Article posted March 28, 2012 at 06:33 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 71

A Kiss In Time

Book By: Alex Flinn  Paragraph By: LH6

A Kiss In Time, which has the themes of lost love and princess-and-commoner, is one of my favorite books! It’s like a modern-day Sleeping Beauty story. Once upon a time, Princess Talia was cursed by a witch, pricked her finger on a spinning wheel, and her entire kingdom fell into a deep sleep. 300 years later, a boy named Jack discovers her in a tower by mistake, and kisses her for a dare and for the fun of it. What he didn’t know is that her entire kingdom would awake! They all blame him for waking them up their princess, and they want to get rid of him! But Talia is convinced that Jack is destined to be her true love. When he escapes, she comes with him. But imagine being away for 300 years! Everything has changed, and Talia has no idea about any of the modern things in our world. Between partying, learning about every new thing in the past three centuries, trying to get Jack to love her, trying to find work, and trying to escape the witch who cursed her, Mavolia, how will Talia survive in this new world? This book is romantic, sweet, and funny, and will always be one of my favorites.

Have you ever wondered what daily life was like in the Medieval Ages in Scotland?

Life was very different than what it is like today. Back then, women basically had barely any rights. Their main purpose was to have children. And back then, most marriages were arranged, and the husband had complete control over his wife. And what about the food? Back then, poorer people mostly ate bread, garden vegetables, and fresh meat. During the winter, they would eat the meat preserved in salt, although salt was very expensive. And guess what? They ate things like peacock and porpoise! They also had never heard of potatoes. You may ask, how was religion different back then? Well, religion was a very important part of daily life back then. A lot of men and women became monks and nuns. There were a few towns that were built off of churches. 

Have you ever wondered about the level of knowledge of medicine back then? First, in order to become a doctor or apothecary, you had to have studied for 10 years, much longer than now. Complicated battle surgery was performed on soldiers. And they believed that your blood had to be perfectly balanced, so they would remove some sometimes!

Have you ever thought about living in a castle? Life at the castle was the good life indeed. The king had loads of servants that would work in the kitchen, do household chores, and entertain the nobles with music and reading. Romance stories were read and acted as entertainment mostly to richer people back then. Music was played one note at a time on a variety of instruments. The castle was very colorful and alive.

And what about clothes? Have you ever thought about what kind of clothes they wore back then? The way it went then was: the simpler your clothes were, the poorer you were. Nobles had access to any fabric they wanted, while peasants and lower classes wore belted tunics (longer for the women), leather shoes, and stockings. Later on, some people wore hats. Lower class women’s clothes were made of wool, but richer women’s clothing was very layered and had colorful and detailed fabric.

Have you ever thought of what would happen if you were in an arranged marriage? How would you feel if you married someone you might not have met before in your life? This might be how the women felt back then. The law says that women were able to marry at 12 years old (that’s how old I turning next week! I could never imagine getting married now!) and boys could marry at 14. Noble weddings normally ended with feasting and celebration.

And that’s how life was in Medieval Scotland!

Sources:

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 06:14 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 38

I love to swim. I have been on swim team for almost seven years now. Swimming puts you under a lot of pressure sometimes, though. Take this instance from last year.

My team was facing the toughest team in our area. They had beaten us every single year for the past twenty years. We really wanted to win.

I could tell by the anxious looks in the judges’ eyes that we were neck-and-neck with the other team. It was all coming down to the final race: the freestyle relay.

The last event was an eighteen-and-under boys relay. The other team’s swimmers were fierce. They even looked stronger than our boys. Both teams hopped up on the blocks.

I stared at our swimmers on the blocks’ faces. They were anxious, every part of them shaking with anxiety.

And then the horn blew, and they took off.

They were neck and neck the whole time, even with their boys being stronger. I could tell that our boys knew that they needed to go fast. Our team depended on this race to win.

And then the two final swimmers came up to the blocks. Our swimmer was shaking all over, staring at the tall, muscular guy next to him. I could tell that there was a lot going through his mind. We depended on him, all of us.

It seemed as though the swimmers in the water touched at the same time. And then the final leg was off.

I think half of us in the crowd lost our voices, including my friends and I. We were screaming at the top of our lungs for our team. It looked like it would be a tie.

And then they touched the wall, and it seemed as though it was.

And then the scores appeared on the scoreboard.

We had lost by less than half a second.

Everyone’s faces fell. We had lost the meet by three points: 456-453.

I felt so bad for the guy who was our last leg. He was just wading in the pool, face underwater, shaking all over. I would have said words of comfort to him, but I had lost my voice cheering.

Winning the championship meet had slipped out of our fingers.

And all I could think about was that poor last leg in the water.

I am almost certain that this was how Casey felt, except I think he was overconfident.

