Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Ruffing Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Ruffing -- Blogmeister

Yellow Brick Road
Cougars on a Path of Discovery
-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Mrs. Ruffing

ClustrMaps
Flag Counter
Google Translator Widget
Google Clock
Student Blogging Challenge
CougarTech3
CougarTech4
CougarTech5
CougarTech6
CougarTech7
CougarTech8

Title: 8th S.S. #2 - Spain v. England (10/20/09)
Description: 8th Grade Social Studies Blog Question # 2: Spain vs England (Due 10/26)

Within 100 years after Columbus’ first voyage, Spain had become the richest nation in Europe by establishing an empire that extended from what is now the southwestern US to Chile in South America. And yet, it was the English that eventually gained control of what is now the U.S. Why do you think the English “won the battle of settlement” in the U.S. and what do you think might be different today if they had not?

Article posted October 27, 2009 at 02:04 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 248

As Spain and England both had said to have claimed the new land it mostly came down to who had had settlements on the area. Spain technically found and claimed the land first they never started colonies in north america. They only started there large settlements in central and south america. This helped England because when some religious groups wanted to be away from the home land to be free to practice there own religions beliefs. If you look at it as a whole the English gained more land. If the English had another chance i think they would have also tried to sail south and get riches. If Spain had another chance they would have probably put permanent settlements.

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 11:01 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

I think that the English “won the battle of settlement” in the U.S. because Spain just found and explored the land but they never officially settled it. Therefore, the English settled the land but Spain didn’t stop them. If Spain did settle this land of the New World then our lives would be like the lives that people in Spain have. We would be ruled by the same people and we would probably all speak Spanish. The population of the whole world would probably consist of way more Spanish people than English just because Spanish people would have the New World and their original country Spain.

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 06:34 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

Spain was a very powerful and rich empire, but why didn’t they win the battle of settlement over the English? I think that the English won the battle because they might have had better leaders. If Spain had won the battle I think the world would be different. We would most likely speak Spanish as our first language and maybe even some of the architectural designs of buildings would be different.

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

The English eventually defeated the Spanish armada simply because England's army grew to be more powerful and overcame  the Spanish and claimed the land in the New World. It's interesting to think about how life would be different if the English had not defeated the Spanish armada. First off, we would most likely be speaking Spanish as our first language. We may have never even become our own country and we might still be a colony of Spain. Every day people in America would be eating foods such as rice, corn, and eat tacos on special occasions. We wouldn't have many of the freedoms that we have now thanks to our independence from Great Britain. Clothes would all have a Spanish influence. Our system of education would be different and not everyone would get to chose what profession they wanted to master when they grew up. Thinking about all the things that be different if we were still living under Spanish rule makes me appreciate all the great things the founding fathers of America did for us even more!  

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

Although Spain had first conquered the U.S., they had never settled enough people there so it wasn’t really like they even conquered it. Then the English decided to gain control, since the land was unoccupied and they settled people there. If Spain did have settlers in the U.S., it would be now a Spanish speaking country and we would all be Spanish. We would not have anything that had to do with the English.

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 03:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

The Spaniards were a powerful group that never gave up. They had swords, guns, and horses. It helped them win battles and conquer land. If the Spaniards had not defeated the English and took some of there customs, we may not have developed the English language. We might not have organized a system of gonernment, churches, or social classes. We might stll be living off the land like our ancestors.

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 09:58 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

I think the English won because maybe of the president we had back then or Spain didn't want the USA anymore. Another theory I thought was that maybe Spain started to lose the money they had and the English gained money and took over and Spain had nothing else in their power. If the English didn't gain control, the Spanish would've probably conquered more empires if the US has empires and we've probably be working as slaves or be trading a lot.

Article posted November 30, 2009 at 08:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

If I had to choose a colony I would choose Maryland because it's a wonderful state. It was the fir st state to have tobacco growing and very good soil for crop growing. Lord Baltimore was the founder of Maryland in 1634. Captain John Smith explored the Chesapeake Bay. Maryland was free in religion because Lord Baltimore was kicked out of Virginia for being religious so he made a new colony in Maryland for religious toleration.

Article posted October 25, 2009 at 05:20 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 42

Between Spain and England, England seems to have figured out the better way to establish settlements in the New World.   Although the Spaniards had explored and claimed most of the United States' southern border (from Florida to southwest California), they had not actually settled in all of the land that they  explored and claimed. In addition, the Spaniards never sent word to anyone to inform them that they had claimed the land that they explored. By failing to create settlements or communicate about the land they explored, the English were able to discover and make their claims for that land. Unlike the Spanish, the English established settlements (which developed into colonies) in the land they then claimed.

If the English hadn't established the settlements at the time they discovered the land, there would not have been any challenge to Spain's claims to the land. They most likely would have developed settlements in those regions and could have resulted in those lands being separated and not part of what is now known as the United States.  It is likely those settlements would have been devoted to the King and Queen of Spain and therefore, would not become part of a new country. The make-up of our country would have been vastly different if the Spanish would have been able to maintain their claims.