Copyright (c) 2014 by Jimbo Lamb Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jimbo Lamb -- Blogmeister

Math talk-

Math with Mr. Lamb

The idea behind this blog is to allow students the chance to talk about math. Students do not often get this chance, and by talking about the different concepts, the students arrive at a better understanding. This leads them to be more involved in math.

by Jimbo Lamb

Not long ago, we began Unit 5: Data Analysis and Probability. Today, you will reflect on what you have learned in Unit 5 (Lessons 26-32). In order to do this, you will have to:

1. Go back and read your Unit 5 Preview blog, where you wrote about what you thought you knew about the concepts in Unit 5. State what you got correct and incorrect in the Unit 5 blog. You didn't know everything that was going to be covered in these lessons, so there should be something for each part. (5 points)

2. Respond to the Essential Question from each lesson (This can include a full summary of the lesson, not just definitions):

Lesson 26: What are the measures of central tendency, and how do we find them?

Lesson 27: How do you create and utilize stem-and-leaf and box-and-whisker plots?

Lesson 28: How do you use a scatterplot to predict possible outcomes of a situation?

Lesson 29: How do you calculate and apply the principles of probability?

Lesson 30: How do you determine permutations and combinations and use them to find probabilities?

Lesson 31: How do you calculate odds in favor or against and compare it to probability?

Lesson 32: How do you use data from an experiment to predict further outcomes?

(5 points each for a total of 35 points)

3. Give an example of how an idea from one of the lessons could be applied in the real world. Maybe one of these concepts could be applied to a field that you might work in some day. (5 points)

In your blog, you will reflect on various things: What did you know? What did you have wrong? What did you learn? By reflecting, you will help demonstrate to me what you have learned, and you will also help to solidify many of the concepts into your bank of knowledge. (Total of 45 points available for this blog)

Unit 5 is our last unit. It covers the concepts of Data Analysis and Probability. Below you will see a list of the concepts we will cover. What I would like you to do is to state what you think each of these topics are. You may know some of them, and you might have to research some others.

1. Stem-and-Leaf Plots, Box-and-Whisker Plots (2 things to write about)

2. Scatterplots, Lines of Best Fit and Their Equations (3 things to write about)

3. Measures of Central Tendency (1 overall big thing to write about, which is made up of smaller things. Write about them, too)

4. Probability (1 thing to write about)

5. Permutations, Combinations, and Probability (3 things to write about)

6. Odds and Probability (2 things to write about)

7. Predicting from Data (1 big idea to write about)

Again, some of these you may know, and others may be new to you. Do your best. I don't expect you to get everything right, but you can make some good guesses as well as back up your thoughts with a little research.

This blog is worth a total of 21 points (3 points for each number above).

Over two months ago, we began Unit 4: Algebraic Concepts. Today, you will reflect on what you have learned in Unit 4 (Lessons 16-25). In order to do this, you will have to:

1. Go back and read your Unit 4 Preview blog, where you wrote about what you thought you knew about the concepts in Unit 4. State what you got correct and incorrect in the Unit 4 blog. You didn't know everything that was going to be covered in these lessons, so there should be something for each part. (5 points)

2. Respond to the Essential Question from each lesson (This should include a full summary of the lesson, not just definitions):

Lesson 16: How can you use reasoning to extend patterns?

Lesson 17: What are functions and how are they used?

Lesson 18: How do you identify lines from equations, apply the idea of slope, and work with direct variation?

Lesson 19: How do you solve systems of equations?

Lesson 20: What is compounding and how is it used in investing?

Lesson 21: What are inequalities and how do you identify solutions?

Lesson 22: How do you graph and find solutions to linear inequalities?

Lesson 23: How is inverse variation used to solve problems?

Lesson 24: What are polynomials and how are the operations applied to them?

Lesson 25: What are the characteristics of a quadratic function and how do you find the solutions of a quadratic function?

(5 points each for a total of 50 points)

3. How can an idea from one of the lessons be applied in the real world? Maybe one of these concepts could be applied to a field that you might work in some day. (5 points)

In your blog, you will reflect on various things: What did you know? What did you have wrong? What did you learn? By reflecting, you will help demonstrate to me what you have learned, and you will also help to solidify many of the concepts into your bank of knowledge. Make sure to write in complete sentences and complete thoughts. (Total of 60 points available for this blog)

Unit 4 is a doozy. Ten lessons in all, we will be exploring the concepts of Algebra. Below you will see a list of the concepts we will cover. What I would like you to do is to state what you think you know of each of these concepts. You may know some of them, and you might have to research some others. Write at least three complete sentences on each. This can include how the concepts might be used.

1. Inductive Reasoning and Patterns

2. Functions

3. Linear equations, Slope, and Direct Variation

4. Systems of Linear Equations

5. The Growth Formula and Interest

6. Inequality Relations

7. Linear Inequalities and Their Graphs

8. Inverse Variation

9. Polynomial Operations

10. Quadratic Functions

Remember, when doing research on the web, do not just copy what you see on websites. Look around, compare information, then rewrite what you found into thoughts of your own.

Make sure that when you are talking about concepts, any reader will know what you're talking about. Write as if they do not know what the topic is. The best way to do that is to state the topic that you are writing about.

This blog is worth 30 points (3 points for each of the 10 lessons listed above).

Today, you will reflect on what you have learned in Unit 3 (Geometry: Lessons 11-15). In order to do this, you will have to the following:

1. Go back and read your Unit 3 blog, where you wrote about what you thought you knew about the concepts in Unit 3. State what you got correct and incorrect in the Unit 3 blog. You didn't know everything that was going to be covered in these lessons, so there should be something for each part.

