This week we are starting to talk about how persuasion is used in our world and most especially in advertisments (commercials). In class, we noticed that there were THREE ways that advertisers try to appeal to consumers (people that buy stuff) or to try to get them to agree with their point of view.
The three ways were:
1. Emotional Appeal- try to make YOU the viewer feel emotion (excitement, pity, love, sorrow, etc)
2. Trust- to to make YOU the viewer feel trusting because of the name or person in the commercial
3. Logic/Reason- try to give you information that tells you this product or opinion makes sense
Tonight you must do one of the following to collect 5 ads and analyze them for how they are trying to appeal to you (remember, many ads use combinations):
1. Watch kid-friendly TV (with parent's approval) and view at least 5 commercials. Summarize the commercials, the product/opinion, and how they tried to appeal to you/why.
2. Look through a magazine or newspaper and check out 5 appropriate ads. Summarize the ads, the product/opinion, and how they tried to appeal to you/why.
3. View 5 ads/commercials on the Internet. Summarize the ads, the product/opinion, and how they tried to appeal to you/why.
4. Use a combination of the above to obtain 5. Summarize the ads, the product/opinion, and how they tried to appeal to you/why.
**You may add a link to an appropriate ad or picture of an appropriate ad, if you'd like, for your classmates to view.
**Remember to check spelling, capitalization and grammar. Proofread, please!
**You may add a comment or publish on your own blog. Remember- hyperlinks and pictures don't work for comments.
In the Pet Smart commercial, the cute puppy had a favorite toy and it became dirty. The owner threw it out and bought him the exact same toy from Pet Smart. He was happy again and carrying his new toy with him. This had emotional appeal because many people feel happy seeing a cute, little puppy. It also showed that we can trust Pet Smart to have the things we need to take care of our pets and make them happy.