Copyright (c) 2014 by Brian McLaughlin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Brian McLaughlin -- Blogmeister

Room 110 Blog

All things computer, all things technical are discussed here. DON"T use your full name or reveal anything about emails, cell phones or anything else personal!

by Brian McLaughlin

Allied Health
email me

Article posted June 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 19587

Join now. (Suggested, not required) Share your thoughts/reactions.

The Bully Project is a relatively new movement and film empowering all of us – kids, parents, educators to build a world where empathy and respect rule – not the bullies. Will you join me and demand an end to school bullying? http://thebullyproject.com

Article posted May 2, 2014 at 09:31 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 10229

Several times during the course, teacher made videos have been posted to offer assistance on a topic and recently, a whole section of instruction on the use of tables in Word was presented via video downloaded from a website. One of the amazing aspects of this activity was that NOT ONE STUDENT reacted to/commented on this new mode of instruction in any way!

"Hey, Mr M, that was cool!!"

"Can you believe that guy, not even teaching us something in class before expecting us to use it on assignments??"

"There was a video??"
(Actually, I think I heard that one!)

"The video was amazing - how do you do that?"

"This class is bad, and that video was a real piece of ..."

HAVE YOU EVER BEFORE HAD A TEACHER PRODUCE A VIDEO TO TEACH YOU A TOPIC???

PLEASE use a blog entry to give me some feedback on your take on the experience. Positive, negative and everything in between. Offer suggestions for improvement; should it be done again, should it be done regularly?

Include an embedded video in your post and an example of something you find useful. This could be a video made by you or found on YouTube (or elsewhere on the web).

Please post by Tuesday, May 6 @ 10:00PM.

Article posted March 27, 2014 at 02:24 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 11563

Created at audioboo.fm. Use headphones in Room 110.

Can you make one? Yes, you can!

Assignment: Work with your pamphlet building group to create a 3-5 minute podcast (only audio on this one) (perhaps audioboo.fm will be useful?) talking about your experiences during the pamphlet building process. DON'T SAY ANYONE'S LAST NAME! Check with your class audio experts if you need help!

Write out (or at least plan out) a basic script before you begin to record your podcast. Perhaps you could explore a 'mock' interview show (like mine, but with more real people!) Remember that people listening may not know what you did in class, so 'Set the Stage' for listeners by including details. These podcasts will be listened and commented by Mr. M and some other teachers. As you begin to hear podcasts for your fellow students please add meaningful comments. Each student should post the team podcast on their own, classblogmeister blog.

Post your podcasts ASAP, but make sure they're posted by Friday, April 4th @ 10:00pm.

Article posted March 14, 2014 at 10:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 3402

Tags are used to help us find content!

Created using Blog Tag Generator

Technorati Tags:

Article posted March 6, 2014 at 02:36 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 1607

Created using Blog Tag Generator

Technorati Tags:

Article posted March 4, 2014 at 09:44 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 694

Meet the designer behind the Fitbit

The FitBit is a cool device you can wear on your wrist to assist with reaching fitness goals. Gadi Amit says the device has an intuitive user interface, a good fit for a wearer's body, and, above all, functionality. He should know. He designed it.

I was interested in this because I need help maintaining my fitness level and I wanted to learn more about the FitBit. I have friends who use the device. It was interesting to learn a little bit about the man who designed it!

Bessette, C. (2014, February 28). Meet the designer behind the fitbit. Retrieved from http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/02/28/meet-the-designer-behind-the-fitbit/

Article posted March 4, 2014 at 08:43 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 426

Find an article, 1 per week minimum, Any article that you can connect to computers, technology, Internet (++health care!) is allowed.  Put a link to the article, a brief summary and what about the article caught your eye/interested you, and a proper APA reference citation. I used Citation Machine to construct my reference. You could also use/double check with the OWL Site linked from the school website. Post in an article on YOUR blog.

My sample begins:

Homing in on cancer with new imaging method

There are many reasons why in the era of cutting-edge medicine it is still difficult to cure cancer. A tumor may, for instance, consist of different tumor cell subpopulations, each of which has its own profile and responds differently to therapy – or not. Furthermore, the cancer cells and the healthy cells in the body interact and communicate with one another. How a tumor then actually develops and whether metastases form depends on which signals a tumor cell receives from its environment. With the development of a new method a team of researchers has succeeded in comprehensively profiling and visualizing tumor cells from patient samples.

I am a high school student in a Science/health related program taking a technology course, so of course something that involved technology and science interested me! I hope I never need to be scanned for cancer, but I'm glad to see new imaging methods being developed.

(2014, March 03). Homing in on cancer with new imaging method. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140303083555.htm

In this case, I found a related video (You won't always have a related video!), so I embedded it here:

Article posted February 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 242

Cross posted on the Mr M blog!

Carefully read the summary of The Horizon K-12 Report for 2013

Summary of Horizon Report

Use the google document you created on day 1 to help you construct a ning blog post to summarize 5 things you did not know before reading the document or 5 things you found interesting. Use a different paragraph for each item you identify.

The Horizon Report: A Quick Video Overview

All FCGP posts (no matter where they are) must be tagged (AAHS

& FCGP14-1)

Post your article by Tuesday, March 4th @ 10:00pm

Article posted February 20, 2014 at 08:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 136

Now that you have logged in and gotten the feel for posting a blog, please use a blog entry to share your thoughts.

Express your opinions on how things are going in Computer Applications class. What do you like? What do you dislike? What would you change if you were in charge?

Try to respond as soon as you can, so people can begin to share experiences. As fellow students begin to post responses, explore posting comments back to them. Make the comments 'meaty', meaning put some thought into it and don't just do a "Yeah, what she said!" Post your blog responses by February 28 @ 10:00PM. NOTE: Blog deadlines are not as strict as other assignment deadlines.

Article posted February 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 146

Give your blog a title. (Control Panel) When entering ANY information, remember not to include specifics about your full name, address, email, cell or other phone numbers or any other personal specifics. Post your first blog entry to this blog by clicking on articles, typing your response, checking the request publishing check box and then clicking save. Use this entry to just say hello and verify that you were able to login.

Section 3
Section 4

Locations of visitors to this page Add to Google