Copyright (c) 2014 by Molly McGraw Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Molly McGraw -- Blogmeister

Front of the Fridge Door-

Our Fourth Grade Blog

We are excited for a new way to share some of our writing with you. Enjoy! Locations of visitors to this page

by Molly McGraw

Dragon Blogs (5th Grade)
Room 19 (5th Grade)
The OTHER Portable C (3, 4, 5)
Australian Buddies
Seattle Kids, 3,4,5
Long Island 4th Graders
4th Grade Bloggers from Beirut, Lebanon
Minnesota 5th Graders (Mr. Monson's Class)
Classroom City Blog (Wisconsin)

Article posted September 25, 2009 at 04:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 5823

I have recently moved from the US to take a teaching position in the United Arab Emirates. My new students will be in first grade. They will speak Arabic instead of English. Since they are still learning how to listen & talk, I think it will be a long time before we will be ready to read and write on a blog.

In the meantime, I will try to keep an eye on all of you (namely my former students) by reading your new blogs. Well, that is if I can ever figure out your nicknames!

See you in the States in 2 years!

With love,

Miss McGraw

"If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying."

~ Coleman Hawking

This quote sums up my weekend! This Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I was learning how to facilitate rock climbing and rapelling sites. I started out knowing NOTHING, but after many mistakes, I was able to learn the basics. I felt discouraged, overwhelmed, frustrated, and even stupid at times. It reminded me of the way some of the kids in our class might feel when they are trying to learn something that's new and challenging for them.

Now I know the right way to check for safety, tie a dozen knot, belay, coil ropes, and to advise other people on the techniques of climbing and rapelling. In the end, I even passed my rock ceritifcation tests! Through the whole process I was reminded that learning can be very hard work! The experience reminded me of the importance of doing your best to learn from your mistakes instead of just getting upset with yourself.

Please read some of the lessons that your classmates have learned!

Today we are going back to kindergarten. Well, not really...

Your assignment today is to make an online ABC book.

1. Pick a topic that you know about. Maybe you are an expert on sports? What about sleepovers? Do you know about iguanas, baking, taking care of goats, or Germany?

2. Type out the ABCs. Make each letter stand for something that relates to your topic. For example, if your topic was school, you might write A = apple; B = book; C = coloring, etc.

3. Publish! You will have an opportunity to share your ABC book with a first grade buddy.

Article posted May 7, 2009 at 07:43 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 40

Thank you to some of our wonderful moms and dads who have helped us type up our weekly homework paragraphs!

Fridge Door Kiddos--Your job today is to review your homework paragraphs, revise and edit, and then publish them. See how many articles from the past you can post!

We've been talking about similes, metaphors, and personification in class. Today, we even read "Crazy Like a Fox" by Loreen Leedy. It's a story full of similes. For computer lab, your assignment is to show me you can craft a sentence that includes one example of a simile, metaphor, or personification. Since our class is currently obsessed with flying squirrels, spring, and ninjas, try writing about those topics. :-)

Dear Fourth Graders,

Welcome back! I hope you had a great break and are ready to really make the most of the last couple weeks of school.

Today, you're job is to write about an event that could happen. (You should have 3-5 sentences.) What's the probability that it will actually come true? Do you think it will be impossible, less likely, equally likely, more likely, or certain?

Hmm . . . I think it's certain that at least a few kids will ask me questions about this assignment. :-)

~Miss McGraw

Article posted March 20, 2009 at 06:35 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 39

Miss McGraw’s Top Ten Books

(Limited to books I’ve read during the ’08-’09 school year.)

10. Ella Enchanted; Gail Carson Levine. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and really enjoyed the clever twist on a classic tale.

9. Firegirl; Tony Abbott. I didn’t like the way this book ended, but I did like the raw human emotion in it. It reminded me that it is not always easy to respect and care for other people, especially when they are different.

8. Whittington; Alan Armstrong. Who can resist a charming, storytelling cat? Not me! I enjoyed how there were really 2 stories in this book—and both of them had to do with dreams coming true.

7. The Omnivore’s Dilemma; Michael Pollan. I would describe this book as interesting, eye-opening, and challenging. It's a robust report on (1) what we should choose to eat, and (2) how it should be produced. I'd recommend this book for anyone who has ever asked, "What's for dinner?"!

6. Snow Treasure; Marie McSwigan. I might not like this book quite as much as I did in the 5th grade, but I still admire the daring and courageous choices the children of Norway made to help their country during World War II.

5. The English Patient; Michael Ondaatje. I am fascinated with Northern Africa, and this book made me even more curious about visiting, knowing, and respecting a place as wild as the desert. I also felt for the characters as they had to deal with very challenging situations.

4. The House on Mango Street; Sandra Cisneros. Sandra Cisneros has an amazing ability to take boring, ordinary “slices of life” and turn them into beautiful, thought-provoking, and meaningful moments. (I also have to admit that I liked how the chapters were so short.)

3. Rascal; Sterling North. After I read this book, I felt nostalgic for a bygone era when a boy and his silly raccoon could play and adventure to their hearts’ content. This book is charmingly sweet and innocent.

2. Across Five Aprils; Irene Hunt. I appreciate the way Jethro, the main character, wrestles with his conscience as he tries to determine what is “right” and “wrong” during the Civil War. Just as Jethro changes, I also changed and came away from this book with a new perspective on this time in history.

1. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian; Sherman Alexie. Despite major disappointments and more suffering than a high schooler should have to endure, Arnold, the main character, still manages to live his life with hope. Another aspect that made the book special was the way the author “tells it like it is” and doesn’t worry about shocking the reader. Even though I like Alexie's frank, straight talking writing style, it makes the book more suited for middle or high school readers--not 4th grade readers. :-( So, for now, tuck the title away in the back of your mind and don't forget to read it when you are a little bit older!

Article posted March 12, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 46

We were unable to study the artist, Marc Chagall, as much as I wanted to this week. Even though it was a quick study, I do hope you enjoyed making your "Chagall Dreamscape"!

Dear Room 21,

As you know, we are just starting fractions. I'm guessing that you probably have a lot of questions!

Your job today is to write 1 fraction question on our blog. Maybe some 5th grader will answer you!

With love,

Miss McGraw

I cannot believe it's February already! Over Winter Break you did a book report. I was very impressed by all of the different books you read and the different ideas you presented in your book talks.

You have a choice in your next blog assignment. The assignment is due by next Thursday.

Choice #1 = Publish your book talk paragraph.

Choice #2 = Write a "Top Ten" list of your favorite books you've read so far in 4th grade. You will need to give the title, author, a number rating, AND one specific reason why you like it and would recommend it to someone else.

We'll talk about the assignments today and then you'll have time at writing stations to finish it and post it during the next week.

With love,

Miss McGraw

2007-2008
2008-2009

This website is approved by the school distirct. All material posted by students will be governed by the Appropriate Use Policy, especially the district policies against bullying and harassment and the district Internet Use policy provisions addressing offensive language and transmission of personal information about self or others.