Joe's Blog

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Hello everyone! This is officially my last blog. I know I said that last week, but I want to give some advice. Before that though, I’d like to tell you about my weekend: First, I drove for 5 and a half hours to my Grandmother’s House in New Jersey, for a family reunion. I studied for my Biology Final the entire way. Then on Saturday I drove back, and had another 5 and a half hours of Biology. Today, I have spent nearly 3 hours studying Geometry, and plan for some more. I had a great weekend! YAY! But at least tomorrow is the last day of school. Actually, now I’d like to segue into my advice for future freshmen:

1. You probably read the list above. If you did, this doesn’t apply to you, but read this anyway-- always read everything. All the directions, footnotes, EVERYTHING. It will save you a lot of time. 

2. The above description of my weekend is a good example that sometimes, you have to fit in schoolwork anywhere you can. Do not procrastinate.

3. Keep your binder’s organized. You will pass Geometry Binder Quizzes, and your other classes will be easier.

4. Ask questions. Don’t be embarrassed, it really helps.

5. Run track or cross-country. We have the best teams in York, and freshmen get treated like veterans.

6. Don’t waste study halls. We all know the feeling of not wanting to work in a study hall. But trust me, when you realize you have a big geometry assignment due, they help.

7. Be polite to all teachers. They notice it, and respect you more.

8. Don’t be that guy that never has a pencil-- it gets annoying fast.

9. Balance out your work and social life. Don’t spend 12 hours studying for a Biology test (it’s not that unheard of), and don’t stress over Technology and Careers class.

10. Have fun! Without some happiness, Freshman Year will stink.

Well, have a great summer everyone!

--Joe

HELLO! WELCOME TO THE FINAL COMPLETE WEEK OF SCHOOL!

Wow, the year has gone by so fast! Did I mention that this is our final weekly blog? I can’t believe how close we are to the end of the year! It seems like just yesterday we walked into Geometry for the first time. I have had a great weekend, capped of by a RockEucharist at my church!

This week in Geometry, we continued with our trigonometry unit, and we learned the law of cosines. At first I didn’t understand it, but once I got it, I had it for good. I think that on our trig. test this week, I will not have that much trouble, as this unit has been about mostly algebra and I do not have much trouble with algebra. But you never know-- it may be very hard. 

Our final is also coming up. Wow, that snuck up on me. Here is another review question:

Ben and Griffin love modern houses. They want to make a museum about the evolution of houses. While searching for a place to put the museum, they find a modern building that is a rhombus. The sides of the house are 50 feet long. The angles formed by two intersecting lines are 120* and 60*. How much area is in the museum?

ANSWER:

4330 ft. squared

Have a great last week!

--Joe

Article posted June 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 75

Hi everyone! Just writing because before I could add my review question, Blogmeister shut itself down! NOOOOOO!!!!

Well, anyway, here’s my Trigonometry Review question:

Kevin and Zane have just built a tree house. It is 20 ft off the ground, and the tree is perpendicular to the ground. When Kevin’s Mom goes out to look at the tree house, the angle of elevation from her feet to the tree house is 50*. Zane wants to know how far the tree that has the tree house in it is from the house, but he has lost the tape measure. How far away is the tree from the house?

***SPOILER ALERT***

Answer: Roughly 17 Feet

--Joe

Good morning!

Ugh, what a dreary weekend we’re having. I went to Portsmouth this weekend, and I got soaked just by the process of leaving my car, and entering the movie theater. But I saw the Avengers, and it was awesome. I loved it. 

Anyway, this week in geometry, we learned about the Laws of Sines and Cosines. I think that this was not too difficult, but I much prefer normal trig. But when I got to the Cosine sheet, I hit a wall: every time I put in an inverse for a number, I kept getting an error, so I can’t finish any problems! AHHHHHH!!! It is so annoying.

We will continue with trig this week, and I think that I will really like the rest of it. I love algebra, and this is just another piece of it.

Well, I have to go enjoy the “GREAT” day.

--Joe

Hello again everyone!

Wow! We are headed into a crazy week! Finals are approaching, and work is being handed out left and right! I had a great long weekend, which started with a WMC Track Meet win, and ended with Memorial Day Parade! I am tired out. But now that I am done with track, I have more free time! 

