Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Ruffing Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Ruffing -- Blogmeister

Yellow Brick Road
Cougars on a Path of Discovery
-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Mrs. Ruffing

ClustrMaps
Flag Counter
Google Translator Widget
Google Clock
Student Blogging Challenge
CougarTech3
CougarTech4
CougarTech5
CougarTech6
CougarTech7
CougarTech8

Title: Health Post Grade 7 (05/31/12)
Description: Demonstrate your understanding of key health concepts from this year by writing a post on the documentary viewed and discussed in class. View assignment details here.

Article posted June 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 302

This year in health class our class was watching a documentary called super-size me. In this documentary a man named Martin was going to eat McDonald’s for a month. He wanted to see all the frustrating things that can happen with your body while Martin is eating at a simple fast food restaurant constantly like McDonald.

At the first day thing everything was fine but on 2nd day things started to change. Before Martin was going to do the challenge he went to a doctor and a nutritionist, to see if it was all right to do this experiment. In the super-size me, documentary the doctor, and the nutritionist, said that Martin has great health. So Martin can do it, but the doctor said to take precaution of what he eats in McDonalds. When Martin started he wanted to find out about how many calories is he eating in McDonalds so he can write it down on the chart he got from the nutritionist. Though while he was doing this he was going through changes like being depressed most of the time and, also having sever sicknesses.

I have learned a lot of things while watching this documentary, super –size me. I learned that if you exercise more and eat healthier food you have to go through what Martin did. Also I learned a lot of health issues that your body can have. That is what I learned out of all of this.
mso-bidi-font-family:Aharoni">

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 01:51 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 109

For the past couple if weeks, we have been watching a documentary called Super Size Me in health class. Our health teacher has showed us this film because she has been teaching us about the nutrients we need, and what foods the should come from. She has also been teaching us about the exercise we need to get in order to stay healthy. Super Size Me is about this guy named Morgan Spurlock. He made a plan to eat McDonalds for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for thirty days. He met up with doctors to monitor what's happening to his body. This film is also very educational to the people who watch it. The film teaches us about the obesity of americans, and what just eating McDonalds for thirty days can do to your body. As a result, the then-32-year-old Spurlock gained 24½ lbs. That's a 13% body mass increase, a cholesterol level of 230, and experienced mood swings, and fat accumulation in his liver. It took Spurlock fourteen months to lose the weight gained from his experiment using a vegan diet supervised by his future wife, a chef who specializes in gourmet vegan dishes.The reason for Spurlock's investigation was the increasing spread of obesity throughout U.S. society, which the Surgeon General has declared "epidemic," and the corresponding lawsuit brought against McDonald's on behalf of two overweight girls, who, it was alleged, became obese as a result of eating McDonald's food. Spurlock points out that although the lawsuit against McDonald's failed, much of the same criticism leveled against the tobacco companies applies to fast food franchises whose product is both physiologically addictive and physically harmful. To see this video, click here. I learned that eating McDonald's is very bad for you. Us Americans need to stop eating fast-food and start excercising. Fast-food does not have the nutritions we need in order to live a healthy lifestyle. Although the video didn't really effect me personally, I do believe that the rest of America should watch this. My lifestyle choices will remain the same because I rarely eat fast-food. I am also always outside and getting plenty of excercise.

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 01:24 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 128

In health class at my school we have been learning about nutrition and to kind of get a visual aid, we watched a video on Youtube called "SuperSize Me" which takes place in New York City, New York at his home, doctor’s offices and McDonald’s around the United States. The video was a documentary put together by a man named Morgan that decided to eat McDonald’s for 30 days straight for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Morgan who was running the documentary had a great, healthy diet to start and was about 150 pounds. On about the 20th day he had gone to see an Exercise Physiologist and had found out that he was now wagering about 200 pounds. Morgan is not used to all of this type of fast food because his girlfriend is a vegan chef so he is more used to eating things with low dairy counts and not a lot of meat.

Before Morgan could start this challenge of eating McDonald’s for 30 days straight. He visited 3 specialists to see if he was healthy enough to start.  During the first 2-3 weeks of this diet Morgan was throwing up and having stomach pains etc., during the last couple weeks; he started feeling out of breath too. He learned that although McDonald’s may seem delicious and so much fun to go there to get the toys and to play in the jungle gym, the food is very bad for you with high sodium and sugar levels. The labels may say with real potatoes or with no sugar added or real fruit, people should ask for the nutrition table to see if those things are all true. "SuperSize Me" may seem like a gross and disgusting video about a person who has no life, but to most people who are watching it they are learning that products at the McDonald’s are not what they are cut out to be. The only exercise that Morgan is getting is walking to and from each McDonald’s and then walking up the steps to his apartment. Morgan may have seemed healthy, but when he went to the specialists, the numbers he received for his cholesterol and other things.

I learned that each person that goes to McDonald’s should only be going there about once or twice a year and exercising afterwards and they should keep exercising daily if they want to be physically fit. Below are the equations that we talked about during our health class, they tell you how much weight is lost or gained and the calories burned. I was personally affected by this documentary because I don’t normally go to McDonald’s and it was interesting to see that by this video all of the things that I learned from this video I didn’t realize that McDonald’s could be that bad for you. I rarely go to McDonald’s and I now don’t really want to go after seeing that documentary in health class.

*Maintain weight: calories eaten = calories burned

Lose weight: calories eaten < calories burned

Gain weight: calories eaten > calories burned

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 201