5th grade class learning with technology.

by teacher: Nancy Crosby

Article posted August 6, 2010 at 04:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 66

Hi everbody! So I just got back from L.A and camping and just wanted to say hi. I have to make it brief though because I need to make a quick trip to my friends house. How's everybody's summer been? So far mines going great! Only three more weeks of summer vacation! Everybody ready? I'm going to my first sports game and im going with my taekwondo so I'm really excited! I'm testing for my red-black belt soon so wish me good luck... I have to go know! More blogs to come. (Tell me how your summer has been in the comments!) BYE!

Article posted June 3, 2010 at 01:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 46

You know, I’ve always wondered at the beginning of the school year what I would learn and what it would be like in 4th grade. Now I know and I’ve improved on a few things too in 4th grade. I would be delighted to tell you about the things I improved on and the things I’d like to continue working on in 5th grade! First of all, I will tell you things I improved on. First I improved on my confidence A LOT! I used to be scared to try new things and I just had not a lot of confidence. But I have improved on it thanks to my teacher and friends. My teacher who has been so encouraging and letting me try so many new things, has helped out. My friends who were cheering me on from the beginning have helped out too. I’d like to thank everyone in my class, even the boys who have taught me to stand up for myself and make me have more confidence without probably even noticing it! Mrs. Crosby used to say at the beginning of each semester to write down your goal and I’d always write down: Have more confidence! Now I won’t need to write that down! The biggest help of all was from Mrs. Crosby who encouraged me to try new things and have more confidence. I owe her a big thank you of course.

Another thing I have improved on is making friends. I was always so shy and had a hard time making friends but in 4th grade I made a lot of friends and good friends too! But since my friends were so easy to talk to it made it a whole lot easier to make friends. All my friends are friends I can truly trust. I have never had so many friends in a grade! I’m glad I have improved on making friends though because we will be starting 5th grade soon Finally, I’ve improved on getting over stress. Stress is a hard thing to go through. Especially when I was doing a social studies project things weren’t going so well. I had so much stress over that, that the stress seemed to have taken over my life. Okay maybe I’m being a little dramatic… Anyway, the stress I had for the social studies project all melted away when I was finished and I noticed that my mind had a lot of other good things to think about. Everybody will always overcome stress and I didn’t know that but know I do and when I get stress I just think about that social studies project. Mrs. Crosby has helped me with improving all these things and 4th grade will be the grade I will hold onto! Mrs. Crosby will always be the teacher who made the difference in my life!

Now I will tell you what I want to continue to work on in 5th grade. I want to read the directions on everything a lot more carefully. Sometimes I get the answers wrong because I rush through the directions. I’m so eager to start working so I just whiz through the directions and I always miss part of it! I want to read directions slowly and take my time. Another thing I want to continue to work on is math! Honestly I’m not that good at math but I’m okay. I still want to work on it though. There’s always just one correct answer in math and that just won’t get through my head! I just want to work on it a bit. Well I should get going. See you!

Article posted May 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

I wonder just how many people have helped somebody… Well I know I have, and you should have too because who hasn’t helped somebody? I you haven’t stop being lazy and help someone out! Get a hold of yourself! Anyway back to what we were talking about. I’ve helped many people and animals but I will be glad to share one with you! Now I will start my story. BEGIN! I was walking at school on the playground just thinking when a person in my class runs up to me and tells me that there is going to be a new girl. I remembered our teacher announcing that and I got really excited! My friends went off playing but I just waited by my line. I waited a long time and it seemed as if hours passed. Right when I was getting frustrated, a girl with beautiful light brown hair and a pair of eyes that were a gorgeous shade of green, walked up with her mom.

