Copyright (c) 2014 by Jane Lowe Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jane Lowe -- Blogmeister

Mrs Lowe's Area 7 Bloggers-

Area 7

World Time - Drag your mouse to see the time in other places. In Area 7 we like to give everything a go especially new ideas that might look difficult at first.We are using this blog to publish some of our writing, to post from home and to record some of our learning at school. We love receiving comments. Please, if you wish to comment, leave a URL or e-mail address so we can respond back to you.

by Jane Lowe

Mrs Durff's 345
4th Grade Gnomes
Mr Smith's 4th grade Bloggers
Mrs Hassan Conneticut
Voices of the World
Mrs Kreul's 4th Grade
Miss Baer's 4th Grade Bloggers
Mrs Rice BC Canada
Route 209 - Grade 3/4
3gk in Sydney
3rd Grade NewYork buddies
Digital Digikidz NZ
Kings and Queens NZ
Mrs C's 5/6 Blog Vic
The Livewires NZ
Room12 Mellons Bay NZ
Room 8 Ranzau
Mrs Marit's Yr 4 Canada
** Madrid Dream Team
** 4S Superstars Vienna
**Grade 4C Qatar
**Falcon Girls Yr4 London
**Mr Hide's Yr3/4 Canada
**High Achievers' Blog
Mr Greenberg's Brainwaves
Build Your Wild Self Avatars
Yr 4 & 5 Cape Town Sth Africa
Our Class Website
Mr Edwards Rm202 Illinois
Power Typing
Mrs Lowe in Europe
Area 11 Wikispace
Solar System Games

We have had an interesting start to the new school year. Firstly I need to remember that I am no longer in Area 11 even though I am still in the same room. Our room numbers have changed and I am now in Area 7.

Here is Area 7 on the first day of school.

Image Hosted by PicturePush - Photo Sharing

The start of the year has been disrupted a little as the new roof and ceiling work didn't get completed before we started the year. Today mine is finally done.

Article posted August 28, 2011 at 03:41 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 212

Our first orienteering session on Tuesday 16th of August was a partner session and because the year four's hadn't done it before, the year four's had to go with a year five. When we went into the Under-cover area to meet Mrs Post the lady who was teaching us how to do orienteering.

Before we started we watched the the video that tells you about orienteering. When we started Mrs Post told us how to put our map facing North, the one that Mrs Post told us to do is having the front of the map facing the sun. After Mrs Post told us to get a partner and find out where the triangle is and go there and once we went there Mrs Post went there. After Mrs Post came she told us to find the centre of the triangle and the pair that found the centre of the triangle one a prize.

Mrs Post told us to line up and the top of the line starts from number one, and the bottom starts from the last one. My partner and I started on the last one and got up to speedo. Speedo is a game you do with your partner when you finish the normal orienteering what you do is with your partner you take turns one person goes to find one marker then comes back to tag the other person and the other person goes to find a marker.

I really liked doing orienteering and can't wait to do it again every week and year.

by Ellen

On 16th August our class did orienteering.The year fives did orienteering last year but the year fours haven't done orienteering before so the year fours paired up with a year five. The supervisor was called Mrs Post. Firstly she showed us a marker that was a replica of what we were looking for. Mrs Post also showed us 4 kinds of different maps that are used for orienteering. After we all got into partners she showed us a video about orienteering. My partner was Sanjay. After 5 minutes we had to go to the spot that was in the middle of the triangle(the starting point). Tolga and Jemma were the closest and won a family pass for orienteering each. If you finished earlier you could do another challenge called Speedo. Sanjay and I didn't finish the Speedo. I had a great time do orienteering.

by Bart

Article posted August 7, 2011 at 02:01 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 180

On 30th June about 60 students from either the junior choir which includes students in year3, year4 or year 5 and the Senior choir which includes year 7's and 6's went to U.W.A (University of Western Australia) the perform at the Children's Sing Festival.We had to audition to go to U.W.A because only 60 people could go and there were more than 60 students in the two choirs.

We got on the bus at about one o'clock and arrived at about 1:20.Once I got in to the Octagon theatre I saw 4 schools. 3 were sitting on the chairs and 1 was on the stage. All the schools sang two songs. Once the school before us started coming of the stands we stood up and walked on to the stage. A year 7 student from our school announced the songs that we were going to sing. The first song that we were going to sing was "Let Go The Long White Sails" which was a smooth song. The second song that we sang was "Layla That's You My Love" which is a lively song that involved clapping. After we finished singing the second song we got of the stage and went back to our seats because there was still one more school that had to perform. Once the Festival had ended we went back on to the bus. When we got back our school we all went to Mrs.Lowe's class to hear the results we got outstanding (which is the best one) for "Let Go The Long White Sails" and we got an excellent (the second best one) for "Layla That's You My Love". Overall we got an Excellent.

