Copyright (c) 2014 by Thomas F Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Thomas F -- Blogmeister

Period2/3 2010

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Thomas F

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Article posted February 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 293

Clouds form when moist air and cold, dry air combine. There are three components are necessary for clouds to form: water vapor, cool or cold air, and condensation nuclei. Condensation nuclei are particles of dust or dirt that are in the air. This dust might come from volcanoes, cars, or fires. The water vapor comes from water evaporating anywhere on the earth’s surface. The cold or cool air comes from how high the clouds form.

=++

Article posted January 10, 2011 at 09:55 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 66

Update on the NY Jets They beat the Colts 17 - 16 with a Nick Folk feild goal while time expired.  Next we play the New England Patriots that are 9 point favorites.

Article posted January 8, 2011 at 03:26 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

A huge asteroid discovered 100 years ago may not be an asteroid it might be a dormant comet that is coming back to life. The object, 596 Scheila, is about 70 miles wide and has a faint tail it may actually be a comet. If that's the case, then 596 Scheila would the sixth known comet to be in the main asteroid belt. it is very rare that comets are in the belt becaseu the ice shoud have ben vaperized already.

Article posted January 2, 2011 at 06:06 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 86

Last week the jets played the Bears and lost 34-38. But no more than 15 minutes later got in to the playoffs because the Jaguars lost. Now the Jest are 11-5 which is a really good record. They played the Bills today and beat them badly, even with the top 2 running backs and top 2 corner backs not playing. The Jets are ready for any team in the playoffs including the patriots.

Article posted January 2, 2011 at 05:31 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 90

My favorite part of earth science is astronomy.  But what i like the most is learning about our solar system because it is possible for someone while I am alive to get there. It gets my attention  because maybe just maybe I will be able to go there.

Article posted December 9, 2010 at 07:19 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 99

Did you know that there are more than seven other dwarf planets other than Pluto? The one I choose to write about is the one furthers away from our sun, Sedna, its orbit is around 76 to 1,000 AU, its orbit is very elliptical. It is weird that its orbit is so non circler it is almost as elliptical as a comet. The dwarf planet Sedna is only 1/3 the size of Pluto. Pluto is not even the biggest dwarf planet, Eris is the biggest dwarf planet. Sedna is in between the Kuiper Belt and Oort Cloud and is at average 1.5 million light years away. Sedan has no chance of life so don’t get any ideas.

Article posted November 17, 2010 at 05:01 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 152

Read the stroy and answer the Quistions:

The evidence began arriving 30 years ago from a star 50 million light-years away that had imploded, setting into motion events that created a region where gravity is so great that nothing can escape, even light.

The initial 1979 observation of the exploding star was made by an amateur astronomer from Western Maryland, but the profession's top scientists have studied it intently with increasingly sophisticated orbiting X-ray telescopes.

In announcing the discovery Monday at NASA headquarters, the researchers said that although the information they have collected is consistent with the birth of a baby black hole, they cannot rule out other possibilities. Nonetheless, they spoke enthusiastically about what they are learning and will learn about the evolution of black holes.

"We've never known before the exact birthday of a black hole, and now we can watch as it grows into a child and teenager," said Kimberly Weaver, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. "Learning about black holes has been like solving a puzzle, and this will help us get closer to a full understanding."

The researchers said that what they think is a black hole is about five times the mass of our sun and was formed from the explosion of a star about 20 times as massive as our sun. When very large stars explode - or go supernova - they may leave behind a fairly massive remnant that can then collapse in on itself. Eventually, it can collapse to the point of having no volume and infinite density - at which point it is a black hole.

The birth of the black hole in real time delivers a little-appreciated message about our galaxy and universe: It is always changing. Stars are born and die. Black holes are created, grow bigger and over time wither.

The time scale is usually way too great for people to observe, but the baby black hole is a reminder that even the cosmos is forever in flux.

