-

by teacher: Lisa Thomassen
Orpheus 05/08/12
Persuasion 04/21/12
Budget Priorities 04/06/12
Over-paid Athletes 04/04/12
Nationalism 03/20/12
The Noble Experiment 01/31/12
Be the Change 01/17/12
Life or Death 12/08/11
Mysterious Settings 11/12/11
Fear 10/25/11
Charles 10/03/11
Hired! 09/09/11
School 08/25/11

If I was Orpheus,I would most likely say that I do think before I act.most of the time I think before I act, but on a rare occasion, I act impulsively. One example of this is when I turned around when I should not have. A counterexample of this is when I decided to marry Eurydice.

Some topics that you could easily persuade people to do are to join a club, play a sport, or to like a certain thing. You could use the bandwagon appeal to get someone to join a club. You could the vanity appeal to get someone to play a sport that a famous person plays. The vanity appeal would also be great for getting someone to like a certain thing by saying that a famous person likes it.

During the next fiscal year, the federal government should get their priorities straight. The three most important things this money should go to are education, homeless people, and unemployment. Education teaches the youth of today to be good leaders. This helps creates higher stats for the U.S. Homeless people need a second chance. Any extra money should go to them so thius can happen. Unemployment is becoming a major problem. Without no annual income, families are more likely to become homeless. Why don't we skip this step in the first place and prevent unemployment.

Professional althletes are paid way too much. In the article, "Do Professional Althletes Get Paid Too Much?" by Justin Hjelm, he takes a stand in saying, "Athletes are paid far too much for simply playing games." I definitely am on the same side. Athletes are not a necessity. They are purely for entertainment. Also, I personally think it is insane that firefighters, who save lives, are paid less! Finally, are they actually playing because they want to play, or for the money? Using these facts, I have been able to come to the conclusion that professional athletes are paid way too much.

I think that Tolkien felt that nationalism was an important aspect of preventing war. In his novel, "The Hobbit" he uses the dwarves to help portray nationalism. This shows that without nationalism war would become frequent and inevitable. Tolkien, if he was alive, would probably say that without nationalism, war would be fought within a country and with other countries, and would be simply unavoidable.

Article posted February 1, 2012 at 12:36 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 35

When it comes down to qualities I look for in new people, there are certain ones I look for. The first, is humor. It is no fun to be joking around with someone and he or she doesn't get the joke. The next, is trust. If I think I can not trust someone it does not make me want to be close to them. The final, is that he or she needs to be understanding. If I have a story to share the understanding person will be able to help me see both sides of the story, while helping me see the correct side, and getting how I feel. Obviously, My process in choosing people is detailed yet understandable.

Hands

© Jherine N. Saine

I haven't forgotten

That I am just one person,

That I am but one voice

Attempting to stand out

From the crowd.

I remember

That I have fallen

Amidst the laughter

That surrounds me, and that sometimes

It gets too loud.

Source: Hands, Change Poem http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/hands#ixzz1jjmkK7zP

Family Friend Poems

This poem is similar to the Dr. Seuss book I have read called "The Lorax". The Lorax is trying to get everyone to change their ways to save the environment. he realizes he is only one Lorax but he can get others to help by "joining hands" with others. This poem fits into my life by showing that my opinion may not change everything but it can help make a decision. For example, at home I often never have a say, if I put in my two cents, it might make a difference in the final say. Agreeing with the Lorax, if we come together we can stop deforestation and environmental destruction. The world is severely suffering from these things. the world and this poem are very similar in that way.

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

In my opinion, life would be so depressing without family or friends. Scrooge does not care about his family or friends, he only cares about money, so our answers are complete opposites. If happiness comes from within, then the things that come from your heart should make you happiest. The things that are closest to my heart are the most important.

Article posted November 13, 2011 at 03:31 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 35

Some people might disagree, but I would say the best place to set a mystery is in a very Stephen King- like places. Obviuosly Stephen King always sets his stories in Maine but, the stories are also always in small, middle-of-nowhere, foggy, eerie towns. This would be the perfect place because it just has a creepy presence by its self, a mystery would only add to the suspense. The moor in "The Hound of the Baskervilles" has a similar description as my setting would. The only difference would be that mine wouldn't have abandoned Neanderthal homes in it.

Article posted October 26, 2011 at 01:20 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Fear affects everyone in different ways. However, I believe that generally fear only constricts us from reaching our full potential. If there was no such thing as fear, life would be simple and easy to breeze through. Fear allows us to think through our decisions before follwing through on them. Nevertheless, if our life consisted of only fear, we would never do anything exciting. Therefore, life would be boring with too much fear yet life-threatening with too little. Somewhere in the middle would be ideal when it comes to a "fear-o-meter" for life.