Copyright (c) 2014 by JM Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
JM -- Blogmeister

Whatever Tickles Your Peach (Whatever Amuses You)-

One to One computing room

by JM teacher: Matt McCartney

Article posted October 3, 2012 at 04:21 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 158

Hey everybody!!!! I'm revisiting the blog after three years!!!! Wow, did I have a lot of typos.....

If you remember what my favorite song is, it is Lux Aeterna. I posted it on my blog about half a year ago, and in case anyone cared at all what Lux Aeterna means, it means The Eternal Light. Lux Aeterna is Latin for The Eternal Light.

Bye.

-JM

Article posted June 1, 2010 at 07:46 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 67

Fifth Grade

Essay by JM

Contents

1. Introduction

2. Classroom Expectations

3. Challenges

4. Survival Tips

5. 5th Grade Social Life

6. Favorite Moments

7. In Conclusion

Fifth Grade

Fifth grade is a very interesting year. You will be amazed by how much you learn in just nine months! But there are still expectations in your behavior. You will also face many challenges. In this essay you will also be given survival tips by me. I will also tell you about fifth grade social life, and lastly I will tell you about my favorite moments from fifth grade.

Like I said before, you will have many expectations for fifth grade. So, as expectation #1: Don’t be self – centered. You’ll get through the day much more easily. Rather than making yourself become everyone’s enemy. Help others and fifth grade will be a lot easier to survive.

Another expectation for fifth grade is: Pay attention, especially to directions. If you don’t, you will end up with a pile of lates. You also could be easily embarrassed in front of the class. So, save yourself the stress (and the embarrassment) and pay attention.

My last class expectation for you is: Be kind and respectful. No one wants to hang out with someone who’s mean to everyone else. If you act kind and respectful, you have a chance to be on the teacher’s good side. Plus, you’ll have more friends and fewer adversaries.

If you remember these classroom expectations, you are guaranteed a better time in fifth grade.

In fifth grade, you will face a lot of challenges. Here are some of the challenges I faced in fifth grade.

One of my challenges in fifth grade was short due dates. If any fourth graders are reading this, remember the planet project you guys had last year? Do you remember how long you had to do it? You had about one month to do that, and in fifth grade, the longest time we have to do a project is about two weeks. Most of the time in fifth grade, we have barely over a week, maybe four days, or one week. It’s a major challenge, so don’t slack. We’ve had SO many projects this year that I stopped counting.

Another challenge I faced this year was the homework. I remember being up till ten o’clock at night trying to get it all done in the beginning of the year. (That’s mainly because I have two instruments to practice. Don’t worry.) If you use your time wisely, you can usually get most of it done at school. It slows in about the middle of the year, (mostly because I got to be in an independent math group) and speeds up at the end. Anyways, if you use your time wisely you can get things done faster.

One more challenge I am going to share with you is pleasing the teacher. If you’re on their good side, and you are respectful and follow directions, you will get along with them quite easily. Pleasing them homework – wise, though, is another matter. Taking time on your work and paying attention to detail will please them, so don’t do otherwise. Things will be much easier on you if you do.

So, I wish you luck with your fifth grade challenges, and if you face some of the challenges I did, try to remember my tips on how to survive them.

Surviving fifth grade is tricky, so here are some tips to help you through it.

My first tip is: Do NOT slack. Whatever you do, don’t slack. When something is assigned to you, if given time to work on it, start right away. If you put things off, that means a late. If you get a certain amount of lates, no quarterly reward. If you get over five lates in fourth quarter, you won’t be able to play against the teachers in the kickball game. My best advice is: Set a goal for yourself. You’ll feel proud that you didn’t slack if you reach that goal.

Some more advice for you: Don’t hang out with the troublemakers. They’ll only drag you down with them. And, if they’re mean and no one hangs out with them, chances are they’ll try to be nice to get more friends. Just remember, they’re at a lower level than you are, so don’t be mean to them and stoop to the same level. In conclusion, just stay away.

Survival tip #3: It’s always nice to be careful what to say. If you aren’t, that means trouble for your fifth grade life. My class’s main goal is respect, so, show some respect and watch the “just kidding” jokes and insults. It’s also a very good thing to be respectful. That means a better social life and fewer tribulations. Lack of respect can also mean no kickball game, or no track meet or special events like that.

I hope all of you future fifth graders enjoyed my tips!

Fifth grade social life is very complicated, but still fun. So here are some of my stories about it.

Socializing with your fellow fifth graders is very hard to do sometimes. One issue in my class this year was respect. Some kids think they can be flat out rude to each other for no apparent reason. So my advice to you is not to be like that to your friends, classmates or anyone. No one likes it, and there is no reason to disrespect each other like that.

Another issue for my class was the sarcasm. Sometimes, if it is a light joke, people will let it slide, but other times it can be WAY overboard. Try to remember that sarcasm isn’t always funny. There are plenty of other ways to have fun with your friends than to be sarcastic.

The last issue I am going to talk about is recess. Recess is a fun time for you to relax and get your energy out. Just don’t get carried away. We had a lot of weird and COMPLETELY uncalled for issues on the playground. From people being downright snobs to each other to being given the wrong orders, things got a little out of hand. Respect is still required wherever you are.