"This is the first time we've been able to observe what certainly appears to be a black hole form and grow," said Daniel Patnaude, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"It makes sense for us to think of the universe as existing now as it always has and always will because that's what we experience," he said. "But the last 20 years of study have shown that, in fact, the universe changes every single day in significant ways, and this apparent black hole is a dramatic example of that."

The theory that black holes exist was first put forward by J. Robert Oppenheimer, based Albert Einstein's work on general relativity. That black holes dot the cosmos is now a well-accepted fact in astronomy and cosmology. Although they define darkness, black holes - or at least the disk surrounding the hole and pulling matter into it - can be quite bright. That process creates friction and light as huge masses of swirling matter are pulled down into what might be thought of as a kitchen drain.

The possible birth of a new black hole was announced by the implosion of supernova 1979C, detected by backyard astronomer and then-middle school teacher Gus Johnson from Swanton, Md., when he saw a star suddenly brightening. The presence of the supernova was reported and soon was followed by astronomers using new and more powerful X-ray telescopes. Supernova 1979C was only the third one in a galaxy beyond the Milky Way directly detected from the ground, and it has become one of the most important and studied.

Although the exploded star is a seemingly vast 50 million light-years away, that is considered to be close and in our neighborhood of the universe.

The most persuasive data that astronomers were seeing a black hole came from the orbiting Chandra telescope, which confirmed previous information from other American and European X-ray telescopes that the X-ray emission from the imploded star was surprisingly steady. Usually, the X-ray radiation coming off a supernova decreases relatively quickly, and the fact that it did not over the 12 years it was observed strongly suggested that a black hole had been formed.

Several kinds of black holes exist in the universe, including "supermassive" black holes that appear to be at the center of most or all galaxies - sending out enormous jets of very high-energy gamma rays that can be readily detected. Stellar black holes such as the one just found are less likely than the supermassives to send out the gamma ray bursts and have to be detected in a different way.

"This may be the first time that the common way of making a black hole has been observed," said co-author Abraham Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center. "Most black holes in the universe should form when the core of a star collapses and a gamma ray burst is not produced."

Patnaude said that although the amount of matter falling into the new black hole is now small, it will increase as the mass of the black hole increases. Nonetheless, it will take another million years to double in size.

Although the scientists spoke Monday in terms of the black hole being 30 years old, it took 50 million years for the evidence to arrive, so the birth actually occurred long ago. It's only now that we're learning about it.

1)     How many other supernovas have scientists seen outside the Milky Way galaxy?

2)     How big was the star that exploded to create the black hole?

3)     In the end of the aticle it says scientists say the black hole is thirty years old but it took 50 million years for the evidence to get here why is that?

Article posted October 23, 2010 at 05:22 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

I need some help here my Xbox 360 has 3 red lights around the power button and I have no idea how to fix it. I know I can send it back to micro soft to fix it for free but that takes 6 to 8 weeks and I can’t go that long without Xbox so if you know how to fix this problem please comment how to do it or give me a like.

Thank you

Article posted October 23, 2010 at 05:17 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 68

Recently there scientist have found a plant where they say it has liquid water, the right temperature and the right gravity for LIFE.  This planet is called Gliese 581 g.  Scientists say that this planet has a 100% chance for life.  But if you think about it there are over 500 billion galaxies that we can see and probably trillions and trillions more. Out of all those galaxies there are trillions of plants in each of them. Don’t you think 1 of them has some kind of life?

Article posted October 12, 2010 at 08:47 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 74

Hi! MY name is Thomas and I love football, soccer, baseball, and Xbox 360. My favorite sports are football, baseball and soccer. My favorite teams for football baseball and soccer are the NY Jets, the NY Mets, and the NY Red Bulls. I play many sports, I play soccer, baseball, basket ball, volleyball and I am also good at football, and track. I like playing sports and playing Xbox 360, NOT PS3, in my spare time. My favorite game for Xbox is Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.  Also I am a level 5, out of 6, NYSSAMA player for the cello.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS