Copyright (c) 2014 by RedSoxHater#1 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RedSoxHater#1 -- Blogmeister

RedSoxHater#1

2009

by RedSoxHater#1

teacher: Gordon Brune

Letter to my 12th grade self (A) 06/26/09
Constitution Works (A) 06/26/09
A Great Movie (A) 06/22/09
Embarrassing 2 Sing (A) 06/03/09
The bees that like video games! (N) 05/29/09
AR TEST for Half Magic (WP) 05/27/09
AR test for Alcatraz versus the evil librarians (WP) 05/27/09
AR Test for The Calder Game (WP) 05/27/09
AR Test for The Year of the Hangman (WP) 05/27/09
Deep sea creatures (N) 05/15/09

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 10:15 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 196

LETTER TO MY 12TH GRADE SELF

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 09:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 53

Brief and Oral Argument, Denver Dispatch

May it please the court; we are the petitioners, representing the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch from publishing articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

This case is all about how the Denver Dispatch should publish articles about secrets about the government’s biological warfare. We believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about if Charles Schenck could publish anti-war leaflets that said the government shouldn’t be able to force young men into war. Congress had passed a new law that said it was against the law to encourage men to not be drafted for the war.

Justice Holmes wrote as part of the majority, ““We have to ask ourselves every time that we look at a case, ‘Are the words that are said or written used in such a way that they cause a clear and present danger?’…It is a question of how close is this possible danger and how dangerous it could be. Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch has words that can cause danger. Also, things that are allowed in the Denver Dispatch in peacetime are dangerous in wartime.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about whether Jay Near could publish his newspaper, the Saturday Press. The newspaper attacked everyone physically and emotionally.

Justice Hughes wrote as part of the majority that, ““We have usually believed that freedom of the press means that a newspaper can publish what is wants and that the government cannot stop it from publishing what it wants.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the First Amendment protects the Denver Dispatch’s right to publish what it wants. The Denver Dispatch can publish information on the biological warfare (anthrax X).

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about if the New York Times could publish the “Pentagon Papers” and if they were breaking a law publishing these papers with secret information.

Justice White wrote as part of the majority, ““There are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because there are times when the Denver Dispatch can get prevented from publishing information but this time is not one of those times.

The last reasons we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written that in the Constitution that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press. Congress is not allowed to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, and broadcasting.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the government has no right to stop the Denver Dispatch from writing and printing.

It is also written in the Constitution that the people of the United States set out rules that the government must follow. The Constitution was made to keep peace in the nation, bring about justice, defend the nation a s a whole from foreign enemies, make peoples’ lives better, and make sure that the people remain free.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the Denver Dispatch was written to warn the people of anthrax x. This defends people’s lives.

You have heard the arguments from the petitioner, the Denver Dispatch. We ask the Justices to uphold the freedom of the press granted in the First Amendment and to allow the newspaper to continue to publish the articles about biological warfare research.

Brief and Oral Argument, United States Government

May it please the court; we are the respondents, representing the United States government.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to uphold the court order that the lower court and the appeals court imposed on the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

This case is about not letting the Denver Dispatch publish military secrets about biological warfare in Boulder, Colorado.

We believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about Charles Schenck printing 15, 000 leaflets.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote as part of the majority, “What someone is constitutionally allowed to do depends upon the time and place in which it is done. . .Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we are in a war. Freedom of speech isn’t important while in a war.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about Jay Near publishing a newspaper which was anti-Jewish, anti-government, and it attacked everyone: gangsters, police, commissioners, and even the mayor.

Justice Butler wrote as part of the minority, “The newspaper has already published false and outrageous stories that harm the reputations of various people. The use of the law in this case is a way of punishing the newspaper for already abusing its right of freedom of the press.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the Freedom of the Press.

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about whether it was constitutional for the New York Times to publish past military secrets and the thinking of the U.S. generals.

Justice Blackmun wrote as part of the minority opinion. “Each section of the Constitution is important and [we] do not believe that the First Amendment is so important. . . .”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we believe the First Amendment isn’t that important that it stands above the other sections.

The last reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written in the Constitution that the Constitution was made to “keep peace in the nation.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because if the lab gives out secrets there will be no peace in the nation.