2. Respond to the Essential Question from each lesson (This can include a full summary of the lesson, and should not just be definitions):

Lesson 11: The Pythagorean Theorem: How do you use the Pythagorean Theorem to find missing sides of a right triangle?

Lesson 12: Properties of Triangles and Quadrilaterals: How are the properties of triangles and quadrilaterals useful in the real world?

Lesson 13: Congruence and Similarity: How are congruence and similarity used to show relationships between shapes?

Lesson 14: Circles: What are the relationships of parts of circles, and how can they be used?

Lesson 15: The Distance Formula and Midpoint Formula: How do you find the length and midpoint between two points?

3. Give an example of how an idea could from one of the lessons could be applied in the real world. Explain in detail. Maybe one of these concepts could be applied to a field that you might work in some day.

Points will be assigned as follows: 5 points for part 1 (Reflecting on your learning), 5 points each for lesson questions, and 5 points for additional comments. This blog is worth a total of 35 points.

Through your blog, you are reflecting on various things: What did you know? What did you have wrong? What did you learn? By reflecting, you will help demonstrate to me what you have learned, and you will also help to solidify many of the concepts into your bank of knowledge. Make sure to write complete thoughts in complete sentences.

Next, we begin looking at Unit 3, which deals with Geometry. Your task will be to write about what you know about the following topics:

1. Geometry

2. The Pythagorean Theorem

3. Parts and properties of triangles and quadrilaterals

4. Congruence, Similarity, and Angle Measures

5. Parts and properties of circles

6. Distance and midpoints

These are the main topics of this unit. You might know something about these topics, and you may not know much. I would like you to at least make an educated guess as to what these topics are. Make sure you write using complete sentences, and write a short paragraph about each idea (what is it, how might it be used?, etc.) At the end of the unit, we will reflect on these original posts.

This blog is worth 20 points.

At the beginning of Unit 2, you wrote a blog on what you believed measurement was and how it could be used in the real world. Today, I would like you to go back and read that post. What did you have correct? What were you way off on?

For the Unit 2 Reflection, you need to do the following:

1. Reflect on what you had correct and incorrect before we began the unit.

2. How could one of these lessons be used in the real world?

3. Reply to the essential questions for each lesson with at least 2-3 complete sentences:

Lesson 8: How do you find perimeter, circumference, and area?

Lesson 9: How do you find the surface area of an object?

Lesson 10: How do you find the volume of an object?

There are 25 points available for this blog post: 5 for question 1, 5 for question 2, and 5 for each essential question. Make sure that your essential question responses include (but not limited to) what the main topic is, how the concepts are used, etc.

Unit 2 deals with Measurement. Today, you are going to blog about measurement. Begin by answering the following questions:

What is measurement?

How is the idea of measurement used in the real world?

Where might YOU use measurement in your life?

Some of the topics we will explore in this unit also include:

Perimeter

Area

Circumference

Surface area

Volume

Write a short explanation of what you think these five topics are.

Don't worry if you are unsure about one or more of these topics, that's why we're going to go through the lessons! As with Unit 1, you are going to be previewing your learning by writing about what you think you know about these topics. Then, at the end of the Unit, you can reflect on what you did and did not know, as well as what you have learned.

Make sure to write in complete sentences and thoughts. Even though you are responding to specific questions, someone who reads your blog may not know what you are referring to if you are not using complete thoughts. You will not receive full credit if you only write one sentence responses. This blog is worth 20 points.

Today, you will be blogging about the important ideas from Unit 1. Unit 1 covered the ideas of Numbers and Operations, dealing with concepts such as scientific notation, proportions, and irrational numbers. Today, you will reflect on what you have learned in Unit 1 (Lessons 1-7). In order to do this, you will have to:

1. Go back and read your Unit 1 Preview blog, where you wrote about what you thought you knew about the concepts in Unit 1. State what you got correct and incorrect in the Unit 1 blog. You didn't know everything that was going to be covered in these lessons, so there should be something for each part. (5 points)

Lesson 1: How is the order of operations used with number properties to help solve problems?

Lesson 2: How do you use powers, roots, and scientific notation to solve problems?

Lesson 3: What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers, and how are they used to solve problems?

Lesson 4: How are absolute value and integer operations applied?

Lesson 5: How are ratios and proportions used to help us solve real world situations?

Lesson 6: How are ratios and proportions used in percent and conversion problems?

Lesson 7: How is estimation used to simplify the problem solving process?

3. Give an example as to how an idea from one of the lessons could be applied in the real world. Maybe one of these concepts could be applied to a field that you might work in some day. Be specific as to how the concept could be used. (5 points)

In your blog, you will reflect on various things: What did you know? What did you have wrong? What did you learn? By reflecting, you will help demonstrate to me what you have learned, and you will also help to solidify many of the concepts into your bank of knowledge.

Make sure to write in complete sentences. If you are only answering with one sentence for each question, you will not earn full credit. I am looking for thoughtful writing on the concepts we have covered. (Total of 45 points available for this blog)

Unit 1 is our first unit. It covers the concepts of Numbers and Operations. Below you will see a list of the concepts we will cover. What I would like you to do is to state what you think each of these topics are. You may know some of them, and you might have to research some others.

1. Order of Operations

2. Number Properties

3. Powers

4. Roots

5. Scientific Notation

6. Irrational Numbers

7. Absolute Value

8. Integer Operations

9. Ratio and Proportions

10. Percents

11. Estimation

Again, some of these you may know, and others may be new to you. Do your best. I don't expect you to get everything right, but you can make some good guesses as well as back up your thoughts with a little research. This blog is worth 20 points.

Math for Standards 2011-12

I am a high school math teacher and technology and instructional coach. I enjoy watching hockey and soccer. I also play and coach soccer and read comic books.