Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. Ruffing Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. Ruffing -- Blogmeister

Yellow Brick Road
Cougars on a Path of Discovery
-

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Mrs. Ruffing

ClustrMaps
Flag Counter
Google Translator Widget
Google Clock
Student Blogging Challenge
CougarTech3
CougarTech4
CougarTech5
CougarTech6
CougarTech7
CougarTech8

Title: Health Post Grade 7 (05/31/12)
Description: Demonstrate your understanding of key health concepts from this year by writing a post on the documentary viewed and discussed in class. View assignment details here.

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 740

My class studied human forms in health, and watched the documentary "SuperSize Me" as an example of bad eating.  We learned that the process to make their signature "McNuggets" requires a gruesome process that nobody, or nothing, should ever have to experience.  It shows the trickery of the toys in their "Happy Meals" to lure children into their clutches.  The playgrounds and characters, even a television show, were created only to allow the kids to become addicted on the food just for the toy.

In the video documentary, a man in perfect health, and a vegetarian, has a goal to eat at Mcdonald's for 30 days, as a meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Before he accepts the challenge, he asks multiple doctors and has tests, to help his health, and they advise him that he should have an easy time doing it.  There is a catch to it, though, that if offered to be "Supersized" he must accept, therefore, that's how the title is "SuperSize Me".  Throughout the 30 days he does it, he asks multiple McDonald's if they have a nutrition chart to either post or hand out.  The one that he does find is hidden and they won't make copies as handouts.  In the end it makes him so obese and have so much problems that he comes close to death.  He eventually makes it to day 30 with 9 supersizes, and he ate enough McDonald's that nutritionists say he should eat in 8 years, and totally had 90 meals, which is close to the number of meals consumed once a month in an 8 year period.

In this documentary, I learned that  McDonald's is just trying to get business from people, not caring about the customer's health, because even though they make salads now, they still use so much fat in the dressing that it is just as bad.  a person should manage their nutrition through eating healthy foods with good proteins, such as steak and chicken.  They should exercise up to 1 and a half hours each day. I was personally affected by this realizing hiow glad I am not to be obese, or eating McDonald's daily.  I am sure that, if I do have it, I will wait about 4 months before having one again.  That is why I will be glad that I am not obese and that this assignment will hopefully help you understand to not eat for toys, but to be healthy.         

Good Luck, and have a great summer. D.J. AP

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 01:24 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 107

In health class at my school we have been learning about nutrition and to kind of get a visual aid, we watched a video on Youtube called "SuperSize Me" which takes place in New York City, New York at his home, doctor’s offices and McDonald’s around the United States. The video was a documentary put together by a man named Morgan that decided to eat McDonald’s for 30 days straight for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Morgan who was running the documentary had a great, healthy diet to start and was about 150 pounds. On about the 20th day he had gone to see an Exercise Physiologist and had found out that he was now wagering about 200 pounds. Morgan is not used to all of this type of fast food because his girlfriend is a vegan chef so he is more used to eating things with low dairy counts and not a lot of meat.

Before Morgan could start this challenge of eating McDonald’s for 30 days straight. He visited 3 specialists to see if he was healthy enough to start.  During the first 2-3 weeks of this diet Morgan was throwing up and having stomach pains etc., during the last couple weeks; he started feeling out of breath too. He learned that although McDonald’s may seem delicious and so much fun to go there to get the toys and to play in the jungle gym, the food is very bad for you with high sodium and sugar levels. The labels may say with real potatoes or with no sugar added or real fruit, people should ask for the nutrition table to see if those things are all true. "SuperSize Me" may seem like a gross and disgusting video about a person who has no life, but to most people who are watching it they are learning that products at the McDonald’s are not what they are cut out to be. The only exercise that Morgan is getting is walking to and from each McDonald’s and then walking up the steps to his apartment. Morgan may have seemed healthy, but when he went to the specialists, the numbers he received for his cholesterol and other things.

I learned that each person that goes to McDonald’s should only be going there about once or twice a year and exercising afterwards and they should keep exercising daily if they want to be physically fit. Below are the equations that we talked about during our health class, they tell you how much weight is lost or gained and the calories burned. I was personally affected by this documentary because I don’t normally go to McDonald’s and it was interesting to see that by this video all of the things that I learned from this video I didn’t realize that McDonald’s could be that bad for you. I rarely go to McDonald’s and I now don’t really want to go after seeing that documentary in health class.

*Maintain weight: calories eaten = calories burned

Lose weight: calories eaten < calories burned

Gain weight: calories eaten > calories burned

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 96

Many people today forget the importance of staying healthy. Some focus on only one portion of health, whether it's eating a nutritionally fit diet or exercising regularly. They don't see that in order to be in truly outstanding physical health, you have to incorporate both a nutritionally fit diet and regular exercise into your everyday life.