It was lots of fun and I would like to do it again next year.I think everyone sang very well!

Report by Qian

Article posted August 7, 2011 at 01:36 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 192

On Monday 20th June, near the end of the end of the day, a band called Adam Hall and the VP’s (Velvet Players) came to our school. They had an electric piano played by Len , a saxophone played by Marc, a trombone played by Joe, a trumpet played by Adam and a set of drums played by Michael. The lead singer Adam Hall sang five songs.

Before they started to play their songs the drum player named Michael talked to us about the names of instruments on his drum kit. Some of the names of the drums were the snare drum, the base drum which he used his foot to press a button which powered it, a clamping symbol which again he used the same method as the base drum, and lastly two other normal symbols but one of the symbols Michael had drilled holes in it and put nails in it so it made a buzzing sort of sound.

The first song they sang was Take Me Right Back To The Track Jack. It was a very lively song and it also included all of the instruments.

The second song that the band sang was Go For 2 & 5. This wasn’t at all hard to sing because I had already sang it before. Adam got some people up from the crowd and asked them if they wanted to scat, which is lots of silly words really fast but to the beat, on stage. Some people I know went up to scat such as Guinevere and Tracy together. They both did really well and were really brave.

Another song that they sang was I Wana Be Like You. I liked this song the best because it was good that I knew the song so I could sing along. Adam also sang this song.

The fourth song they sang was Chaboogy. It was the only song that the whole group sang at all. They were Adam and Joe, Len and Marc who sang only parts of the Corus.

The last song they sang was Angelina. It was sang by Adam and it was a very lively song.

I thought that it was very entertaining. My favourite song they did was I Wana Talk Like You and my least favourite was Go For 2 & 5. It wasn’t very interesting to me because I already knew the song and it was a bit boring. I would’ve liked it better if they had let all of the people have a go on the xylophones and scatting. But it was still good that they interacted with the audience a bit.

Report by Jemma C

Article posted August 6, 2011 at 01:00 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 159

On the 3rd of August in the undercover area, The NED Show came to our school. The performer who came was named Chad. He was a professional 'yo-yoist'.

Chad has performed in lots of countries like: America, including the White House, Canada and Australia. Last year, he performed to 2.2 million.

Chad showed us quite a number of tricks with his yo-yo: 'Walk the Dog', 'Drag the Cat', 'Rock the Baby' and around the world. He also showed us how to make 'The Eiffel Tower', 'St Georges Cross' and the 'Sky lift'. My favourite was the 'Eiffel Tower'.

Chad asked 4 students some questions and Elizabeth won a yo-yo and a 'balloon crown' which Chad called a 'Brain Fireworks'.

Chad had a special message for us using NED, a cardboard cut out. NED stands for Never give up, Encourage others and Do your best.

Chad showed us three types of yo-yos which were the NED yo-yo, the boomerang and the Cosmic Spin. I would like to get the Cosmic spin.

The NED Show was very interesting and I would like to see it again. My favourite part of the show was when Chad put the into his mouth and took them out and it looked very colourful. It was fun to watch.

Report by Andrew C

Article posted July 26, 2011 at 03:20 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 208

Today everyone in the class did a typing speed check. Below is my result. Qian can type faster than me. We will check how many more people can later in the term. We will check in the middle of the term and the end of the term to see who has improved.

Article posted June 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 215

Over weeks 8 and 9 of term 2, the whole school has been doing in-term swimming. The classes were split into 4 groups to do school swimming every day.

In the first group the classes were Area 11 (my class), Area 9 and Area 7. The lesson time was from 9:20 to 10:00 am. In the second group the classes were Area 4, Area 3 and Area 8 and the lesson time was from 10:05 to 10:45 am. In the third group the classes were Area 2, Area 12 and Area 5 with a lesson time from 11:00 to 11:40 am and in the fourth and final group there was Area 10, Area 6 and Pre Primary and their lesson time was from 11:45 am to 12:25 pm.

In my class the range of levels were from level 4 to level 12. Most of my class were in levels 7 to 10. Most of our class really enjoyed school swimming however some of our class don’t enjoy school swimming as much. There are a few who don’t even attend swimming but go to the teacher that has the leftovers that day which is usually Mrs Lowe (my teacher).

I’m was in level 10 and I did it with levels 11, 12 and 12+. There were no people from my class that were in level 12+, actually there was only one year 7 in level 12+. There were 11 people in my swimming class which were mostly Area 11’s. There were only two of Area 11’s year 4’s which were Eric and I. We were working on CPR, DRSABCD, rescues, survival and survival strokes.

I really enjoyed school swimming and I think everyone else did to. Even when it was pouring with rain and the paths were flooded, all of us just waded though and didn’t even care about it. It was a whole lot of fun!

