Copyright (c) 2014 by Mario64 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mario64 -- Blogmeister

Mario64

2009

by Mario64

teacher: Gordon Brune

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 271

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brune/3631869275/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/brune/3631869275/" title="my 12th grade self by 5B@MAS, on Flickr">my  12th grade self

Article posted June 26, 2009 at 09:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 50

Brief and Oral Argument, Denver Dispatch

May it please the court; we are the petitioners, representing the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch from publishing articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

This case is all about how the Denver Dispatch should publish articles about secrets about the government’s biological warfare. We believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about if Charles Schenck could publish anti-war leaflets that said the government shouldn’t be able to force young men into war. Congress had passed a new law that said it was against the law to encourage men to not be drafted for the war.

Justice Holmes wrote as part of the majority, ““We have to ask ourselves every time that we look at a case, ‘Are the words that are said or written used in such a way that they cause a clear and present danger?’…It is a question of how close is this possible danger and how dangerous it could be. Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch has words that can cause danger. Also, things that are allowed in the Denver Dispatch in peacetime are dangerous in wartime.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about whether Jay Near could publish his newspaper, the Saturday Press. The newspaper attacked everyone physically and emotionally.

Justice Hughes wrote as part of the majority that, ““We have usually believed that freedom of the press means that a newspaper can publish what is wants and that the government cannot stop it from publishing what it wants.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the First Amendment protects the Denver Dispatch’s right to publish what it wants. The Denver Dispatch can publish information on the biological warfare (anthrax X).

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about if the New York Times could publish the “Pentagon Papers” and if they were breaking a law publishing these papers with secret information.

Justice White wrote as part of the majority, ““There are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because there are times when the Denver Dispatch can get prevented from publishing information but this time is not one of those times.

The last reasons we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written that in the Constitution that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press. Congress is not allowed to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, and broadcasting.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the government has no right to stop the Denver Dispatch from writing and printing.

It is also written in the Constitution that the people of the United States set out rules that the government must follow. The Constitution was made to keep peace in the nation, bring about justice, defend the nation a s a whole from foreign enemies, make peoples’ lives better, and make sure that the people remain free.

We believe that this applies to the Denver Dispatch because the Denver Dispatch was written to warn the people of anthrax x. This defends people’s lives.

You have heard the arguments from the petitioner, the Denver Dispatch. We ask the Justices to uphold the freedom of the press granted in the First Amendment and to allow the newspaper to continue to publish the articles about biological warfare research.

Brief and Oral Argument, United States Government

May it please the court; we are the respondents, representing the United States government.

We appear before you today to ask the Supreme Court to uphold the court order that the lower court and the appeals court imposed on the Denver Dispatch newspaper.

This case is about not letting the Denver Dispatch publish military secrets about biological warfare in Boulder, Colorado.

We believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory.

The first reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Schenck v. United States, in 1919.

This case was about Charles Schenck printing 15, 000 leaflets.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote as part of the majority, “What someone is constitutionally allowed to do depends upon the time and place in which it is done. . .Things which we allow in peacetime are sometimes too dangerous to allow in wartime.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we are in a war. Freedom of speech isn’t important while in a war.

The second reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper to publish further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in Near v. Minnesota in 1931.

This case was about Jay Near publishing a newspaper which was anti-Jewish, anti-government, and it attacked everyone: gangsters, police, commissioners, and even the mayor.

Justice Butler wrote as part of the minority, “The newspaper has already published false and outrageous stories that harm the reputations of various people. The use of the law in this case is a way of punishing the newspaper for already abusing its right of freedom of the press.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the Freedom of the Press.

The third reason we believe the Supreme Court should forbid the newspaper from publishing further articles about biological warfare research at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the past Supreme Court decision in New York Times v. United States in 1971.

This case was about whether it was constitutional for the New York Times to publish past military secrets and the thinking of the U.S. generals.

Justice Blackmun wrote as part of the minority opinion. “Each section of the Constitution is important and [we] do not believe that the First Amendment is so important. . . .”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because we believe the First Amendment isn’t that important that it stands above the other sections.

The last reason we believe the Supreme Court should remove the court order that forbids the Denver Dispatch to publish articles about biological warfare at the Boulder Research Laboratory is because of the what is written in the United States Constitution.

It is written in the Constitution that the Constitution was made to “keep peace in the nation.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because if the lab gives out secrets there will be no peace in the nation.

It is also written in the Constitution that “the President is the Chief Executive.”

We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because he (or she) must protect us if he (or she) thinks it is dangerous.

You have heard the arguments from the respondents, the United States government. We ask the Justices to uphold the constitutional right of the government to protect the national security by blocking the Denver Dispatch articles on biological warfare research.

Denver Dispatch v. United States 2009

Docket Number 93-8000

1. The Story:

The government want to stop the publication of the Denver Dispatch newspaper because they think it’s saying military secrets about a biological weapons laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. In the lower courts the Denver Dispatch lost and they kept appealing until they got to the Supreme Court.