It is also written in the Constitution that “the President is the Chief Executive.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because he (or she) must protect us if he (or she) thinks it is dangerous.

You have heard the arguments from the respondents, the United States government. We ask the Justices to uphold the constitutional right of the government to protect the national security by blocking the Denver Dispatch articles on biological warfare research.

Denver Dispatch v. United States 2009

Docket Number 93-8000

1. The Story:

The government want to stop the publication of the Denver Dispatch newspaper because they think it’s saying military secrets about a biological weapons laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. In the lower courts the Denver Dispatch lost and they kept appealing until they got to the Supreme Court.

2. The Denver Dispatch Goes to the Supreme Court

The lawyers for the government argued:

The lawyers for the government argued that the Denver Dispatch should not publish the Denver Dispatch because they thought it was giving away military secrets. They argued that the First Amendment right to Freedom of the Press was not the most important Amendment.

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued:

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued that they have the freedom to print their articles and the people should know what the military is doing in the lab.

The Supreme Court Justices decided:

The Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 in favor of the Denver Dispatch.

Writing for the majority, Justice RockGirl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, RockGirl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because you can’t break the Constitution because terrorists “might” attack or “may” attack. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing because if the government stops the Denver Dispatch from publishing terrorists may still attack.

Writing for the majority, Justice Mets1 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, Mets1, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because like the Denver Dispatch said, terrorists won’t attack because it is peace time not war time.

I believe the Government doesn’t have the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because the Congress has no right to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, or broadcasting. I don’t think they have anything to be worried about because it is peacetime.

Writing for the majority, Justice SuperStar9 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, SuperStar9, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because, “there are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.” But this time is not one of those times. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military in Boulder, Colorado. We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the freedom of the press. But they aren’t publishing false and outrageous stories. So why punish them?

Writing for the majority, Justice HolibackGurl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, HolibackGurl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe that they have this right because they published one article and there has been no terrorist attack. Also they are warning people about this Anthrax X so if this stuff got out it could have killed someone. I do not believe the government has this Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they put national security in front of the First Amendment. Also they didn’t do very well about answering questions.

Writing for the majority, Justice BlackPanther voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, BlackPanther, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because the people should know what the government is doing in the lab. The government said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why are they afraid that the Denver Dispatch will publish the secrets? We are in peacetime not in wartime. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why should they be afraid. The Denver Dispatch has freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Writing for the minority, Justice Alvarez voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Mario64, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because they want to publish papers that reveal the military secrets. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because it’s revealing military secrets that are not supposed to be heard even if there is a virus or anything that might get us sick.

Writing for the minority, FamousStar3000, voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, FamousStar3000, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I think the government has the right to stop publishing these articles. The government wants to keep our county safe. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish these articles. The articles might fall into the wrong hands and something bad might happen. Even though it’s been peacetime for a long time, you don’t know what can happen. Something can happen any day now if those articles are published.

Writing for the minority, Justice Luigi2Power voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Luigi2Power, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military lab in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have the right because like they said, if the newspaper was published then our enemies can find out and the public might worry. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish information about the military secrets because our enemies might find out, and they will make a plan to destroy us.

Writing for the minority, Justice MusicGirl voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, MusicGirl, believe the Government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory. I believe they have this right because what if the next five articles put us in danger if they are published? What if people find out more about Anthrax X and it gets in the wrong hands and hurts innocent people and the military can’t get there in time to stop the Anthrax X? Like the attorneys for the government said, “The First Amendment isn’t the most important part of the Constitution.” I believe that because it’s not the only Amendment or the only part of the Constitution. I think they should all be thought of as equally. Also, like the people in my family say, “You’re better safe than sorry.” I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Bolder, Colorado. First, when I saw the attorneys argue for the Denver Dispatch they looked like they weren’t collected. But when I saw the attorneys argue for the government, I thought that they were very put together and knew what they were doing. Second, I liked the way they said their argument and stated their rebuttal. They answered the questions very clearly, and I wasn’t as confused when they were stating their rebuttal and argument. So that’s why I agree with the government.

