Copyright (c) 2014 by david warlick Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
david warlick -- Blogmeister

Notes from the Studios of Class Blogmeister-

by david warlick

2¢ Worth Blog
My Flickr Photo Page
My Instagram Photo Page

Article posted March 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 11373

Ray Bradbury's short story takes place on Venus and was written over a half century ago, but time, and location, do not change human feelings and reactions. We have read the story and now I would like you to blog your reaction to it; thinking about the questions below.

Article posted March 8, 2014 at 06:10 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 595

24counter.com is a free widget allows you to see GEO locations of all visitors. It's also offers to see top countries , top regions , top visitors and recent visitors by geographical location. Click to signup button to get free world map hit tracker on your website or blog.

Article posted March 8, 2014 at 06:07 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 639

With FEEDJIT, You are about to join over 1 Million site owners around the World who use Feedjit to improve user engagement and create a live surfing experience. The feed on the right-hand side is your sample feed that you can use to customize what your Live Traffic Feed will look like. You can drag the inside of your traffic feed up or down to pause it or see older visitors. The data in your sample feed is actual live data showing people visiting Feedjit.com right now.

Article posted March 8, 2014 at 06:04 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 586

Geo Visitors Tool will automatically detect where in the world visitors are coming from when they visit your site. It was created way back in the day (2005 to be exact) by digitalpoint for use on MySpace and similar sites, but it's still extensively used today. To use, simply copy/paste the HTML code on the right to your website.

Article posted March 8, 2014 at 06:01 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 1121

I'm going to spend a little time scanning through some of your blogs, looking for various widgets that you are using successfully, and posting them here.

I hope that this will be helpful.

First, Bunnyhero Labs!

bunnyhero labs is where bunnyhero works and plays in his quest to defeat EVIL. here you will find toys of mass distraction, silly drawings, and other objects of ridicule.

Article posted February 2, 2014 at 05:29 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 1113

I've spent most of the weekend installing CB v1.5. I'm calling it 1.5, because the overall look and behavior of the service remains unchanged. Mostly, I was going after polishing the look and feel and also adding in some tricks that I've learned over the years, mostly using Java and something called jQuery.

One apparently valued feature that I've added is the ability to upload on image, of no more than 50kb for blog articles, and it seems to be pretty spiffy.

Sun Feb 2 5:04 AM

The most time-consuming part, thus far, has been moving your banner images from the current location to the archived location. It took most of yesterday, but the whole thing crashed last night, when I left it running on my computer, and all of the archived images were lost. So I'm trying a different method this morning, and hopefully this will work better.

Sun Feb 2 5:25 AM

I’m now trying to debug why I can’t add this blog entry to my blog. Very peculiar.

Sun Feb 2 5:29 AM

Fixed it, and it’s a lesson in grammar. Programming is entirely about gam mar and syntax. One comma where it’s not supposed to be, and the computer completely misunderstands what you want it to do.

Article posted January 10, 2014 at 08:30 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 960

Over the holidays and with the glorious abundance of time I've consciously not spent on the road lately, I have been putting some sweat into Class Blogmeister. Admittedly, I've left it alone over the past years and been, pretty much, a silent partner to all of you teachers who continue to use it and push its possibilities.

But I have continued to program, on other projects, and have developed some skills that I didn't have when I initially built CB. Those skills have been poured into our blogging service, and I'm ready to pull off the sheet. But before I do, I want to open it up to you, for the weekend, to kick around in. Look for problems, features that are broken, holes, missing features. I've tested it as well as I can't, but you guys are probably doing things that I haven't imagined, and so, wouldn't know how to test.

I've still got a little bit to do today, but it should be finished for the weekend. If all goes well, then I replace the old version with v1.5 next week.

I hope you'll like it as much as I've enjoyed making it.

Staging Site: http://classblogmeister.com/cb_work

One addition: Some of the banner pictures that you have uploaded as students or class may not show up on the staging site. No worries. They will on the live site.

Article posted December 17, 2013 at 09:25 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 853

I've left Class Blogmeister pretty much alone over the past several years, and I didn't truly realize how many years until I started digging into some of the code -- an act of archeological excavation, it felt like. I've learned so much, over the past years that simply hadn't shown up in CB.

So, for the next few weeks, I will be working through some of the features of the site, mostly updating the look and feel -- but in some instances updating the interface. Case in point is the map interface on the opening page. We really need to work on coloring in more countries.

Anyway, here is another update that I will likely install later on today. Give it a try. Post and article. As has been the case in the past, tweaks I make here, sometimes cause problems over there. So please let me know (david@onlearning.us) if you run into anything.

Happy holidays to you.

Article posted November 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 1640

This flower is not there any more, but it is HOME.

I've let on in the mailing list that I am dramatically cutting back on my speaking travels. It's an advantage of being self-employed, that I do not have to set a retirement date. I can just slow down at my own pace. My plan is to devote much more time to Class Blogmeister and Citation Machine, working on the design, debugging continuing problems, and adding a few features here and there. Right now, I am cleaning up the code, so it will be easier to track down problems and also implementing some design tricks I've learned over the past months. There is now a work version of Class Blogmeister where you can see changes in action – so to speak. http://classblogmeister.com/cb_work/ So for those of you were are left, thank you for your patience and loyalty. dfw

Article posted April 4, 2010 at 02:05 PM GMT-5 • comment (26) • Reads 1269

Greetings, and I hope that you are having a wonderful Sunday holiday.  I've been working on Class Blogmeister, the comments features to be specific.  That part of CB has been tweeked so much that

the code was coming too look like the spider's web of an intoxicate arachnid.  So I completely rewrote all of that code and it seems to be working fine.  There were actually a number of different programs that handled comments, depending on the type of comment and the security settings of the teacher.  Now it's all in one program.

Also, I took the opportunity to change the way that comments are made secure by the teacher.  Rather than choose one setting from a list of three options, you can now choose to switch on or off for different settings.  They are:

• Teacher Approval Required
  • Class Password Required
  • Must be a Class Blogmeister member
  • Must be a Class Blogmeister member and a member of the class

The second two are brand new.  With the 3rd feature switched on, people need to be logged into CB in order to post a comment.  That way the commenters ID number is associated with the comment.  If the 4th feature is switched on, then the commenter must either be assigned to the blogger's class or the teacher of that class.  This should help out a lot...

1st Make Believe Class
2nd Make Believe Class
3rd Make Believe Class

I'm a 37-year (vagabond) educator, traveling the world and spreading the news that effective teaching and learning should, and could, be the most exciting endeavor that any society engages in. Now, after more than three decades of it, I am seeking a new intersection between play, passion and purpose. However, I suspect that Class Blogmeister will continue to glow, grow and flow!