Copyright (c) 2014 by Mr. H Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mr. H -- Blogmeister

Fantabulous Fifth Graders-

Writers and Beyond

by Mr. H

Blackboard
Free Rice
Haultains Hawks
Sout Paris Collaborative 5th Grade

Article posted January 3, 2010 at 04:12 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 4169

Happy New Year ~ 2010 promises to be an exciting year filled with learning opportunities for us all. Here is an idea I had after reading someone's blog during Winter Break. We are going to use "Glogs" for book reports. Here is an example of one I created on the City of Ember.

Article posted December 22, 2009 at 01:13 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 87

It was 3 o'clock and the students all had their snacks and were eagerly awaiting our read aloud time. I called them up to sit down in front of the Smartboard to enjoy the stories I was about to read to them.

I logged on to the computer and navigated my way to a fifth grade class blog called South Paris Collaborative. From there, we read through the pseudonyms in the right hand margin and choose to read Dancer's blog.

I read aloud the first post "Parent Teacher Conferences" where Dancer writes about having to attend the conference and feeling a bit nervous about that experience. However, it was the last couple of sentences that really caught my attention:

"I wouldn't mind being included in the conferences because it helps me know what I have to work on and it makes me feel like I am important to the conversations that happen during the conferences."

Who is in charge of this students learning? She is, she is clearly in charge of her own learning and that will make all the difference. Well done young Dancer!

Article posted December 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 110

Homework for Tonight.

1. Read for 20 ~ have a discussion about the book, parent signature in agenda.

2. Social Studies ~ read pages 90-94 and answer questions from worksheet.

3. Writing ~ Snow Day writing adventure due tomorrow.

4. Spelling due tomorrow.

5. Science ~ Test Thursday. There is homework but I am sitting in my kitchen at home and cannot remember what it is...perhaps someone could post a comment to let us know. Thanks.

Announcements

---> Winter Party Tomorrow ~ 12:00-1:00. We'll be designing wrapping paper, organizing the gift boxes, and finishing up with a catered luncheon. Sounds fun to me.

---> Please return report cards

---> I am collecting Blogging Permission Slips.

hmm...did I forget anything?

We write everyday! We live our lives like writers taking notice of our world around us and when we sit at the computers we compose our stories. It's truly a magical time.

Your children have been doing a fantastic job at our Digitized Writing Workshop. Each morning they open their Microsoft Word document and practice at becoming a better writer. The students send me those documents on our class website for me to review, and the next morning they log on to the computers to see my comments. We also have Our Wiki, which is where we take notes and they are able to use that website during their writing time.

Homework

1. Read for 20 and get a signature

2. Writing Adventure due on Wednesday (Snow Day)

3. Spelling Challenge due on Wednesday

4. Social Studies ~ read pages 82-87 and complete worksheet.

5. Science ~ test on Thursday, December 17

6. No Math tonight.

Please check out the Blackboard for the spelling list, Snow Day writing adventure, and Social Studies worksheet if needed.

A group of my students are reading a book by Beverly Cleary called Dear Mr. Henshaw, in which the main character, Leigh Botts, misses his dad because he is an over the road truck driver. The students generated tons of questions after wondering what life would be like while living on the road. Then we used Skype in our classroom to call my dad, who just happens to be an over the road truck driver with a webcam on his rig. So, the students could finally get some answers to all of their questions.

Here is a small portion of that experience.

Here are some of the student generated questions:

1. Where do you sleep on the truck?

2. How do you cook on the truck?

3. Do you use maps or GPS?

4. How do you make your appointments like the dentist or doctors?

5. What is the farthest place you have driven to?

6. What has been your favorite place to visit?

7. Do you like your job?

8. How do you deal with being away from family so long?

9. Do you get tired of driving all day?

10. What do you haul?

Article posted October 22, 2009 at 11:47 AM GMT0 • comment (9) • Reads 117

Pancake Feast Tomorrow ~ see you at 10

Homework on a Thursday

1. Read for 2o minutes or more and get into your "Bubble." After your bubble has popped, fill in that mighty agenda and then have a parent sign away.

2. Social Studies State Test is November 16 and 17, yeah! Here is a link to the pages we are working on tonight. Pages 18-25 ONLY.

3. Math ~

This blog post is from a student from class not Mr. Howell.

Homework for Wednesday, October 21, 2009

1. The first thing we need to do is read a Just Right book for 20 minutes. Then I need to write down the information about the book in my agenda and have a parent sign my agenda. Mom, don't let me forget to have you do this after I read...thanks :-)

2. Next, I need to complete the Math homeowrk form the yellow packet on page 20.

3. I have a brand new spelling lis so I can start working on my 100 points that are due next Wednesday. Don't forget to study for the quiz on Wendesday as well.

4. We also have our Map Projects that we astarted in class that our teacher would like to have those finished by Next Friday, OCtorber 30 but I will try to get mine finished before then.

Sincerely,

A Hard Working Student.

Announcements

Friday is our Pancake Breakfast starting at 10:00a.m.

Please plan on having a packed lunch for your child as lunch will be in the classroom at a later hour since the pancake breakfast will keep them from being hungry around their usual lunchtime.

From a Parent Homeroom Rep.

"A flyer went home last week regarding a Gift Basket for the Fall Festival on Friday, October 30th. Several families have sent in items to fill our “Arts & Crafts” Basket (for 5th grade fundraising). If you have yet to send in an item for the basket and are still interested, please feel free to send something in with your child."

Article posted October 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 83

Good Mornin'

Sorry I was unable to be in class today however, I do look forward to a wonderful report back from the guest teacher on how hard you have worked.

Tonight's Homework

Reading

read for 20 minutes, record information in agenda, and have a parent sign the agenda.

Complete the Story Elements packet by Thursday.

Science

Study from the review packets for our test tomorrow

Spelling

Complete at least 100 points from the Spelling Challenge. Quiz tomorrow.

Announcements

School Pictures Thursday

Have a fantabulous day!

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:24 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 76

Hello There,

Homework for this evening

1. Read for 20 minutes and record information in agenda and then have a parent sign the agenda.

2. Math ~ page 99 in the yellow packet needs to be completed, multiplication worksheet due tomorrow, and there will be a quiz tomorrow.

3. Science ~ complete the Scientist worksheet that was started in class.

4. Social Studies ~ complete the Globe Lines worksheet

5. Spelling ~ choose one activity from your Spelling Challenge and turn in tomorrow.

6. Tomorrow is blue day.

2009-2010

Study for your spelling test at Spelling City.com Free Rice Locations of visitors to this page
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Classroom. Make your own badge here.