Article posted January 18, 2012 at 07:52 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 36

I definitely think that professional athletes should not only be able to work hard and have skills in that particular sport, but they should also be a roll model for other people. If this player gave up during a game, his fans would think that it would be okay to give up, too. As an athlete, it's your responsibility to have a  good influence on your fans. People looking for athletes to join their team should not only look for athletic ability, but their attitude as well. Jackie Robinson was chosen for the Brooklyn Dodgers not just because of his athletic ability, but because he had a great attitude and was able to stand up against prejudice against him. 

Article posted January 11, 2012 at 07:49 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 35

I think that prejudice can be found almost anywhere. Even today, I have seen prejudice toward black people in all sorts of places. I’ve seen people judge other people by their height, disabilities, and race without even getting to know them! I’ve seen people talk behind others’ backs about things about they don’t like about them. For all they know, the person that they’re talking bad about could turn about to different than you thought. People who judge by skin color are wrong about their acts, because it’s what’s on the inside that counts. It doesn’t matter if you look different. We are all equal in God’s eyes. 

Article posted January 9, 2012 at 01:12 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

I have three goals for this year: one academic, one spiritual, and one social. My academic goal is to make a better grade in my Honors Pre Algebra class. I feel like I’m falling behind in it because I’m learning  a lot of new, hard concepts. To make my goal, I need to be more organized with my homework, and spend more time checking it when I finish, that way if I catch a wrong answer, I can correct it. I also want to study harder. I think that that will improve my test scores. I want to make this goal by the end of the semester, when our final grade is posted.

My spiritual goal is to go to church services more often. Normally I go every other week, but I want to start going every week instead of skipping because I don’t feel like going. Sometimes, I just go to Confirmation, but then skip the service, but I want to start doing both so that I can can get closer to God. By the end of the school year, my goal is to have gone every week that I can.

My social goal is to stop becoming easily jealous of other people. Sometimes I get jealous of certain things my friends have, like when I was the only person in my group of friends without a cell phone for a long time. I definitely need to stop being jealous of my friends by being more grateful for the things I have, and not spending all my time wanting the things that other people have. I want to meet this goal very soon.

How would you feel if you found out you were a wizard?

Harry Potter does not have the best life. Raised by his mean relatives after the death of his parents, he's been kicked around for years. But his life is changed when he finds out he is a wizard and gets accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Who wouldn't want to go to a school of magic? He has a great time learning magic and magical sports and making new friends, but soon learns that not everyone at Hogwarts is good. In fact, there may be someone who is trying to bring the darkest wizard of all time back...by finding a hidden object inside the castle and killing Harry? The darkest wizard, Lord Voldemort, was almost destroyed when he tried to kill Harry, leaving Harry with a lightning scar. If he were to return, there would be chaos unimaginable. Can Harry, along with his new friends Ron and Hermione, stop them from stealing the object? Will Harry survive?

Article posted January 2, 2012 at 07:40 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 54

Somewhere in a jungle, a girl is tasting chocolate that changes her life. She needs to escape.

Cass and Max-Ernest are back in this exciting third book in the Secret Series. Cass' mom falls for Senor Hugo, a mysterious blind chef that Cass does not like. They are invited to his exsquisite restaurant, where a life changing event happens. Cass' mother is kidnapped by Senor Hugo himself. It's up to Cass, Max-Ernest, and their new friend Yo-Yoji to find Cass' mother and save her from the Midnight Sun, the organization Senor Hugo supports. Can they save her in time?

Article posted December 26, 2011 at 04:54 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

The whole book of One Day for Love didn't get posted, so I will try it again later.

Cass' life is changed when a real estate agent drops off a mysterious box at Cass' grandfathers' house, along with the news that a magician had died. She then meets Max Ernest, a boy who talks way too much, and they decide to investigate the magician's house. They are caught by a seemingly young couple and run away, but not before discovering a mysterious journal. The young couple comes to their school to look for the two kids, but end up kidnapping a synesthete (getting your senses mixed up in your heAD) boy named Benjamin Blake. Cass sees the name on their truck as they drive away, THE MIDNIGHT SUN. Cass disquises herself as a celebrity to save the boy. Will the Midnight Sun discover her true identity? What secrets does the Midnight Sun hold? 

You'll have to read it to find out.

How would you feel if you had a chance to win two hundred million dollars? I know that I would be SUPER excited. But what if it came at a price?      One day in October, Sam Westing was found dead in his home. Later that year, sixteen heirs were called to hear his will. The will stated that he had not died of natural causes, but that he had been murdered -- by one of the heirs! And so the Westing Game begins. They are divided into eight pairs, and each pair receives a set of clues. The clues lead to the name of the murderer -- but none of the clues make sense! The way to win is to find the name of  the murderer, therefore winning the two hundred million dollars.

But soon the game turns nasty, with burglars, bookies, bombers, and plot twists around every corner. Who will win this deadly game?