The main characters in the movie “The Sandlot,” are Ben, Bill, Mom, and the players, but the most important character was "Smalls." (At least that’s what his team calls him.) It takes place in a place that could really be anywhere. All you would need is a baseball field and kids will come. You should see “The Sandlot”.

First of all, it is scary, so for the people that like a scare there is one for you. You should see this movie.

Secondly, it is good for sport fans. It is just like a game of baseball on TV.

Finally, it is funny. There are a lot of jokes that are very funny. Mostly kid jokes, and the class loved them!

So if you want to see a movie that is funny, sporty, and scary you should see “The Sandlot.” So get off your couch, and stop watching bad movies! Go buy “The Sandlot."

Article posted June 3, 2009 at 02:43 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 68

Are you sick of Choir? Are you trying to decide whether to make Choir optional or not? If you have these questions then you should read this. Music teachers should not make us participate in Choir.

First of all, it isn’t fun. You aren’t allowed to talk, and if you do you get in trouble. So it is basically more time to get in trouble. And who likes to sit around for thirty minutes?!

Another reason is it is a waste of time. If not a lot of people sing it’s just people doing nothing or people getting yelled at to sing. I know I would rather take a boring test or read; I don’t even like those things.

And finally, the boys don’t like it. I HATE it, but that’s just me, I know some of my friends would rather do homework so they can play later than do Choir. To me, it is just more time to get in trouble. When kids get bored they try to find a way to entertain themselves. It's also just another place that stops a kid from letting his or her energy out. Then they will do worse in school and worse with kids after school.

I guess “some” kids like singing or being on a stage. Well, I can do a presentation on a stage but not something as embarrassing as singing. But I think they are still wrong because not “everyone” likes to sing so this is miserable for people like me. They should just have a group or sign up to do that stuff like the play if you don’t want to do it just don’t sign up.

Now you can see that music teachers should not make us do Choir because you can get bored, talk, and get in trouble. Do you want to get in trouble? Well, I don’t think so. So music teachers, make Choir optional.

Article posted May 29, 2009 at 02:31 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 73

There was this beehive on the side of a GameSpot store. When the Queen bee left the hive they tried to follow her scent and it brought them to a video game store. (I didn't know queen bees like video games.) The store employees tried to put an end to it with a call to 911 but they refused to help. It wasn't an "emergency." They told the employees to try 311. They couln't help either. They even contacted the mayor. Meanwhile a good samaritan tried to capture some in a bag. But that was nothing, there were still a ton of bees. Finally after a couple hours living in "bee tornado," a bee expert lured the bees away with a fake version of the queens scent. They are now in Upstate New York bothering someone there.

Want to know something surprising, not one person got stung by a bee. I guess the bees really wanted the Bee Movie video game or something.

[LINK]

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 07:18 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 54

[Editor's note: After reading a book, students are invited to compose an Accelerated Reader (AR) quiz. The quiz is added to the school's computer database of AR quizzes and other students are invited to take the quiz and earn points towards prizes! The answers for this quiz have not been revealed in case someone wants to take the quiz.]

1: What was the order of the children from youngest to oldest?

A. Jane, Martha, Mark, Katharine

B. Katharine, Martha, Mark, Jane

C. Jane, Mark, Katharine, Martha

D. Mark, Martha, Katharine, Jane

2: Who was the first one to get the charm?

A. Mark

B. Jane

C. Martha

D. Katharine

3: What happened when the children’s’ mother wished herself home?

A. She was home

B. She was in the patio

C. She was halfway home

D. Nothing

4: How did the mother get a hold of the charm?

A. She needed a nickel for the carfare

B. She found out about the charm

C. She the charm on the floor

D. She needed the charm

5: What happened when Martha was half- there?

A. She went into a bookstore

B. She wished herself back

C. She went home

D. She went back in the theater

6: What did the children call Mr. Smith?

A. Hugo

B. Huge

C. Hugh

D. Uncle Huge

7: What did the children’s’ mother thought she was going?

A. Blind

B. Deaf

C. Insane

D. Paralyzed

8: What did the children’s’ mother want to change about Mr. Smith?

A. His mustache

B. His voice

C. His car

D. His height

9: How long did the children have the charm?

A. 3 days

B. 1 week

C. 10 days

D. 1 day

10: What was Jane’s last wish?