2. The Denver Dispatch Goes to the Supreme Court

The lawyers for the government argued:

The lawyers for the government argued that the Denver Dispatch should not publish the Denver Dispatch because they thought it was giving away military secrets. They argued that the First Amendment right to Freedom of the Press was not the most important Amendment.

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued:

The lawyers for the Denver Dispatch argued that they have the freedom to print their articles and the people should know what the military is doing in the lab.

The Supreme Court Justices decided:

The Supreme Court voted 5 to 4 in favor of the Denver Dispatch.

Writing for the majority, Justice RockGirl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, RockGirl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because you can’t break the Constitution because terrorists “might” attack or “may” attack. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing because if the government stops the Denver Dispatch from publishing terrorists may still attack.

Writing for the majority, Justice Mets1 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, Mets1, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because like the Denver Dispatch said, terrorists won’t attack because it is peace time not war time.

I believe the Government doesn’t have the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because the Congress has no right to make laws that stop people from speaking, writing, printing, or broadcasting. I don’t think they have anything to be worried about because it is peacetime.

Writing for the majority, Justice SuperStar9 voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, SuperStar9, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military Laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because, “there are times in which the press can be prevented from publishing information about government plans or operations.” But this time is not one of those times. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military in Boulder, Colorado. We believe this applies to the Denver Dispatch case because the Denver Dispatch is already abusing the freedom of the press. But they aren’t publishing false and outrageous stories. So why punish them?

Writing for the majority, Justice HolibackGurl voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. She wrote:

I, HolibackGurl, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe that they have this right because they published one article and there has been no terrorist attack. Also they are warning people about this Anthrax X so if this stuff got out it could have killed someone. I do not believe the government has this Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they put national security in front of the First Amendment. Also they didn’t do very well about answering questions.

Writing for the majority, Justice BlackPanther voted in favor of the Denver Dispatch. He wrote:

I, BlackPanther, believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because the people should know what the government is doing in the lab. The government said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why are they afraid that the Denver Dispatch will publish the secrets? We are in peacetime not in wartime. I do not believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because they said they have the cure for Anthrax X so why should they be afraid. The Denver Dispatch has freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Writing for the minority, Justice Alvarez voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Mario64, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have this right because they want to publish papers that reveal the military secrets. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado because it’s revealing military secrets that are not supposed to be heard even if there is a virus or anything that might get us sick.

Writing for the minority, FamousStar3000, voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, FamousStar3000, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing about the military laboratory in Boulder, Colorado. I think the government has the right to stop publishing these articles. The government wants to keep our county safe. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish these articles. The articles might fall into the wrong hands and something bad might happen. Even though it’s been peacetime for a long time, you don’t know what can happen. Something can happen any day now if those articles are published.

Writing for the minority, Justice Luigi2Power voted in favor of the government. He wrote:

I, Luigi2Power, believe the government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military lab in Boulder, Colorado. I believe they have the right because like they said, if the newspaper was published then our enemies can find out and the public might worry. I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the right to publish information about the military secrets because our enemies might find out, and they will make a plan to destroy us.

Writing for the minority, Justice MusicGirl voted in favor of the government. She wrote:

I, MusicGirl, believe the Government has the Constitutional right to stop the Denver Dispatch from publishing information about the military laboratory. I believe they have this right because what if the next five articles put us in danger if they are published? What if people find out more about Anthrax X and it gets in the wrong hands and hurts innocent people and the military can’t get there in time to stop the Anthrax X? Like the attorneys for the government said, “The First Amendment isn’t the most important part of the Constitution.” I believe that because it’s not the only Amendment or the only part of the Constitution. I think they should all be thought of as equally. Also, like the people in my family say, “You’re better safe than sorry.” I do not believe the Denver Dispatch has the Constitutional right to publish information about the military laboratory in Bolder, Colorado. First, when I saw the attorneys argue for the Denver Dispatch they looked like they weren’t collected. But when I saw the attorneys argue for the government, I thought that they were very put together and knew what they were doing. Second, I liked the way they said their argument and stated their rebuttal. They answered the questions very clearly, and I wasn’t as confused when they were stating their rebuttal and argument. So that’s why I agree with the government.

Article posted June 18, 2009 at 05:08 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 92

If you like to play baseball then you should see "The Sand Lot." And if you like to laugh then that’s another reason to see the movie.

The "Sand Lot" is about all this kids and one animal. The kids' names are Benny, Bill, The Beast, Squint, and Smalls. They play at a sand lot, and there is a house that has a really scary dog. They have no ball to play with so Smalls gets one that his dad had signed, a baseball that was signed by Babe Ruth. Benny was really good so he hit the ball where THE BEAST was. They were trying to get it but they did not want to because THE BEAST was right where the fence was.

You should see the movie if you like to play baseball and like to laugh. I like this movie because I like to laugh. When I saw it we all laughed.

