Renee's supercalifragilelisticexpialadocious science blogs-

Here is a link to our RSK water web. That is our water/science/pollution/benthic macrosand more.

[LINK]

The adult spawners are mature and ready to head back to their birth place. There are many obstacles on the journey like logs, rapids, and waterfalls. When the salmon reach their destination they are tired and bruised. The female chooses a spot with a fast flow rate to provide enough oxygen to her eggs. Then she makes a sweeping motion with the tail to make a redd the current washes away any silt or fine particles . Then the quivers alongside her which helps her lay the eggs. Then the male fertilizes them with his milt and she covers the eggs with gravel. The female starts making another redd and laying her eggs. On average the female lays about 5,000 eggs while spawning. Now they are totally worn out few salmon survive and head back to the ocean but the ones that don't are called spawned out or kelts they may try to guard their redds or look for refuge in deep pools. But soon their tired bodies will wash down stream. Other scavenging animals will eat there carcassess and the salmon nutrients feed the organisms which will feed the young salmon later on.  

Sea run adult  Salmon will eat and grow in the sea for anywhere from to 8 years. The salmon will remain silver until they go back to their birth place. While in the sea salmon may travel hundreds or even thousands of miles to stay out of the dangers of predators. Salmon feed on shrimp, squid,  and other small fish. The sea runner salmon stages predators are fishermen, whales, seals, and sea lions. Depending on their type sea runners matured salmon can grow anywhere from 14 inches to five feet in length and about from two to 125 pounds heavy. When they are mature they start to head back to the estuary where they begin osmoregulation and start to adapt to fresh water. Once they are done the salmon will head back to their home stream. No one knows how they find there way home scientists think that the salmon use their sense of smell to find their way home .

Fingerlings need fresh cool water without pollution. The salmon fry start to migrate downstream to the sea.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              The salmon parr face lots of dangers on the way like predators, and hydroelectric dams turbines and pollution and runoff from cities, farms, and factories when the salmon parr or fingerings reach the estuary where the salt water mixes with the fresh water. While in the estuary the salmon begin to undergo osmoregulation, osmoregulation is when the salmon grow gills and kidneys that adapt to the salt  water.  The salmon fingerlings have silver sides and blueish green backs at the estuary. Now they are called a smolt. It is time for the smolt to head out to sea.the time the salmon  spend in the sea can vary up to five years, during this time they are eating and growing a lot, in the big beautiful ocean. The salmons begin to head back to their home streams during the summer of their maturing year.   

Newly emerged fry lose their sacs and emerge from the gravel as fry in April or May. They are about an inch long. Their dangers are any fish or animal larger than the fry such as mergansers and great blue herons. They begin the merge into schools of fry.  right now they need cold cool water thats is clear and full of oxygen. they feed on aquatic insects, zooplankton, and larger animals. The small fry start growing spots and vertical parr marks on their sides which helps them be camouflaged and hide from predators. unlike most fry pink salmon fry don't grow parr marks.

The  salmon eggs hatch to alevins in the late winter. The Alevins look like tiny creatures attached to bright orange sacs and they have huge eyes. For 3 to 4 months they grow very fast under the gravel. The yolk in the orange sacs provide a perfectly balanced diet for the alevins. The good flow of pure water is important to the alevins survival, gulls, dippers, and sculpins, and trout feed on the alevins still.

Salmon eggs that are laid are usually 10 to 700 miles from the sea in a the gravel bed of a stream. The eggs are laid in the fall and incubate under many feet of ice, and snow. The pink eggs are protected from sunlight too. After about a month of incubation in the gravel bed; eyes are visible, this happens between late November and early December. At this time it is mandatory for the flow of the water and temperature to be suitable for the eggs. The egg to fry stage is the greatest mortality in a salmon's life. Gulls, dippers, sculpins, and trout all feed upon salmon eggs which is a danger to the life of salmon eggs.

Me and Kaitlyn planting a tree

On Thursday we went Tree Planting at the Irondale log dump (Chimacum Beach), with the North Olympic Salmon Colission. My favorite part of the feild trip was planting the trees I didnt know how easy it was untill we tried. Kaitlyn my partner and I planted 22 trees by the bank of the mouth of the Chimacum creek .  The type of trees we planted were Shore Pines. We planted trees to provide oxeyen, shade, shelter, nutrients for the Chimacum creek and the animals and organisms that live in it. The only thing i would have changed would be the weather, there was a lot of wind. Anyways, tree planting is a fun way to help the creek.     

Ok it looks like nothing but click on the link and you will see awesomeness 

Have you ever seen water pollution? Its disgusting, Right? Well have you ever seen a picture of trash island in the pacific ocean? That i crazy there is so much pollution its just pilling up in the middle f the ocean. Water Pollution is a horrible thing it effects marine life, birds, land animals, and humans around the world. there are many types of water pollution. There is 9 causes too. Water pollution can affect our health and animals health. It can also affect the economy Preventing water pollution will decreace the amount of pollution and keep our water clean. There is 7 types of water pollution, Groundwater, surface water polution, suspended mater pollution, nutrients pollution, and microbiological water pollution. There is a creek called chimacum creek near where i live ad most of the time the creek ussualy it looks like the creek has nutreints pollution, and suspended matter pollution. Nutrients are mandatory for plants to grow and develop, there are lots of plants along and a few in the Chimacum creek plants provide microorganisms and animals food and nurtients. Have you ever heard of fertalizers and waste water? well a ton of nutrients are in those. These can cause run-off weeds and algae growth if large concentrations end up in the water, 6 this can back up filters and pollute drinking water. When ever you scoop up a handful of sand in the creek there is a layer of silt. Silt can be very harmful to the aquatic life in the waters biodegradable substances that are often suspended in the water making it easy for the amount of microorganisms to be present. If a pollutant is too big the water molecules, won’t mix and this material is called particulate matter. Those particles often settle at the bottom of lakes or rivers. There are 9 types of causes of water pollution, sewage and waste water, marine dumping, industrial waste, radioactive waste, oil pollution, underground storage leakage, atmospheric deposition, global warming, eutrophication. I think that the 2 causes of Nutrients, and suspended matter water pollution are erophacation, and marine dumping. Eutrophication is when the environment becomes enriched with nutrients. this may be a problem with marine life habitats like such as lake because it can cause algae blooms. Fertilizers are often used in farming but they can runoff into nearby waters causing an increase in nutrients levels. Also marine dumping is a cause of suspended matter pollution. Marine dumping is a major thing, oceans are polluted daily by oil spills and runoffs and dumping. Oils spills make up about 12 percent of the oil that is the rest comes from routine shipping and drains. These spills can cause big problems that can affect the wildlife like birds fish and marine life. Oil does not dissolve in water but creates a thick sludge on the water suffocating the wildlife in and on of the water. As you can see An oil spill from a tanker can cause huge problems. It also can get in the aquatic plants killing it. So please don't be a part of marine dumping and throw your trash in a trash can. Water pollution is a danger to the health, and environment of humans and animals. Even our economy is affected by it. This pollution can effect us and animals right away but can take affect after long term exposure. different pollutants can be harmful in different ways. for instance Heavy metals that come from industrial processes can acquire in neighboring lakes and or rivers, These metals can slow down the development of a human or animal who eats them.They are also very toxic to shellfish and fish. Industrial waste frequently holds lots of toxic compounds that damage the health of the aquatic animals and humans health some of the toxins in this type of waste can only have a mid effect where other areas can be fatal. Microbial pollutants from sewage often result in infectious diseases and sickness that can affect the aquatic life and terrestrial life through the drinking water. microbial water pollution is a huge problem in the developing world with lots of diseases like cholera but typhoid fever is a primary disease in infant mortality. Organic matter and nutrients causes an increase in aerobic algae depletes oxygen from the water column Organic matter causes fish to suffocate and can suffocate other water organisms too. Sulfate particles in fresh water can reduce the quality and nutrients in drinking water for humans and aquatic habitats. Suspended particle a may frequently decrease the amount of sun penetrating the water that disrupts the photosynthesis of plants growth and microorganisms. Like I said before Water pollution can affect our economy depending on how much it will cost to prevent, clean up, or even stop water pollution. It can be very expensive to treat or prevent. Our that waste doesn't degrade pours into the ocean and earth's water systems polluting the waters. Water pollution can be prevented with sand filters chemical additives and/or biological filters but these solutions cost money to take care of. The location the size of the contamination and the type of pollutant all are factors of determining the cost of pollution. Now even though it cost a lot to treat this horrid thing there is many ways to too. There are 4 types of water pollution treatment. Industrial pollution such as raw sewage must be sent to a water treatment plant. In the plant the sewage goes through 3 stages the primary stage the secondary stage and the final stage. The primary stage is when the suspended and solid particles and lifeless material is eliminated by the filters. The secondary stage is the treatment of the reduction of organic. the use of biological filter does this and it processes that naturally degrades the organic waste material. The third step is the tertiary phase. This procedure must before the water is drinkable or usable. Most of the solid particles are taken from the water. Additives that are made of chemical must be supplied to rid the water of the last of the impurities so it can be reused. :) There are many ways YOU can do to help prevent water pollution so read carefully 👀 If we can help prevent water pollution and keep our waters clean our rivers, oceans, lakes, creeks, and streams, groundwater, and even our drinking water. Here is a list of easy things to do to help clean up our water. 1. You can conserve water by just turning off the tap when you don't need it. This prevents water shortage and the contaminated water that needs treatment is less if we don't use it as much. 2. Now you have to be careful what's put down the toilet can do down the drain straight into the water stream ( do not put paint, oil, or other types of litter) 3. Remember to try to stay away from environmentally friendly household products such as washing powder cleaning agents or toiletries. 4. do not overuse pesticides, fertilizers, or any other types of bad chemical, it prevents runoffs in to close neighboring waterways. 5. when there is lots of plants in your garden it helps prevent fertilizers, and pesticides, and contaminated water, flowing them off into immediate water sources. 6. littering in lakes, rivers, and oceans, are a big no no because you're initially just littering right into the water. So help clean up the beaches, river, and lakes, when you pick up the litter make sure its safe to pick up and remember to put it in the closest wastebin. I hope you found this article as fascinating as I did and remember there is always some thing you could and can do to help prevent Water Pollution.

Hi my name is Renee, I like chicken tacos and blackberry cupcakes that HannahM makes. I am an energetic and talkative person,I am very adventuress person too! Writing drawing music and golf carts and any kind of fun are intersting to me so stop what you are doing and comment on my blog!!!!

>

Camp Cispus
Camp Cispus

Mt Saint Helens
Mt Saint Helens

Volcano
Volcano

Energy
Energy

Energy Transfer
Energy Transformations

Unbalanced Forces
Unbalanced Forces

Friction
Friction

Unbalanced Forces
Unbalanced Forces

Different Masses
Unbalanced Forces on Objects with Different Masses