A. For her father

B. To go to sleep

C. To have a new family

D. To start a fire

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 07:17 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 213

1. What does Alcatraz do a lot?

A. Break things

B. Arrive late

C. Talk nonsense

D. Fall down

2. What does Alcatraz do to his last foster parents house?

A. Burn it down

B. Put gum under the table

C. Burn the kitchen

D. Knock the shed down

3. How did grandfather Smedry dodge the bullets?

A. He jumped

B. He caught it

C. He super fast

D. He arrived late

4. What is more advanced in grandfather Smedry mind?

A. A sphere

B. A gun

C. A sword

D. A missile

5. How many continents are on the world map in the library?

A. 6

B. 7

C. 9

D. 10

6. What kind of glasses do librarians use?

A. Warrior

B. Horn rimed

C. Tracker

D. Normal

7. What kind of lenses did the sands of Rashid make?

A. Fire bringer

B. Tracker

C. Oculary

D. Translator

8. What is special about Quentin’s power?

A. It tells the past

B. It tells the future

C. It means nothing

D. It’s super powerful

9. When is Alcatraz tied to a altar?

A. At the end of the book

B. In the middle

C. At the beginning

D. Never happens

10. What language does Alcatraz’s father write to him in?

A. English

B. Spanish

C. Librarian

D. Forgotten Language

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 07:16 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 218

1. What does Calder play with?

A. Blocks

B. Dominoes

C. Pentominos

D. Shapes

2. What was Calder named after?

A. a Artist

B. a Author

C. a Explorer

D. a Famous police officer

3. What did Art Wish do?

A. paint

B. draw

C. collect art

D. steal art

4. How did Tommy and Petra feel about each other at the end of the book?

A. They hated each other

B. They only liked each other around Calder

C. They were friends

D. They really didn’t like each other or hate each other

5. What was the name of the Calder Sculpture?

A. The Minotaur

B. The Goldman

C. The Tree

D. The Waterfall

6. Art Wish was related to______

A. Ms. Knowsley

B. Mr. Pillay

C. Calder Pillay

D. Ms. Button

7. Tommy found a coin from the ______s.

A. 1600

B. 1800

C. 1700

D. 1900

8. Tommy is the _______ of the group.

A. Writer

B. Collector

C. Artist

D. Smart one

9. Calder was found in (or on) a_______.

A. Waterfall

B. Highway

C. Bamboo

D. Maze

10. What did people think about the Minotaur after Calder was found?

A. They still hated it

B. They hated it more

C. They wanted to move it

D. They liked it

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 07:16 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 223

1. Who sent Creighton away?

A. Himself

B. Lieutenant hale

C. His Mother

D. Colonel Gower

2. What was the name of the boat that captured Creighton’s boat?

A. Amity

B. Revenge

C. Liberty

D. Join or Die

3. What was Dr Franklins secret newspaper called?

A. Revolution

B. Not Over Yet

C. Liberty Tree

D. Freedom Tree

4. Who did Creighton steal the pistol from?

A. Sophie

B. Lieutenant Hale

C. Peter

D. Dr Franklin

5. Who did the pistol belong too?

A. Peter

B. George Washington

C. John Adams

D. Benedict Arnold

6. Why was Creighton hit by his uncle?

A. Creighton insulted him

B. Creighton hit him

C. Creighton wanted to follow his uncle

D. Creighton wanted food

7. Benedict Arnold was spying for the…

A. British

B. French

C. American

D. Spanish

8. Creighton’s father was _____ all the years he was gone.

A. Hanged

B. Taken Prisoner

C. Killed in battle

D. Safe at his house

9. Where was Creighton shot?

A. head

B. foot

C. arm

D. leg

10. General Washington was…

A. Hanged

B. Taken Prisoner

C. Killed in battle

D. Shipped to another land

Article posted May 15, 2009 at 02:48 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 111

There are these crazy fish that this scientist found. It is cool. There are fish with transparent brains and stuff.

I would love having one of those fish as my pet.

[LINK]

Books I’ve read:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
See other books we’ve read HERE

I'm SMART and I have my Internet Driver's License!

smart

Get "AnswerTips" about ANY word on this website by double clicking the word!