Her mom was also very pretty and had a soothing voice. They asked me a few question and then her mom left. I found out the girl was shy and she looked worried. I told her she shouldn’t be and I knew she would be okay. I asked her what her name was and it was Reilly. What a pretty name I thought. I wanted her to be comfortable around me so I went to her and talked to her a lot. I didn’t recognize myself because I was talking so much! Soon she shook off her worries and I was glad that my new friend was not uncomfortable anymore. We became best friends and my name does not sound right without Reilly’s name! I continue to defend her and I hope we are best friends forever! I hope I did a favor for her for becoming her friend. I always ask myself did I make Reilly more comfortable or have I done anything good for her? I don’t know but I hope the answer is yes and that’s why I’m writing this blog. I think I have helped Reilly even though it’s not something big. She has helped me too because I did not have a best friend just friends and some friends that I couldn’t trust. It is like we were made to be best friends! I knew I had found the perfect friend for me and I hope I helped you Reilly!

Article posted April 20, 2010 at 03:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

My nose is stuck in a book called Where the Red Fern Grows. I just want to read and read. All I want to do today is read Where the Red Fern Grows. I have read this book in rotations and it was my favorite so far in my school days. This book was about strong friendship. Let me explain to you quickly what the book is about. There was a boy named Billy and he wanted a dog like no boy would want one. He got sick because he wanted a dog but he knew his family was poor. One day he saw an ad that said dogs were on sale so he worked hard for a few years selling vegetables and doing other things. Finally the day came when he earned enough money to buy two dogs. He bought two dogs with the help of his grandfather. He trained them all day and went hunting with his dogs. The dogs would never leave Billy and the dogs would never leave each other. The dogs became great hunters and they caught a lot of raccoons. He went on training his dogs and he bragged about his dogs that they were mighty good hunters. One day they entered a hunting contest. Little Ann, one of the dogs, won first place for the best looking dog and got a silver trophy. Then the hunting contest begun and everybody went hunting in all directions. They tried their hardest to win and there was a terrible blizzard while they were hunting but luckily they did not freeze. When they got back they found out that they had the won the contest. They got a golden trophy and all the money they could ever wish for. When Billy got back his family was all happy. Billy went hunting again when they were face to face with a wild cat! They fought and the dogs did their best to protect Billy. They went back home but Old Dan ( one of the other dogs) had been seriously injured. Little Ann had a bad cut but she wasn’t as injured as Old Dan. After a few days sadly Old Dan passed away. Wait before I go on if there is anybody reading this that can’t take sad things STOP reading this! So anyway after Old Dan passed away Little Ann was so sad she refused to eat and would hope to see Old Dan’s face once again. She got weaker and weaker until she gathered up all her strength and dragged her little body all the way to Old Dan’s grave and died. AHHHHH! The tears are coming! Anyway, Billy was heartbroken and their family decided to move. When he went back to the grave to say good-bye he noticed something there was a red fern growing right in the middle of their graves. Then Bill remembered the story of a girl and a boy who had gotten lost in a blizzard and died and an angel came and planted a red fern between them. Billy was a bit happier after seeing the red fern. This was a story of strong friendship and it was a very good book so I recommend you read it someday. I loved this story because first it was the kind of story that made me want to express my feelings and I feel like I’m actually with Billy and his dogs. It was such a sad story and all of them practically risked their lives for each other. Billy had such faith in his dogs and his dogs had faith in him. If it wasn’t for his dogs his family would have suffered. They had such a strong bond with each other that probably no one else would know. They depended on each other. If one was hurt they were all hurt. They all face dangers along the way but they help each other out and they overcome it. They step on their troubles to figure everything out instead of just stepping over it. I loved this story with all my heart and I loved the friendship that they shared. Please you should read this book! But remember if you are keep a box of tissues nearby! (Seriously you’ll thank me for the advice!) Got to go! Bye!

Article posted March 17, 2010 at 04:15 AM GMT • comment (7) • Reads 37

안녕, Bonjour, Ciao! Those three words all mean hello in a foreign language and those are the words that come from the places I want to go. The first language was Korean, the second was France, and the third was Italian. These places just fascinate me! I’ve been to South Korea but I have never been to France or Italy. I have enjoyed my experience at Korea so much that I’d like to go again! As for France and Italy I have a lot of reasons why I want to go. I would love to tell you why I would like to go to those places! First I will tell you why I want to go to Italy and France.