Well, this past week in Geometry we began trigonometry! I like it a lot. It makes perfect sense to me, and I find it fun to apply it to real life situations. In order to help us with “Trig”, we use an abbreviation called SOH CAH TOA. This reminds us when to use the functions on our calculators. SOH stands for sine=opposite over hypotenuse. CAH is cosine=adjacent over hypotenuse, and TOA is tangent=opposite over adjacent. Sine, Cosine, and Tangent are the 3 basic functions of “trig.”

Well, thats it for this week, but I’ll be back!

--Joe

GOOD LUCK AT STATES, BOYS TRACK!!!

Hello everyone!

I can’t believe how fast last week went! It seemed like it started on Monday, only to end on Tuesday! 

I had a very busy week! The Scratch Project, a Biology Project, Track, and Baseball! I was so tired by the end of the week.

But although it was busy, it was still very fun, and I like a fast week better than a slow week. 

We were also busy in Geometry, what with our Scratch Project and Area Test! And while we’re on the subject of the test... Why did my class think it was so hard, while the other class thought the opposite? Its weird. I think that I did okay, but I had to guess on a few problems, and I left one blank. 

I think that this unit was really fun and not too difficult, because it was easy to visualize or put into real situations. I’d have to say my favorite formula was the Rhombus or Kite formula. This was because it was very simple, and I like rhombi and kites. The formula was easy for me to remember and use.

Well, I have to go, but have a great week!

--Joe 

Hello again, everyone!

We are that much closer to the end of the year! I find this concept to be exciting as well as daunting! I have had a great freshman year in YHS, and I can’t wait for another! Hopefully next year will be as good as this has been.

Anyway, this week in Geometry we continued with our unit on area. I loved the part about circles. It all made sense to me, and I think that because it can be applied to so many real life situations, it makes the concepts much easier to understand.

We also had to work on our Scratch Projects for Tuesday. I think that mine looks good, but I had to spend a lot of time working on it. Although Scratch is a great tool for programming, I think that it would be nice if coordinates weren’t so hard to find.

Have a fantastic Mother’s Day!

--Joe

Hello everyone!

Well, we’re heading down the home stretch! Almost the end of the school year! I can’t believe how fast it’s gone. 

On a side note, the Mets have been doing better than expected, and I am very excited! Also, our track team is doing great, and we only have a few more weeks!

Anyway, this week in Geometry we started area. Area is fairly simple, as it is just formulas and algebra. I think that it is easy, seeing as we’ve done it way before this. However, I think that it will eventually get more difficult, and that it will be deceptively easy.

There are many formulas in the unit, and we also have to utilize other formulas from past units in order to succeed. 

Well, have a happy Sunday!

--Joe

Hello everyone!

First week after break is done! Yaaaaaaayyy! Only about 2 months until summer vacation! I had a great week, capped off by a really windy track meet. But we won, so that’s ok. 

Anyway, this week in geometry we had a Quest! I like the fact that it was a quiz length, but counted for a test. It made it seem easier to me. I think that transformations were pretty easy, and that I did well on the quiz. 

We also started radicals, which are deceptive. I can’t figure out if I’m gong to like them or not, or if they will be easy or not. I did ok on the homework for them, but I think I could use some practice with them.

Anyway, I have to go!

--Joe

Hello everyone! 

YES!!! WE ARE FINALLY IN VACATION! I AM SO HAPPY!

I don’t know about everyone else, but this was a huge relief for me. I really felt like this break came at the perfect time for me. I think I will have a great break.

Anyway, this week in Geometry we continued transformations. 

I really like them, because they make perfect sense to me, and I have been able to pick them up easily. I think that my favorite transformation is the dilation. This is because they look really cool when they are finished, and are fairly simple. I’d have to say that my least favorite transformation is a rotation because it involves so many calculations. It just takes to long.

I think that while transformations are easy for the moment, they will most likely get harder, as with all other subjects that we’ve done. 

Well, have a great vacation!

--Joe

14 years old Born in New Jersey Two younger sisters 1 Dog and 1 Cat Sports: Baseball, Cross-Country, Track, Skiing