Keep Calm&& Carry On.-

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per2/g3/kaylacalhoun.jpg

Article posted February 22, 2013 at 05:23 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 794

Interphase- Cells may appear inactive during his stage, but they are the opposite. this is the longest period of the complete cell cycle during which DNA replicates, the centrioles divide, and proteins are actively produced.

Prophase- The duplicated chromatin becomes tightly coiled to form chromosomes. The nuclear envelope disintegrates.

Metaphase- The spindle fibers extend to the chromosomes and align them at the center of the cell. The chromosomes become aligned at the metaphase plate.

Anaphase-The spindle fibers shorten & the sister chromatids are pulled to the opposite poles. Each chromatid becomes a complete chromatid. The cell elongates.

Telophase- The daughter chromosomes slowly become less condense to form chromatid fibers. The spindle fibers disappear and the nuclear envelope begins to form.

Cytokinesis- (the division of cytoplasm) occurs once telophase is over. A cleavage furrow containing a contractile ring develops separating the two new formed nuclei. The furrow deepens to form two identical cells.

So, we went around the school and swabbed different parts for bacteria.and put our pee tree dishes in an incubator overnight. My groups pee tree dish didn't grow anything. So I used a different groups pee tree dish to record data.

A: What was the answer to your question?

My question was- where is the most bacteria in the school?

The answer is-the shelf.

E: Evidence-

It had the most growth on the pee tree dish.

I: Inaccuracies or errors-

Well, our group did not grow anything, I think it is because we didn't bring our pee tree dish with us when we swabbed, so I think it was because the air contaminated it.

O: Observations-

They were circular and a whitish color.

U: What did you understand?

Well 1. The shelves are disgusting.

2. Bacteria grows in hot wet places.

3. Bacteria can be dangerous.

Y: To ask pertinent questions.-

If our bacteria did grow, where would the most bacteria be?

Would there be more bacteria on the gym door handle or the lunchroom door handle?

How much bacteria is on the gym window?

How clean is our school kitchen?

Article posted February 4, 2013 at 05:17 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 507

Root Hair Cell From A Plant-

Function: to help absorb water.

What helps it carry out this funtion: the root hairs are in the ground where the water is absorbed.

Muscle cell-

Function: to help you move by contracting and expanding.

What helps it carry out this function: the cells build up the muscle, and the muscle moves with your body, helping you move.

Nerve cell-

Function:Helps you feel.

What helps it carry out this function: The feeling goes through your nerves, then to your spinal cord. Then to your brain and tells your brain what you feel.

Sperm Cell-

Function: When ejaculated, they swim as fast as possible to the egg in the woman’s fallopian tube, where it then penetrates the outer part of the egg in order to start the meiosis process and create an individual of the two gene donors.

What helps it carry out this function: The shape of the sperm..  It has a small ovular head, connected to a long tail by a small part called the body.

"The difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes is that eukaryotic cells contain membrane-bound compartments in which metabollic activities take place."

[LINK])

What i understand from this is the eukaryotic cells have membrane bound compartments which cause it to do different actions than the prokaryote cells.

A membrane bound compartment-

A vacuole in cell cytoplasm.

Metabolic activities-

A set of chemical reactions that maintain life in any organism.

-The forklift is designed to pick up stuff. And its long claw allows it to pick up very heavy things.

-The bike seat is designed so you can sit comfortably while riding a bike. The shape allows you to comfortably straddle the bike and ride comfortably.

-The dolly is designed to roll heavy stuff around. The long handle allows you to easily tip it and roll it around.

-The hammer is designed to pound nails in. With the swing of your arm and a heavy weight on the front, it can do its job.

-The light switch is designed to turn the lights on and off. The stick on the switch allows it to decide which function it is on, on or off.

-My idea for a steering wheel is an xbox controller without the buttons and its heated.

For our liquids we chose Diet Root Beer & Orange Juice.

The egg we put in the soda weighed 75.12 grams before we put it in the soda.

The egg we put in the orange juice weighed 65.17 grams before we put it in the orange juice.

After the soda, thr egg weighed 79.35. It increased by 5%

After the orange juice, the egg weighed 76.35 grams.it increased by 17%

We predicted that the soda would be hypertonic, and the orange juice would be hypotonic.

Our predictions were half right. Both of the liquids are hypertonic.

I didn't do very well on my quiz. But I only got to level two on the game. From the game I learned, that the monocytes roll against the wall and roll against the selectins and they slow down and then once they roll over an icam they go into the blood flow. I did enjoy this game, but I didn't get very far. I would probably enjoy it more if I actually understood it.

These are the microorganisms we found this year.

KAYLA DIANE. <3 Welcome to my blog, I post about science and a bunch of random stuff. My favorite colors are pink and turquoise. I love Macklemore. My favorite sports are cheerleading and volleyball. Anyways, have fun reading my blog!(:

Life
Life

Camp Cispus
Camp Cispus

Microscopy
Microscopy

One-celled
One-Celled Organisms