in the cave because it was dark. So I went in the cave when no one was looking. When I was in there my mask fell off and at the moment it fell I was panicking because I couldn’t breathe and because I couldn’t find the mask in the dark. Suddenly I step on something and it was the mask so I put it on quickly because I was running out of breath. As soon as I got further I started to hear a voice so I ran out the cave. Nobody saw me getting out of the cave so I just pretended that I never went in there. When we came back down to the bottom of the mountain I felt really scared because of the cave. That mountain was very huge.

Lunar Eclipse

BY: ALEX

Yesterday at night there was a lunar eclipse. I only saw a little bit of the moon because of the clouds. The moon was behind the clouds for about 30 minutes. I was in my house for an hour, then I went outside. It was about 7:15 pm when I went outside and the moon appeared for about 10 seconds and that's all I saw. After the moon appeared I went back inside. I went back inside to watch TV for 20 minutes and then I went back outside. When I went outside the moon was still behind the clouds but I was able to see the light of the moon. I stayed outside to watch the moon for 25 minutes or so. The moon stayed behind the clouds for the rest of the night. That’s the only thing I saw during the eclipse.

Space Facts

BY: ALEX

Today we learned some real interesting facts about space. The first thing we learned about was the speed of light. I learned that light is the fastest thing ever known. If light went from Los Angeles to New york it could get there in 450 millionths of a second that’s extremely fast. The actual speed of light is 186,000 mps (miles per second), but the speed of light in miles per hour is 669,600,000 mph. If light could bend it could go around the Earth 7 times in a second. Light could also go to the moon in less than 2 seconds. When light leaves the sun it leaves it at 186,000 miles per second and it takes the light from the sun eight minutes to get to Earth . That’s what we learned about light. Another thing we learned about was a star named Alpha Centauri. Alpha Centauri is the next closest star to Earth after the Sun. If a rocket was to travel to Alpha Centauri it would take 25 trillion miles which is 158,500 years. Now if light went to Alpha Centauri it would still take 4 years to get there. We also learned that the Sun is not a planet, the Sun is actually a big star. Stars are not as small as you think they are, stars are a million times larger than Earth. Stars are big balls of burning gas. Finally the last thing we learned about was the sizes of planets and stars. We saw a video about the sizes of planets and stars. The first thing the video showed was the planets of our solar system it started out with the smallest planet which is pluto. Then it showed mercury, then mars, then venus, and then Earth. After Earth it kept on going with the next biggest planets, when the sun came out it made the other planets disappear. Right after the sun it showed even bigger stars. When the video showed all the other known stars it showed the biggest star named VV Cephi, that star was huge it made the sun look like a germ and the planets weren’t in the video anymore.

Prohibiting Blogging

By: Alex

If our school district prohibited blogging I would be very grumpy every day at school because if we can’t blog we would have to do everything on paper. What I like about blogging is the story’s we could write about like what we do at school, home or anywhere else, we can even write about tall tales.There are also somethings blogging helped me improve: The first thing blogging helped me improve on was on my writing. It help me on my writing because every time our class would write a story we would always have to do it on paper, so blogging really helped me on my writing: The next thing blogging helped me on was my spelling. It helped me on my spelling because when we’re done typing or writing a story Mr. Crosby our teacher would make us check our story for any mistakes that we have on our piece, especially spelling mistakes: The last things blogging helped me on was on my reading and english. I learned how to read and speak better english by looking at other peoples blog. Other peoples blog helped me to read and speak english better than I used to because some of the other bloggers have perfect english on every blog post. I think that we should blog so that later on in life we could do better in high school and in college by blogging=http://=http://=http://

THE END=http://!!!

By Alex

The first thing we do when we are going to correct a story, is spell checking it. We spell check it so we won’t have incorrect spelling in the story. After we’re done spell checking it we proofread so we can know if we put and spell the correct word when we ran spell check on the story. When we’re done with proofreading we go onto adding or deleting any punctuation's, or words we don’t longer wish to use. Then the next thing we do is spell check again so the words, or punctuation's you added are correct spelling or in the right place. After spell checking we read the story again, but we have to read very carefully so we won’t miss any easy or silly mistakes. Also carefully read your writing looking for any spelling errors, capitalization mistakes, and the most important thing is using correct English(does it make sense) Finally the last thing we do is print it out and show it to the the teacher so he/she can look for any mistakes we didn’t find!!!!

THE END!!!

An Icredible Snow Day

BY Alex

On the fourth, fifth, and sixth day of January we had snow storms. The next day it wasn’t snowing but the snow was piled up. We also had a two hour delayed start for school. So classes were going to start at 11:00 o-clock. I put on my cloths combed my hair, and brushed my teeth. After I did all of that the things I need to do I left my house and when I left the house I looked at the clock to see what time it was and it was 10:57. So I rushed out and started to run like roadrunner. When I got school the bell had already rung so ran even faster to get to my classroom. It took me about 13 seconds to get to class. As soon as I opened the door everybody looked at me like if I was a robber or if I was threating them, but I didn’t pay them any mind and I just kept walking. We only stayed in class for about 50 minutes. We were in for 50 minutes because when I entered the classroom it was about 11:10 so that’s why we only stayed in class for 50 minutes. After the 50 minutes we went out to recess. When we got to the basketball court to play soccer we didn’t have a soccer ball to play with. But then about 5 minutes later a kid from the other fifth grade class brought a soccer ball and we started to play. While we were playing, a lot of kids were falling and getting wet but they liked it. We were playing like if the snow wasn’t there. When our recess was over all of the kids that were playing were all soaked and wet. After the recess we went to lunch, I got a milk, chicken sandwhich, oranges, lettuce, and an apple. I had a delicious lunch, and a very funny snow day with my friends.

Marsopolis 06/02/08
When I Got A Motorcycle 06/02/08
Our Writing Project 03/28/08
Strange Days 03/24/08
Mount Everest 03/24/08
Lunar Eclipse 02/29/08
Space Facts 02/29/08
Prohibiting Blogging 02/08/08
How Our class Edits 02/05/08
An Incredible Snow Day 01/16/08
My Special Friend 01/16/08
ChampionShip Soccer Game 12/21/07
Our Classroom Break In 12/21/07
The Story Maniac Magee 12/19/07
My New Invention 12/06/07
Thanksgiving Feast 11/21/07
11/16/07
11/16/07
11/09/07
11/08/07
10/30/07
05/02/07
04/20/07
04/12/07
04/12/07
04/03/07
When I Fell Off A Tire 04/03/07
04/02/07
04/02/07
01/25/07
01/18/07
Cable Car Poem 12/19/06