Elizabeth's Blog-

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

by teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Top 10 Advice for incoming freshmen:

-Don't procrastinate

-Always do your homework

-Try not to be late to school

-Make sure you study enough

-Always be ready for midterms/finals

-Ask questions

-Don’t wait till the last minute

-Be organized

-Make time to re-take a test when needed

-Get involved in school activities

Good luck freshmen! You’ll have a great time in this class!

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 01:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello again! Right now in class we are working on Conversion problems! We are learning how to figure them out and how to write them. So I am going to give you the Conversion problem that I have made up.

Conversion problem: Today I went for a walk. I walked 15,000ft, how many miles did I walk?

how you figure this out is: (15,000ft/1) (1mi/5280ft) = (15,000/5280) = 2.8miles

What I did is you take how many feet you walk and put it over 1, then you take how many feet are in a mile (which is 5280) then you put that over 1mile and then you multiply the top and the bottom and you should get a fraction then you divide the top by the bottom and that’s how you get the answer!!

Article posted February 16, 2012 at 03:48 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello everyone, today I am going to talk about Ratios, rates, unit rates, and unit analysis. The difference between a ratio and a rate is a Ratio is a comparison using division and Rate is a ratio comparing two different units. A Unit Rate is a rate with a denominator of one. Where you would use this in real life is at a store when buying something that is on sale. What a Unit Analysis is the major entity that is being analyzed in the study.

Here is a URL to a website that gives examples and has unit analysis practice problems.

http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/fyp/mathrev/mr-da.html

Thanks for listening!

Article posted December 19, 2011 at 01:35 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello, in this blog I am going to look back on all of the topics we have covered so far in this semester which are: real numbers, order of operations, evaluating, translating, solving 1-step equations, solving 2-step equations, solving literal equations, CLT, exponents, and distributive property. I feel that I get real numbers really well, but sometimes I can get a little confused, but not a lot. Order of operations, evaluating, exponents, and distributive property all come easy to me really good! For the rest of them they are kind of confusing to me, but I understand them in the end. Yes, I have been thinking about semester exams, what I think about them is I am nervous like everyone else is because I don’t want to fail them and do bad. Exams always get me nervous because I don’t want to do bad on them and then have them bring my grades down. Three things that I could start doing now to help get ready for exams is start studying, get all of the papers needed to study for the exams, and just prepare myself.

Thanks for listening!

Article posted December 5, 2011 at 01:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello everyone,

I am going to tell you about how second quarter is going so far. How I feel about quarter two is going is I think it is going pretty well! I am not getting really bad grades and I am also getting all of my homework done on time! Also I am not getting that much homework, which is good! In algebra class I think it is going pretty well, like I am learning about the subjects really well. In the last blog post my goals were: Try harder on understanding the material, and make sure when I do the material that I understand how I did it. I think that I have made progress in those goals because I have been practicing the material and I know how to figure it out and how to write it out! What I need to work on a little bit more to help accomplish my goals is I need to maybe look at the material longer and not just after i'm done with the homework put it away and forget about it till the next morning in class! The topics that we have been doing I think are a little easy at some points, but also challenging at some points. Also they can be in the middle of easy and hard! I think that I am getting a lot better at CLT, I am understanding CLT more! For exponents I think I have those down good and I know how to figure them out, but I still sometimes have to think about them before I do them, but then I get it! Doing monomial times monomial, is a little challenging, but I can figure it out as I get into it! Doing power to a power can be tricky, but also kinda easy! I think I am better at power to a power better than anything else. Doing distributive property, I get confused, but when I get it explained I understand it a lot better!!

Thanks For listening!

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Hello everyone!

For the past 2 weeks we have been learning and reviewing the use of exponents and how to write them out. We have been doing that for, about 4 or 5 classes! Also within those classes we have been doing combining like terms.

The last 2 worksheets we have done were on finding the simplest form for expressions. Also the other worksheet was on shortening phrase into exponents, writing out the exponents the long way, and shortening harder and longer expressions into exponents and writing them the long way!!

Thanks for listening!! :)

Hello I am going to tell you about my experience of quarter 1 and also what I am going to make happen in quarter 2.

What I have enjoyed in this class is that we have learned some things that we didn't know and some things that we already knew but needed more work on. I have done a few things that have made me proud, like I kept getting better grades on dailies than I was before. What has made me frustrated was not doing good on some things or sometimes forgetting to do things. Things that help me is just forgetting that when it's done and looking ahead. Some things I will do differently in quarter 2 is try harder and work harder to understand things better.

Two goals for quarter 2 in algebra class are: Try harder on understanding the material.

Make sure when I do the material that I understand how I did it.

Thanks for listening!

Hello this is my second blog post. Our second assignment was to research a website on order of operation. (PEMDAS) In class we have been working on order of operations Here is a link for Order of Operations:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html

This website can basically help you better understand Order of Operations and how to configure how to write the operations out. This website can help you figure out the steps to getting the answers. I found this website helpful and I find that it can help you better understand. I hope you find this website helpful. :)

Article posted October 6, 2011 at 01:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

In this class I am learning some stuff that I didn't know and stuff that I was not sure of last year, and now I am sure of it! I have a feeling this class is going to teach me more things that I didn't know and that needed to be clarified.