5th grade class learning with technology.

teacher: Nancy Crosby

Improvments 06/01/10
Packing clothes 05/10/10
My Favorite Book 04/19/10
My Vacation Trip 03/19/10
The Olympics 02/25/10
01/25/10
Funny Story 01/11/10

Article posted June 2, 2010 at 02:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

Today I am going to tell you a couple things I have improved on this school year. One thing I have really improved on is math. I was very bad at math in the beginning of the year but now I am much better. I still admit I am still not very good at math and I would like to really improve on that in the 5th grade. Another thing I think I’ve improved on is spelling. This whole year I have been working on new spelling words. And now I am very good at spelling. But I think the most important thing that I learned is that life isn’t really, let’s see how do I put this in life you don’t always get everything you want, you have to earn it. Like you won’t graduate from collage if you don’t give your work effort. You know, the only way to get out of school is to work hard. But my last little thing I learned this school year is if you do something wrong you have to suffer the consequences. Let’s say my dad is the president, which is un-true (or is it? Just kidding!)but let’s just say that is the case. Suppose I did something really really bad, but I got away with it because my dad was the president, how fair is that. You have to suffer the consequences. But I never would have learned everything in this paragraph if I didn’t get my teacher, Mrs. Crosby, (who is by the way, the best 4th grade teacher EVER!) THANK YOU!

I am now going to tell you a couple things I want to improve on in the 5th grade. Well, if you didn’t read my first paragraph , then I want to improve on math. I was never really good at that but it is one of the subjects I hope someday I will be good at. I would like to start that goal in 5th grade. Another thing I would like to keep working on is reading. I think I am fine at reading it’s just reading is one of my hobbies and I don’t want it to end. I would like to keep going on that. That is pretty much it, thank you for reading this blog. I hope you enjoyed it.

Grace

Article posted May 11, 2010 at 01:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I have done a lot of nice things for people, but I only have time to tell you one. So... I will start right now...

If you didn’t know already I am in 4 - H. 4 - H is this little club type thing. Anyway, one time we (my club) went to this one store like thing and we packed clothes for people who have cancer. We had to pick out outfits for them. It was super fun, and it helped people too, so I guess you could say I was doing two things at once. It was very funny because you can really notice who really wants their person to like what they were getting. Like for example my brother was just throwing clothes into the bag. Where as the girls were laying out the clothes and trying to make each piece of clothing really match another piece of clothing. I probably wouldn’t tell anyone else this but some of the clothes I packed I would like to have as my own. Now the reason why I did this was not just because my whole club was doing this and it would just look strange it one person wasn’t coming. But the reason was because it is just the right thing to do. I mean you always want to be nice to people and wouldn’t you want to have an opportunity like that to be noticed, to show that you would like to change this crazy place we call the world. Turned out the children we sent these clothes to really loved them. I mean when you do that for someone it feels really good. And this is a memoire that I will never forget, ever. I’m just really glad that they liked it. I put all of me in this activity. Now you may think that this is a really strange blog, but to me, if I read this it would change the way I looked at things. And that is the end of the time I packed clothes for the people who have cancer.

Grace

Article posted April 20, 2010 at 02:35 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 40

One of the books I liked was Bunnicula. Bunnicula is a story about a family that found a rabbit at a movie. That family had a dog named, you know, I don’t remember what it was named, anyway, they also had a cat, the cat was named Chester. When the family brought the rabbit home they named it Bunnicula. Ever since Bunnicula came to the family’s house Chester had a weird feeling about him. One day the family saw a vegetable that was white! Throughout the story the family continues to find white vegetables. Chester comes to the conclusion that Bunnicula is a vampire! He sets traps all around the house, but just can’t catch Bunnicula. He tried putting garlic all around the house and many more traps (he learned that vampires don’t like garlic from a vampire book, that’s where he got the garlic idea). But in the end you never know if bunnicula is a vampire or not.

I like this story because it is a mystery, like you never know is Bunnicula is a vampire or not. I would have to say the end and the part where the dog thinks Chester has lost his mind were my favorite parts. If you haven’t found out yet, I think you should know I love mysteries! I loved that book. I also think you should know I remember the things I like, the things I don’t like well remembering them isn’t so easy. You know what I think, I think the author should write another story but still not tell you if Bunnicula is real or not. I know he has already written some other stories about Bunnicula but I haven’t read them yet. Anyway, I loved the book Bunnicula not just because it was mystery but because of the characters in the book. The author did a wonderful job describing them. I mean, the cat was just crazy and the dog was just lazy, Hey! I’m on a roll of rhyming, Yeah! He is one of my favorite authors now, thanks to my teacher. Well that is why I like Bunnicula.