I wish all soon – to – be fifth graders a good social experience in fifth grade!

Fifth grade is a very fun year. Here are some of my favorite moments from fifth grade:

One of my absolute favorite things we did this year was present our culture displays. The assignment was about ourselves and our heritages. It was fun to find out where everyone’s ancestors came from. Also, to tell everyone where you come from or what you like was really fun to do. I hope that next year’s fifth graders will enjoy the experience as much as I did.

Fort Snelling was my favorite field trip this year. Plus, it was very amusing to watch several people try to get trucks to honk their horns on the bus ride there. I also like visiting places that have history and that are also very old. It was a lot of fun to see what it was like there. The employees acted like they were from the time of the Fort’s use, which was in the 1800s (I don’t know for sure). I hope everyone else enjoyed that field trip as much as I did.

The greatest prank ever pulled by the fifth grade this year was during math class. About ten students in our class work out in the hall independently, and we formed a friendly rivalry with Mr.Kuehn. So, as a joke, Mr. McCartney, - after Mr.Kuehn had left his room (without his keys) – locked Mr. Kuehn’s classroom door. When his class came back, they were locked out. Eventually, we had to let them back in, though. That was the best prank (and only prank) we pulled all year!

In this essay I have told you about your classroom expectations for fifth grade. I have taken you through your classroom expectations for fifth grade. I have told you about some of the challenges. I gave you some survival tips and told you about fifth grade social life. I shared my favorite moments from fifth grade. But not everything about fifth grade is mentioned in this essay. So, I wish all future fifth graders a fun and exciting year. Good luck!

Sincerely,

J M

Article posted May 10, 2010 at 10:26 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 59

The War of June

By Jenna McMains

The War of June

Is also known as the kickball game.

I hope I don’t kick off my shoe.

The fifth grade is in the lead,

The teachers sweat nervously,

As the fifth graders jump with glee.

Now we’ve done it!

We’ve one!

In your face teachers.

We’ll miss you over the summer,

But never forget.

The day fifth grade won

The kickball game.

Article posted May 6, 2010 at 04:12 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 56

Softly she plays,

The ebony keys of the piano.

Encouragingly she nods,

When I tell her my troubles.

Gently she taps,

The ivory keys.

When I thank,

Her for all she has done.

The Obsession

By Jenna McMains

Swimming inside me,

Is the Obsession.

The Obsession is that fluttery feeling,

Hanging in my stomach.

This certain Obsession makes,

The hammering of my heart.

It makes the screaming adrenaline,

In my veins.

The Obsession is constant,

Non – stop moving of my feet.

The thundering of the speakers.

This music to my ears,

This Obsession,

Is Dance.

Article posted April 29, 2010 at 01:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 80

Greece

1. The Greek language is the oldest language in Europe.

2. The ancient Greek letter "pi" ("P" in English)is written the same way as the math symbol "pi".

3. The city of Athens patron goddess is Athena.

4. Many letters in the ancient Greek language look similar to letters in the English language.

5. The marathon was created in Greece when they won the Battle of the Marathon. According to myth, they sent a soldier in full battle armor 26.2 miles to the city of Athens to spread the news. The soldier ran and died shortly after.

Italy

1. The Italian language is used in Italy. Italian is based on the Latin language.

2.The population is 58,126,306 in Italy (as of July 2009), and its size is slightly larger than Arizona ( 116,306 square miles).

3.Products produced in Italy include grapes, potatoes, olives, iron and steel.

4.In 2008, billionaire Silvio Berlusconi is prime minister once again.

5. In 800 - 600 B.C., Greeks and others settled in Italy.

Article posted March 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 46

I stood alone on an empty gravel road.

The gray sky looked heavy,

Ready to drop the extra wait it carried,

On its gray, tired shoulders.

Suddenly, the sky lit with lightning.

The ground shook with thunder.

And the weight was suddenly taken off.

Off of the clouds' shoulders.

The rain took of in sheets, and I took a seat,

On the cold, wet ground.

To watch the beauty, of The Storm.

I walked alone,

Studying the gray sky,

When I came across,

An abandoned city.

I searched for a city name,

And I found a sign.

It said,

'Hope City'.

The sign was charred,

And under some dust,

Written under the words,

'Hope City',

Were the words,

'Was Abandoned When You Gave Up'

I sat in a meadow to talk to a tree.

The tree was talking to me,

About what it had seen the night before.

The tree let go of a leaf,

And told me everything about what he'd seen.

"I saw the Uncontrolled.

They were wild, and they pranced about,

They were treating the meadow,

So unfair, that I finally shouted 'ENOUGH'.

Then Uncontrolled did not,

Did not pay, ANY attention to me what - so - ever,

And the meadow was so trashed that I was,

I was afraid I could no longer live there.

Suddenly I heard the Uncontrolled,

Scream in terror at something,

SOMEONE standing at the top of the hill."

The tree paused, staring at the meadow,

That he loved so much.

"It was Hope. Hope scared them away,

And she cleaned the meadow.

That's what we all need.

A little Hope."

I love disturbing orchestra music, freaking people out with scary stories, and running around like a lunatic in thunderstorms.