Copyright (c) 2014 by Caitlin M Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Caitlin M -- Blogmeister

Period2/3 2010

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Caitlin M

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Article posted February 12, 2011 at 09:16 PM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 207

When shaving cream is placed in a vacuum, it expands extremely quickly. This is because the air pressure outside of the shaving cream becomes lower than the pressure inside of the shaving cream and that causes the shaving cream to expand and continue expanding until the vacuum is turned off. Once some air is leaked into the vacuum or the lid is taken off of the vacuum, the shaving cream will become smaller again. This is because the air pressure outside of the shaving cream will once again become higher than the pressure inside of the shaving cream.

Article posted January 30, 2011 at 06:54 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

Wind farm

sites used: http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/65/1/How-wind-turbines-work.html

Wind power is energy that is obtained from turbine engines that are powered by wind. Turbines are giant poles that have blades on the end. The blades are positioned in a way that when the wind blows, they spin. When they spin is spins a low speed shaft with a gear at the end, this is connected to another gear on a high speed shaft that runs through a generator. The generator creates energy by a magnetic rotor on the high speed shaft spins inside loops of copper wire that are around an iron core. When the rotor spins around the core it makes electromagnetic induction through the coils and that generates an electrical current. The current is then fed into the grid so that it is energy that can be used.

Wind power doesn’t usually work as the only source of energy, it usually just fills in the gaps when it isn’t sunny out and solar power can’t be used, etc. The positive aspects of this energy resource is that it doesn’t harm the earth. It is a renewable energy source and it doesn’t leave a carbon footprint.

Article posted January 9, 2011 at 09:38 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 43

I think that my favorite part of science would have to be weather. This is because I find it really interesting how the weather changes so frequently. Also, in places like Long Island, there are 4 different seasons. I am really excited to learn weather which I think is our next topic. This would actually be one of the more helpful topics in science because then I might actually understand what the weathermen are saying on the news.

Article posted December 23, 2010 at 08:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

My favorite part of astronomy is the Big Bang Theory. This is because, it is really interesting how such a huge universe and all of outer space could have started from nothing. Also, the Earth is so big, yet it is very small compared to the other planets, and that also amazes me. Something that fascinates me even more is how space is measured in light years. Light travels so fast yet some things in outer space are billions of light years away, which shows how big space really is.

Christmas is in two days and I am so excited! I can't wait to see all of my family and just spend time with them! I think Christmas is my favorite holiday because everyone is always so happy, and my birthday is only like two weeks after Christmas!

Article posted November 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 43

To answer the questios, go to this link and read the article: http://www.astronomy.com/en/News-Observing/News/2010/01/2010%20The%20year%20of%20the%20baffling%20eclipse.aspx

1) How come this eclipse is ideal for amateur astronomers?

2) Professional astronomers might have trouble obseriving this star. Why?

3) Why is it good to have astronomers from all around the world? 

Article posted October 24, 2010 at 05:56 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 47

After reading the article "Earth-like Planet Can Sustain Life" I am now convinced that there is a possibility for there to be life on other planets. Professor Steven Vogt said that chances for life on planet Gliese 581g is 100%. This doesn't necessarily mean life is there, but it could be. I really think that there is life out there, maybe not aliens but some form of life, maybe as tiny as bacteria. Think about it, outerspace is HUGE and people on Earth haven't even explored half of it, could we really be the only ones here? There has to be other living things. Maybe they are looking for us as hard as we are looking for them, but technology for both of us isn't yet sophisticated enough for us to find eachother.

If you look at this picture, you can see in the center of the window there is some form of an unknown creature, and it is supposedly an alien. Maybe, this is the types of things that are out there and maybe even on the planet Gliese 581g. Maybe they have found us, but we haven't found them. The debate is really whether this photo is real or not, there has been millions of claimed alien citings and we can't prove many of them false or true. So, there possibly could be some form of life out there, we just have to wait for modern day technology to get even better so that maybe we can go out and explore space better. And in our exploration, maybe we will find other creatures, or "aliens".

Article posted October 11, 2010 at 09:40 PM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 49

This year, I tried out for the 8th grade volleyball team, and I made it! Last year in volleyball we only really focused on winning by just hitting the ball over the net. It was more like we were playing tennis and not volleyball. This year, we have a new coach and she is the highschool varsity's coach so she is tougher and expects more out of us. We have to play volleyball the "right" way, which is the hit the ball to the setter, the setter sets it to the outside hitter or middle and then they spike it. Playing volleyball the "right" way is a lot harder than just hitting it over the net, and so this year, we haven't won any games yet. Last year, we only lost two games out of eleven. This year, we have already lost three games. It's not that we are bad, it's just that it is harder to bump, set, spike than it is to just hit the ball over the net (which is what the other teams are doing). We are working really hard and I know that everyone on the team is frustrated with themselves and the team for losing. Hopefully we will start to get better at bumping, setting and then spiking, and then we will win some games.