Grace

Article posted March 19, 2010 at 04:16 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 37

My Vacation Trip

For vacation I like to go to six Flags Discovery Kingdoms. Even though I have already been there, it is still real fun. I like to go there because they have awesome rides. Not just any rides but roller coaster rides. I believe it was two years ago when I couldn’t ride a roller coaster called Medusa. But the next year we went I was tall enough to ride it. Medusa is a ride where you go up, up, up a “hill” and then go down really fast into two loop‘d loops and then all these weird turns and then finally you go into a pretzel. They call it Medusa because when the rides over most people are frozen in their seat for a couple minutes because the ride was so scary. Sadly the first time I rode Medusa I was frozen in my seat. But after a while you get used to it. In the middle of the ride a camera takes a photo of you. It’s very funny to see the faces of the people when the camera takes the picture ( you get to see the pictures after your done ridding the ride.) Oh! By the way the ride Medusa is purple and yellow.

There is also a ride called Boomerang at Six Flags. It is called Boomerang because once you are done with half the ride the track ends. You go to the very end of the track and then do the whole ride backwards ( just like a boomerang)! Boomerang is a ride that I rode when I

couldn’t ride Medusa. But of coarse now when we go back to Six Flags it is an awesome ride. It always was but you know whatever. So, Boomerang is a ride where you are in the “station” and

once everybody’s on you zoom right out of the station and into some twists and turns The finally a loop d’ loop. Then of course you get to a dead end and do the whole thing over again. By the way Boomerang is a ride that is blue and yellow and does not have a camera in the middle.

Now this is a ride that I wasn’t tall enough till last year. This ride is called Vertical Velocity. I wouldn’t say it’s a roller coaster but it’s by far one of my favorites. What happens is well you go up a sort of diagonal part and then into a cork screw. Then backwards down so you go up a straight part. That’s pretty much it but you do that about six times. Oh! Did I mention that this ride goes about 75 mph? Well it does, and Vertical Velocity is red. Not red and a different color but just red.

That is the place I like to go to. Did I mention that we dive there every year? Yeah, we do and it takes forever. I think we drive in the car for four hours. But I’m not sure. So there you go where I like to go and why.

By Grace

Article posted February 26, 2010 at 02:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I think the motto means that the more you practice the faster and faster you go. Practice also helps you get higher (just like it says in the motto, Swifter, Higher....) Whether you are in ice skating or something. But it’s true though. The more you train the higher you can go. That’s not the only thing I think the word “higher” means in the motto. I also think it means like when your in the Olympics that expectations from the judges are way higher. The kind of higher that I mean is like the expectations aren’t going to be like if your were in your first competition (not in the Olympics). But your hopes are high also. I mean your in the Olympics why wouldn’t your hopes to be pretty high. Now for the last part of the motto. The “stronger” line of the motto. I think the kind of stronger the motto is talking about is not like muscle stronger but like, let me see how I’m going to say this. O.K. I know, if you loose and end up not winning a single medal then sure it’s sad but in a way it made you stronger. If you loose you will know why you lost. Wether it’s you didn’t do clean enough jumps or spins, or you forgot to do a jump or spin. At least you know what you did wrong, so then you get work on doing whatever you did wrong. You could get stronger at that move or something. But looking away from that it means to win. So, there you have it, that is what the motto means.