By Zac

Article by Zac Coleman

It was a Tuesday like no other besides the fact we had cross country that day. Everyone turned up at around 8:50 and ready to walk to cross country. The cross country was held at the Burrendah field. Though the weather was a bit of a put down, but we were lucky as the weather had calmed down so we could then walk to Burrendah.

It was cold and windy and the ground was wet as we were about to leave from Oberthur. Our school travelled in a big long pack while we were walking.

It took about 15 minutes to get to Southlands shopping centre. Burrendah was now right across the road. I saw the cones for where the track was. Wow it was so much bigger than what Mr Jay announced.

The distance the year fives and lower had to run was 1.5 kilometers or 1500 meters. The year six’s had to run 2 kilometers or 2000 meters and than the year sevens had to run a long, 2.5 kilometers or 2500 meters. Though it sounds easy huh?

Well it wasn’t.

The year 5 girls went first, the year five boys were next, year 4’s went next, year 3’s than to the year 6’s and 7’s. Luckily the weather wasn’t too bad to run it though it was cold and windy.

Everyone glared over to the start of the track were the year 5 girls were ready to run. I perched myself besides the finish line of like the others had done. The excitement rose as the whistle blew the girls ran at fast speeds over-taking one-another. Finally the gap of the girls occurred and now you could clearly see what position the girls were in.

The leader (winner) of the pack came around the corner with a red, puffed out face. She jogged for a little while until she had reached the the far side of the soccer goals, that’s when her pace rose furiously. People had been instructed and recommended to go faster near the far side of the soccer goals.

The cheering engaged rapidly when the leader of the girls pack was about 10 meters away from the finish line.

As she finished I shivered in a cold way and a nerve-racking way. I slowly walked over to the starting line while the race was still going. I noticed the two cones on each side of the starting point.

I lined up with the other students ready to start, before you know it the whistle blew. I sprinted for the first 50 meters then got into a fast jog for about 400 meters. Around the corner near the football goals my stamina plummeted. Still winning I slowed down my pace completely.

I jogged up until the point were Mrs Taylor and Mr Jay announced my opponent was 10 seconds behind which I think was an exaggeration as after I gained speed and went around the swamp I couldn’t help myself but to look behind. My opponent hadn’t even got to Mrs Taylor and Mr Jay yet so I steadied down my pace.

As I reached the end of the soccer goals yet again I started to sprint

I was close to the end still with my sprinting pace.

I ran over the line and looked back. The student in second place was still near the swamp and just coming to the soccer goals. He also had a fast pace for the 100 meters in between and came rushing through the finish line.

My raced had now finished and the year 4’s race was on now. I though was not paying so much attention to these events as I was in the warm change room talking with my friends. Although I do know the winners of each of the year 4 and 5’s.

Year 5 Girls: Ashlee C

Year 5 Boys: James M (me)

Year 4 Girls: Emily B

Year 4 Boys: Eric J

The year 5 and under went to line up in year order. We were doing this to go to get lunch. Once the teachers had counted all the seated students.

We started to start walking. The big packs of students slowed down at the side of the road, we waited for a few cars to go past than we crossed the road. Our pack was in front of McDonalds now and that’s when we split up to go to the lunch area we wanted to go to. I went to Subway with my friends.

We just finished eating and headed for McDonalds to pick up most of the other students.

Once they had been picked up we started to walk back to school.

I would like to have a big thanks Mr Jay for organizing the occasion and training us for the event, I would also like to thanks Mrs Taylor for training us for the run and to Ron (our school gardener) for putting the cones out for the run.

by James M

Article posted April 13, 2011 at 06:36 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 181

Our Merit Certificates this assembly went to Samantha and Kingsley.

Two of our class members received music awards - Cienna and Qian.

Our class also won the Golden Keys award for our musical seascape creation.

Ashna received an award for being in the winning team of the 3 on 3 Basketball with Bec and Tayla M.

James was part of the Oberthur Interschool Tennis team who played against other primary schools at Burswood.

Article posted April 13, 2011 at 06:25 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 113

On 31st March a women named Julie from St John of God came to our school to talk about first aid. The first thing we did was talk about Doctor DRAB and D stands for danger R stands for response A stands for airway and B stands for breathing.

After Julie finished talking about Doctor DRAB she showed us on the TV a short clip how to be calm when you ring the ambulance, talk clearly and slowly so they can understand what you’re saying also the clip said if you don’t know what to do they will help you.

Julie told us the recovery position but you have to do it straight away before you call the ambulance. She did it on Karl and then we got partners and I was with Tracy. I did the recovery position to Tracy first and all of us were laughing because it was ticklish for some people but it wasn’t ticklish for me.

It was really fun and I enjoyed. I can’t wait to do it next year.

Area 7

We are keeping watch on where our visitors come from. Locations of visitors to this page We are also keeping count of our visitors. Free Counters The weather pixie will show you the weather and time of day in Perth, Western Australia. The WeatherPixie