Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Ruffing Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Ruffing -- Blogmeister

Yellow Brick Road
Cougars on a Path of Discovery
-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Mrs. Ruffing

ClustrMaps
Flag Counter
Google Translator Widget
Google Clock
Student Blogging Challenge
CougarTech3
CougarTech4
CougarTech5
CougarTech6
CougarTech7
CougarTech8

Some projections have indicated that on Monday, October 31, 2011, (when many of us celebrate Halloween) the world’s 7 billionth person will be born. Although the exact date isn’t really important, we can be certain that by the end of 2011 there will be 7 billion plus people on this planet. National Geographic is devoting a year of special publications to this population number. Here are some interesting videos they have produced on the topic (unfortunately there may be a short commercial at the beginning of each):

Our students in seventh and eighth grades have been researching the Millennium Development Goals and will soon be posting some info on what they have learned. Do you know about these goals? They are goals with common vision and global commitment. According to the World for World Organization:

We share this small and fragile world with a growing number of our fellow human beings. What happens in one country increasingly affects those who live in other countries. We will not have a safe and secure world unless we react all against poverty, injustice and inequality. We are the first generation that Can Eradicate Poverty. We have the resources. We know what to do. Let’s refuse to miss this opportunity.

From a meeting of world leaders in the year 2000 came the Millennium Development Goals, and the plan to eradicate poverty by the year 2015. Some progress has been made but there is still so much to be done. As a “birthday present” to the 7 billionth human being on the planet, we could make the effort to become aware of these eight goals, support the efforts of corporations and government agencies involved in promoting and advancing the goals, and look for ways that we as individuals can do something to make this world a better place. Click on the image below to visit information about the goals and additional videos to watch compiled by the UN global teaching and learning project CyberSchoolBus.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ~Anne Frank

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. ~Dr. Seuss

Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something. ~Author Unknown

Article posted October 29, 2011 at 09:04 AM • comment (3) • Reads 85 • see all articles