I think the creed means that the Olympics is not all about winning. It’s just about how hard you tried. You may or may not have won, but at least you tried and fought for the gold medal. At least you made it to the Olympics. At least you have some sort of memory of what the Olympics were like. Just being in the Olympics is like a gold medal for me. I think the creed is just saying that you tried, that’s all that matters. You can only do your best. The important thing is to try. When it says “ Just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle.” I think that’s a big part of what the creed means. It’s basically saying you struggle in life just like in the Olympics you struggle. If you win the Olympics your not going to stay as happy as you were when you found out that you won. When I read the creed I think it says something loud and clear, (in my mind) (you have to read it a couple times before you realize this) it says that just to getting to the Olympics, no matter what happens, you’re a winner. Even if you don’t win you could inspire someone who is watching you way across on the other side of the world. The creed has a lot of meaning if you look a little deeper in it. You must make your brain think a little. Come on! Don’t be lazy. Trust me if you think just a little bit, you will like the creed a lot better than you think it would be. Last thing before I move on to a new subject. If I were in the Olympics I would read the creed over and over again. I think the creed is an inspiring note. Just like I said all the Olympics want you to do is try. The creed is saying that the Olympics is proud of you no matter what. That is what I think the creed means.

Most of the time I think the Olympics can annoying like really fast. Sometimes though, it can be fun. By fun I mean watching ice skating. Now, don’t take me wrong watching ice skating can be quite fun (for me). I like watching ice skating because (of corse) that is what I want to be when I grow up. But I also like to watch it because I like their outfits. No offence but sometimes I criticize the skaters outfits. I’m sorry! Some of the outfits are like wow, and they are okay to wear that kind of stuff during their performance. The last reason I like to watch the ice skating is because I like to know what they must have in their performance. Oh! I almost forgot an important reason I watch ice skating. That reason is that the ice skaters secretly put in some stuff that I learn in ice skating lessons. Which is awesome because I can do most of the stuff that I learn in lessons! Sadly, the night that the lady’s short program was on I only got to see one because the dumb Olympics would show 1 person then switch to like ski cross. Then after like 15 minutes the Olympics would show this little thing at the bottom of the TV screen saying something like “ Figure skating in 40 minutes” Which was perfect because I was going to sleep in 30 minutes. So, their you have it. The Olympics can be boring or exciting.

By,

Grace

Article posted January 26, 2010 at 01:58 AM GMT • comment (11) • Reads 38

A job or occupation I want to have when I grow up? Hmmm, this is a tough one. Oh! O.k. O.k. O.k. I've got it! So the job I want to have when I grow up is well I want to be a professinal ice skater. I loooooove ice skating! Guess What! I can now do a walz jump on ice! I know I know don't get to excited it gets better. You know how I said it gets better? Well here's the better part. So I can do a Waltz jump but then I had to work on my backwards entry. Whitch means I skate backwards then tern my foot around and do the Waltz jump. So anyone who knows me knows that I will never stop working on something until I get it (that is for ice skating anyway). O.k. lets move on now, so, I got that part down! But the one thing that still haunts me today is well you make your foot tern halfway around and then go into a Waltz jump. Oh! By the way for those of you who don't know anything about ice skating a walz jump is where you jump from your left foot (doing a half tern) onto your right foot. Ending with your left foot in the air. You know like, for you gymnastics people you would end with you doing a scale. But most of all I want to be an ice skater because well I love how graceful they are. And some of the outfits they were are really pretty. What they are? But back to the reason I want to be an ice skater. I don't know I guess it's because I think I will go far and I also well I don't hate this sport yet. I know, Iknow, it's kind of obvious that I don't hate this sport yet, I mean why would I want to be an ice skater if I hated the sport. So there's what I want to be when I grow up, happy? Wait! Wait! don't go yet I have one more thing I want to tell you. Well here I go. My goal is to learn how to do a triple toe loop fallowed by a triple axel. You know like the professinal ice skaters do. So bottom line is I want to be a professinal ice skater. Now I told you what I want to be when I grow up, happy? I hope so!

By,

The girl with a dream Grace

Article posted January 12, 2010 at 01:38 AM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 37

One time my family and I went to a restaurant named Hacienda. I was trying to decide what to order. My Mom said I should have a quesadilla. She told me it that it was like the cheese quesadilla’s I have at home. So when the waiter came I told him that I wanted a quesadilla. After a while he came back to serve us our food. My Mom got what she ordered, my Dad got what he ordered. When the waiter gave me my food I thought he was joking because what he gave me was well it looked like mush, green mush. So when the waiter looked away I quickly look at my Mom and stuck my tongue out. Once the waiter left we all started laughing. After a while I started to cry. I didn’t think my food looked appetizing at all. So I ate some of the food that Jack got. In the end my family and I ordered ice cream. The ice cream was gone faster than the blink of an eye. At least in the end I was happy.