5th grade class learning with technology.

teacher: Nancy Crosby

Article posted June 3, 2010 at 04:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

One thing I have really improved on during this fantastic year with Mrs.Crosby is ... (drumroll) ... TYPING! Before, I used to poke the keys very, very slowly. It used to drive my mom crazy. She would sit there watching me type as if I were a snail. It drove me crazy to. I would stare at my hands (like a baby) trying to figure out how to work my own hands. Doesn't that just sound so stupid? I got better because we do a lot of typing and research around here.Another thing I learned to improve on was how to catch up on work. You see, I go to a program called G.T. and I ,uh, I'll explain it to you incase you don't know what it is. G.T. is where you take one day off from your regular school to go to another school to learn. That's basically what it is.So I miss out on one day in my class and on what they do. So I have to catch up on what they did.   Three things I would like to improve on in 5th grade are.... First of all, I would like to work harder and understand social studies better. Second of all, I would like to check my math better. And last, I would like to write thoroughly and accurately whenever I write summaries.

Article posted May 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

One thing I did that was nice was.... Once, in my house a bird smashed into my sliding glass door. It fell to the ground, which made it look like it was dead. I called for my parents to come. They thought it was dead, but when my dad felt for the heart-beat(with sanitary gloves) he could feel a BUMP-BUMP-BUMP-BUMP! I was surprised that it didn't fly away. We decided to take care of it. We brought out a cardboard box with newspapers in it and my dad carefully placed the poor thing inside the box. When we got inside, we quarelled about what bird it was.

" I think it's a robin." my mom said.

" I think it's a pigeon." I said.

" Buwd! Buwd!" my little brother shouted. Anyway, it turned out to be a robin. We took care of the bird for three weeks. We found out that it had a broken leg so we wrapped it's leg in a bandage. In the fourth week we let it go. It fluttered happily out the glass door.

Article posted April 22, 2010 at 04:31 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 32

My favorite book that I read in school was The Thief Lord. I am only half way done, but I sure love it! So far, it's about two boys that run away from home because their mother had died. Their names are Prosper and Bo. Bo is five and Prosper is either ten or eleven. Their aunt ( who didn't have any kids) wanted to adopt Bo. They were going to send Prosper to boarding school.  That meant that the brothers could only see one another once a month so Prosper convinced his little brother to runaway with him to Venice, Italy. Prosper had chosen that specific place because their mother had told them magical stories about Venice. Meanwhile, their aunt Esther had found out that they had runaway to Venice, Italy. She had gone with her husband to a private detective to search for the kids. While they were doing this, Prosper and Bo had met a group who were also runaways. Their leader was was called The Thief Lord.  He bragged that he could steal anything without getting caught. They  stole things for a living. After they had stolen the goods, they would trade the stuff with a man named Barbarossa. One day, he had a message for them. "Tell this Thief Lord of yours that one of my clients would like to see him." So one day the two met and it had been decided that The Thief Lord would steal a wooden wing for him. That's all I read so far. I really like this book because it is jam packed with details,  it is clear, and it has a lot of vioce. I really recommend this book to you  

Article posted March 16, 2010 at 04:37 AM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 32

If you could do or go anywhere, where would you go? I would pick Hawaii. I would go there because... First of all,  I love pineapple and Hawaii is famous for good pineapple! I heard that Maui has a HUGE pineapple maze! I think it might even be the biggest in the whole world! Second,  everbody who went to Hawaii (that I know) has said it was amazing and want to visit there again! Third, because Hawaii is near the  equator so it is always hot no matter what seasons, most people like to go there during the winter. My hometown Reno is very cold in the winter so I would like to go to Hawaii during the winter too. It would be great if I could skip winter in Reno, and have sunshine and water fun in my winter time!! Ahhh! I can already feel the warm sun and see the colorful sea fish! I bet I would go swimming every day and get tan after I am back.   Fourth, I would go to Hawaii because of their magnificent food. I would definately drink a lot of the coconut milkshake.  Do you know that Hawaii is one of the best places for freshest sushie in the world? I know their secret -- They just need to go to the sea and catch some fish and use them to make sush dailyi! The last but not the least, I would go there because I would like to see the special Hawaiian dance where the girls wear hula skirts and flower leis and put flowers in their hair. I think they do this on the beach with camp fire in the middle.

Now it's your turn to answer the question! If you could do or go anywhere, where would you go?

Article posted February 22, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

Have you ever wondered what the Olympics's motto is? Well, it's. . ."Swifter, Higher, Stronger." What does that mean you ask? Well, I'm not sure but I think that means if you watch the Olympics, you'll see all three things. I think that is just supposed to encourage you to watch the Olympics. I also think that means if you're an Olympian, do all these 100% perfect and you're bound to win goldThe creed for the Olympics is . . . "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struuggle. The essential theng is not to have conquered but to have fought well." Again like the motto, I'm not very sure of what this means, but instead of winning being the most important thing, it's the unique way of how you handle the course. It really amazes the adience when you use your own way to have fun with the course. Again, that's only what I think.

Article posted January 26, 2010 at 04:48 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 40

I'm not sure what I'm going to be when I grow up, but here are two jobs I hope I'll do when I'm an adult. One thing I want to be is a dentist for kids. Do you know why? Well, if you said because I like working with little kids, you're right. To make that specific, I like little kids who listen to me, . Another reason why I want to be a kid's dentist is that when I fix the kids' teeth problems they would stop crying and give me happy smiles. The feeling of seeing the happy faces of kids would make me really feel great. Also, if I was a dentist, I would get to use the funny thing that sucks up all the saliva when I am clearing the teeth for kids -- it looks really cool when I was being done by my dentist, so I would like to try it out myself. Another job I may want to do is being a children's doctor. It is about the same reasons why I want to be a kid's dentist, and plus more -- if I was a pediatrician, I would get to use the stethoscope, which I have never tried, but want to try it very much.

Article posted January 15, 2010 at 02:11 AM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 34

You wanna know the funny thing about my friendship with my best friend Noelle? It all started on one beautiful summer night. Well, it wasn't really night. It was evening. My family was done with dinner, so we wanted to take a little walk on our street. Noelle's family must of thought it was a beautiful night,er,evening, because they went on a walk too. When they were coming down the street, we were going up the street. That's when we met for the first time. When the two family's caught sight of each other, we all froze like statues. We were all wondering if the other family was Asian. There was only one way to find out -- go talk to each other! "Hi!" the older girl exclaimed when I reached them."Hi!"I managed to say.  "Uh,hello." the other girl said. She was about the same age as me. While the kids were meeting, the parents had made a much farther progress in meeting each other. They were asking questions such as "Do you live on this street?",and "Are you Asian?" and so on. When everyone finally met, the girl's mother (Noelle and Sophie's) invited me to a playdate, which we are now the best of friends! Just because of that one special walk!