The first reason is if you like to watch baseball because they play A LOT of baseball.

The second reason is that if you like dogs because there is a huge dog in this movie that has to be locked.

The last reason is if you like to laugh because I know I do and there are a lot of funny scenes.

So you should go to see the "Sand Lot" if you like baseball and if you want to go laugh. You should see the "Sand Lot."

Article posted June 8, 2009 at 03:12 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 74

DO YOU WANT TO PLAY FOR 30 MINNUTES AT RECCESS?

If you like recess would you want to play for exactly 30 minnutes? We should play for 30 minutes.

The first reason is that we have to recharge because then we are ready for anything and we won’t fall asleep.

Another reason is that it is the only time we have freedom to do whatever we want to do for 30 minutes.

Most importantly, it is the only time we can exercise to make our legs stronger and our bodies healthy.

Teachers don’t let us play for exactly 30 minutes because they say we never pay attention and always scream. Another reason is that we always walk the track so slow and that takes away time. But their wrong because it is the only time we can exercise.

Now remember, if your teacher never lets you play for 30 minutes, write a letter to the principal and say that it is the only time we can exercise.

Article posted May 29, 2009 at 02:46 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 128

Have you ever had homework on your computer and your little brother or sister deleted it? Then you should hear this story. It all happened when Pipi was near the computer and decided to go online to buy the toy truck that his mom already had ordered. But he changed to a real earth digger and when the mom checked her email she saw that she had ordered a real earth digger. She called the company because they sent her a email that she had to pay 20,000 dollars in New Zealand. (In the US it is 12,300 dollars.)

Wow, if that was my brother or sister I would be in a lot of trouble for what my brother or sister did.

http://www.dogonews.com/2009/05/26/and-sold-to-three-year-old-pipi

Article posted May 20, 2009 at 03:28 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 81

Survey Results - GlowDay.com
Get This -

Article posted May 19, 2009 at 03:18 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 100

http://www.dogonews.com/2009/05/13/the-world-s-smallest-roadworthy-toy-car

An inventor just got his way into the Guiness Book of World Records for the FOURTH TIME. He got to the Guinness of World Records because he got the idea of trying to break his own record of making the smallest car in the world. The car was build because he was looking through the Internet. He saw a website, and there was a toy that was made for little kids. He bought a car that was not working and he fixed it and beat his record.

Wow, if it was a toy for kids like me, I would have my own.

http://www.dogonews.com/2009/05/13/the-world-s-smallest-roadworthy-toy-car?subtype=News#comments

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 03:28 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 80

Get This - Survey Results - GlowDay.com

Article posted May 1, 2009 at 03:18 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 108

A kid interviewed more people than an average reporter would. All started in 2008 when he interviewed the Vice President Joe bBden in Octobor. He even went to the President's Inaugural Ceremony, but now he got offered a full college scholarship which will be awarded to him him in June.

If i was that kid I would so love it. I think he does to.

Article posted April 17, 2009 at 02:49 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 49

This doesn't go well, and Jake is currently branded a traitor . Tiffany and co tiffany rings canada jewellery is the most beautiful jewellery all over the world . Tiffany Jewellery was scouted whilst performing on stage in her home tiffany silver jewelry outlet country . "We've been very cautious in this respect," said cheap tiffany uk Kowalski . The high availability of crack offs can however make it is also the inspiration behind her natural brains of method and chic to create stunning tiffany necklace infused with her belief that unadorned tailor can be easily imitated, tiffany rings and buyers should be alert about owning your own part of designer tiffany earrings . The spiritual knowledge from the Discount Pandora Bracelets Hometree, The Tree of Souls along with tiffany bracelet canada the Floating Mountains will enthrall you and expand your experience . Pashminas are developed from viscose (an natural and organic solid wood cellulose acetate employed to cheap tiffany sale generate rayon), a multi-colored pashmina can provide back though again to existence a substantially more staid outfit . The auction ite Bride and her handsand want to chose goods included two Tiffany necklaces valued at a total of $550; pearl earrings valued at $300; assorted costume jewelry of unknown value; an iHome with speakers valued at $70; an iPod valued at $170; a jewelry box containing jewelry of unknown value; a laptop computer valued at $1,000; a flat-screen TV valued at $400; a Tiffany bracelet valued at $200; and a bracelet with 20 charms valued at $500, Seattle brides and their grooms, friends, and family, tiffany charms browsed silent auction items and chatted with photographers, bakers, stationers, and other professionals in an intimate, elegant, boutique wedding-show setting, while others clinked cocktail glasses, feasted on Four Seasons fare, and enjoyed the music of the Jason Parker Quartet . Jake ought to pass lab tests from riding tremendous horses to capturing a Banshee, a especially big tiffany and co canada dragon like creature which he then learns to ride.

Books I’ve read:

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
See other books we’ve read HERE

I'm SMART and I have my Internet Driver's License!

smart

Get "AnswerTips" about ANY word on this website by double clicking the word!