Who knows what new foods await me there? Anyway in Italy I bet the pasta is delicious! I love Italian food. I like Olive Garden, the Italian restaurant, but I have to really taste the food in Italy! I’ve never tried French food but I heard from people that their cheese, wine, bread, and desserts are scrumptious! Of course I wouldn’t be drinking wine but the rest sound good to me. Also, France and Italy have a great sense of style. I sometimes like being really stylish. The style there is the bomb! I really want to see the Eiffel Tower in Paris. I think I will have a fun time exploring France and Italy. There could be TONS of new and exciting stuff when I get there (if I ever go)!

Now I will tell you some reasons why I want to go to South Korea. First of all, South Korea is so fun and no offense but I think Reno is just a little bit boring. I like the peacefulness but come on! Where are the amusement parks? Where are the… I don’t know! But I think Reno should make something fun for all kids to enjoy. But I really love Reno. There are very fun amusement parks in Korea like Lotte World. There are so many fun and fast rides! There is one roller coaster that is really fast and a few years ago someone fell off of it but they made the roller coaster more firm. I rode it and it went at full speed. It was very fast but it was really fun. Although I did feel like I was going to fall off. They took a picture and my friend was leaning on me and I was just really pale because it was going so fast. I really like fast and scary roller coasters. Anyway along with the amusement parks there are other places like the Wii Café and you can pick any game you want. There is a place and we call it a jimjilbang. A jimjilbang is kind of like a sauna. There are rooms either filled with ice or there are rooms where it is very hot and you feel like you are on a frying pan. My sister and I usually go back and forth from the ice room to the very hot place. There are a lot more fun places that you can go, so I will not list all of them. Also in Korea you can just walk to anyplace you’d like because every place is very close. There is also delicious food! There are a lot of cake stores and there are millions of beautiful cakes! There meat, there cakes, there pizza, there ice-cream, there milk, etc. is all just so good! There is a place called Mr. Pizza and its Korean pizza but it’s the best. In Reno when I drink milk my stomach hurts but when I drink Korean milk I am fine! The Korean milk is very creamy and fresh.

Another reason is that they have very interesting souvenirs and accessories. They are all very pretty and special. When I get souvenirs or accessories from Korea a lot of people think they are cute and weird in a good way. Korea makes a lot of pretty clothes. I think the clothes are all very stylish. Finally, the last reason is that I love to spend time with my family who live there. They are all kind and generous. I only get to see them every two years so I miss them a lot. I really love them. Sometimes I miss them so much that when I’m looking at pictures I sometimes start crying. I especially miss my grandma and I don’t even know how much longer she will live. But God gives me faith and the thought of knowing that I will always see her comforts me. Anyway I love Korea with all my heart and I have pride for my country even though it is the size of Pennsylvania! How I wish I could really go to all these places! Well, for now I guess I should say to myself: Dream big Iris, dream big!

Article posted February 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

Swifter, higher, stronger! I just love how that sounds. Even though it is only three words it is a good motto. Oh I haven’t told you yet that, that is the Olympic motto! Silly me! Anyway does anybody know what the motto means? I don’t know for sure and I’m just going to guess. I think it describes the great athletes that are in the Olympics. The Olympic athletes are after all very good at sports. Swifter means fast and the Olympic athletes are pretty fast. Also they are strong and when they do jumps and tricks they can go high in the air. Olympic Athletes always try hard and if they set their mind to it they can win. Also I think it means that if you try hard and if you go swifter, higher and stronger you can win! It’s about the competition, the determination! (Apparently the creed is different and I also agree with the creed.) The Olympic athletes try hard to win for their Country. I know the meaning was short but I think that’s all I have to say for the motto.

Does everybody know what the creed of the Olympic is? If you do then what does it mean? Let me try guessing! I think it means that it doesn’t matter if you win it just matters if you try. They should try their best and actually participate in the Olympics. They have to work hard! Also they have to join and compete. The Olympics is like our life. The important thing in life is not the pride but to struggle and fight to win. You should try your hardest and try to achieve your goal. Just do your best and don’t be upset if you don’t win. It is just life war because even though you might not have won, you still could have killed a lot of people. You still could have made a difference. I really agree with the creed and the person who created it did a very great job!