Recently we watched a documentary in health class entitled Supersize Me. It is about a man who eats nothing but McDonalds for 30 days and is required to exercise as little as possible, so he can show the harmful effects of fast-food combined with lack of exercise. In the beginning of the experiment, Morgan Spurlock, the man conducting the experiment, is seen by a nutritionist, gastroenterologist, and a normal physician. All of these doctors said he was in excellent physical health. As time passed and Morgan ate more McDonalds, he began to notice that he felt worse and worse every meal. When he saw the nutritionist half way through the experiment, he had gained weight, and his carbohydrate intake had sharply risen. With his lack of exercise, Morgan was told that he would feel worse and worse if he continued the experiment. The gastroenterologist and physician both agreed that he could potentially go into liver failure if he continued eating McDonalds for the remainder of the experiment. At the end of the thirty days, the nutritionist told him that if he didn't start exercising and stop eating McDonalds for every meal, there was a good chance he would die. The Gastroenterologist and physician both agreed that the McDonalds had damaged his liver to the same degree as an alcoholic, but in a fraction of the time it would take an alcoholic to damage their liver so severely. 

This video showed me the dangers of eating too much McDonalds without sufficient exercise to complement the fast food. Ideally, a person should eat a balanced diet comparable to that suggested by the FDA dietary guidelines. They should typically be physically active at a level equivalent to walking three or more miles at three to four miles per hour along with the light physical activity of daily life. This documentary showed me the severe damage eating too much fast-food can cause. It has made me think frequently about my health and well-being. Super Size Me has made me more conscious about my health and made me strive to exercise more frequently than before.

This documentary 

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 98

Nutrition is a very big part of being healthy. To contain a helathy lifestyle we can't eat fast food for every day of the week. But some people choose to do. The people who choose to do that put themselves in danger to having many problems with their health.

The video we watched, super size me, explaind how a man would eat Mcdonalds for a whole month. Before he started he visited a gastrologist, a regular doctor, a nutritionist, and a exercise physiologist. The whole point of the video was to get the point across that fast food is very fattening and that you can't eat it every day. Because his body was not used to the food, he got sick on the 2nd or 3rd day. He said it was like quitting smoking. That after you stop for 5 days you are good but in his case after you ate the food for 5 days. After a few days, he again visited the doctors again. He gained a little wait and his blood pressure was high. Along with not eating properly he was also not exercising as much a normal, Which also had an impact on his weight.

During this video I realized that too much bad fatty food is not good for you. Occasionally it is okay but not every single day. I learned many of the illnesses that can occur from the intake of fast food everyday. People should know how to manage their diet. If people are going to eat athat much, they should al least exercise. Moderate physical activity is walking or running done at less than 60% of max heart rate for age. Max heart rate is 200 beats/minute minus the persons age.

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 81

In our 7th Grade Health Class we have been studying food and nutrition and watched the documentary Super Size Me which shows the drastic effects of an unhealthy diet. It is specifically about how eating only fast food for 30 days would affect a person's health. At the same time, it shows how the rate of overweight and morbidly obese people has increased.

In Supersize Me, the creator of the documentary agrees to do a test on how much it would affect him if he only ate McDonald's food for 30 days. He also agreed to "supersize" while on this diet, meaning that he will not only eat only fast food for 30 days, but he must also choose the largest sizes available. He also isn't allowed to exercise or walk for long distances during this time. He had multiple people from several medical fields examine him throughout the experiment to see how much this would affect him. Among the several were an exercise physician and a nutritionist. He is very drastically affected by this experiment, even to the point where several of his medical advisors recommend that he should immediately stop the diet. Among the things that increased greatly was his cholesterol which jumped from being at a perfectly healthy level to an extremely unhealthy level. Throughout this diet he performed several other experiments such as trying to find the nutritional value of the different items on the menu, and checking out school cafeterias to see the kind of diets kids were having during school. Click here for more information on Supersize Me.

The documentary shows that people should only eat fast food in moderation and that people also need lots of exercise. Everyone should get about an hour of athletic activity and almost any nutritionist will recommend that people eat no fast food. This documentary disgusted me even more especially when I saw the school cafeterias and what they were feeding the students because I had already known how unhealthy school lunches were already, but this showed that they are even worse than people think. I personally gave up eating fast food 2 years ago because it had started making me sick and I decided to live a healthier lifestyle. I have since quickly become much more athletic and have been eating much healthier. I don't regret my choice to stop eating fast food, in fact I think that it has helped me a lot.

Article posted June 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 176