What is your favorite sport in the Olympics? I really enjoy watching figure skating. They always dance so beautifully and elegantly! Do you notice that? I think the figure skating is like a piece of art. I’m half Korean and half American (I AM NOT NORTH KOREAN!) so I am a fan of Kim Yu-na! GO KIM YU-NA! Right now she is first place in figure skating. I know, I know, I was really born in America but still. Although I have to admit that America is good at sports. I really wonder how all those figure skaters balance and pretty much land perfectly.

I wish I could be as good but for now I still have to hold on to a bar! I’ve never really tried ice-skating. I only tried it once and I kind of got the hang of it (not really). Anyway, I like how they glide through the ice as their skates make lines in the snow. Figure skaters always amaze me and it looks like they try so hard to do so well! I like their expressions and how they change their expressions. I bet it takes a lot of practice. After all practice makes perfect! They always wear beautiful dresses but it looks so cold it makes me cold! At least they get warmed up. They always try to do their best even though they can be a nervous wreck. I mean I’ve experienced something like that, but the Olympics! I could never do that! I’m the most nervous one in my family aside from my sister. But the more I stand up in front of people I get less nervous. Well that is my favorite sport in the Olympics. I wish every single athlete good luck and I hope they won't get injured!

Article posted January 27, 2010 at 04:57 AM GMT • comment (8) • Reads 45

Clack, clack, clack. I can hear myself typing away on the computer. I'm focusing hard, trying to get ideas. I keep saying hmmm…and oh yes! I try to rack my brain. What job do you think that is? Do you know? Well, those of you who don’t know or don’t even bother to guess( I know there are a lot of you out there!). I’ll tell you what job that is. It’s the job of an author. I would like to be a best- selling author in the future. I absolutely love writing! I’ve been writing books at a young age. Just picture books but now I am writing chapter books. My sister has inspired me to write and was always there for me. I would like to inspire children all over the world and expand their imagination with my writing. It sure would be fun to go to schools and talk to fans. Also, it would be fun writing books based on something that happened to you and share it with the world. If you get a good idea you can just spill all the ideas out onto a piece of paper and then make it into a finished copy. You could meet all kinds of famous authors and some would even come to meet you! I want kids and adults to express their feelings while reading my books. I would really like it if the people reading my books would laugh and enjoy the book. I would like to give them hope and tell them to always follow their dreams. I could write about my childhood and school. I don’t know if those would be good memories or not. I mean it’s school! Anyway I want to encourage kids to write and have fun doing it especially in school.There are some writing test and it may give people some stress. I’ve had stress a lot and I hate it myself. Who doesn’t hate stress? I would love to be an author and some people they change. They don’t always do what they want to do as a child but I already have my heart set on being an author. I would love to be an author and I’d write life changing stories. When you grow up and see my name on some bestselling stories don’t be surprised!

Article posted January 13, 2010 at 03:13 AM GMT • comment (15) • Reads 44

OMG!!!!! This is really embarrassing so the people who are reading this please don’t make fun of me! Three years ago I was in South Korea at an amusement park. I was having fun and was happily munching on some caramel popcorn. I got tattoos and rode fun rides. Even though I was pretty young I loved roller coaster rides. Unlike my mom who likes the ladybug ride. I could ride on a lot of things. It was the best there!!!! Until...BAM BAM BAM.

We were about to ride a safari ride where you could see real animals that were trained. There were an awful lot of people. I was, and still am,a very impatient person. I hated long lines. This is where the embarrassing part comes. I thought the line was moving and I was looking at the floor and I must have gone too far. I thought the person next to me was my mom but it actually was a teenager with his girlfriend!!! I held his hand because as I said I thought it was my mom. When I looked up I was so surprised I ran to my mom and hid my face in her coat. I cried for days about this but then my mom told me we’d never meet him again because we don’t know him. That made me feel a whole lot better. Even though that was a few years ago, I can still remember my face when I saw I was holding his hand. It was full of shock. Next time I’m not going to look at the floor while walking. I will always remember this day no matter how old I get. This was an important lesson!!! I have to go now so bye!!!! P.S What was a funny or embarrassing thing that happened to you???