Copyright (c) 2014 by Rich Ruggeri Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Rich Ruggeri -- Blogmeister

Mr. R's Classroom Blog

Comp Apps G3

Computer Application, Graphics and Multimedia students explore a variety of technological advances while collaborating with their peers.

by Rich Ruggeri

Mr. R's Portaportal
GoTo Web 2.0
Can Web 2.0 Change the World?
Flickr
Copycat Kids!
CopyRight Quiz
Windows on Maine
Mr. R's Wikispace
Mr. R's Professional Blog
Mr. R's Calendar
Schenck HS
Creative Commons

Title: So, what stood out? (09/14/10)
Description: OK, so your class watched the PBS Frontline program "Digital Nation" which many aspects of your digital world were examined. Of all the segments presented and discussed, which did you find most interesting? Support your answer and give one example that relates to your choice. Post to blog. Remember, check for spelling, grammar and punctuation. Assignment is due before your NEXT scheduled class.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 10:17 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 212

I find it very interesting, that kids can stay on the computer for more than two hours at a time. What game is so interesting that you would play it for ten hours straight? I can't believe that people are actually dying because they don't eat or drink enough because they are playing on the computer.

Article posted September 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

What really stood out to me was the game addiction. That people send more time on the computer than they do in their social life. They are being swallowed by the computer and they are being pulled into the second life. I thought the world of war craft and the avatars was amazing. I just thought over all the videos that they all have something in common and that is the fact that the technology over time has taken over and it has come to the point where we are very lazy. Because we are doing everything on the computer.

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 45

What stood out to me the most out of all nine videos was when the people in the lab were putting on this headpiece on and felt like they were actually inside a game. When I went to Florida last Summer,I went to this museum called Wonderworks. They had something similar there where you would look into these goggles and feel like you are in a video game. It was some type of army game. I thought it was really cool and when I saw the video on Monday, it instantly reminded me of the game in Florida. That's why I thought this video stood out to me.

Article posted October 20, 2010 at 02:20 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

I think Doctor Seuss is trying to tell his readers, both big and small that they have control of your own future. Like when he says, "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. Your You're on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the guy Who'll decide where you go." He is saying your have your own thoughts and you can go anywhere! You are your own person.

This relates to me because well actually this relates to anyone and everyone! No matter what you are your own person. No one can take that away from you you are who you are and you decide where you go!

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

I liked Virtual Worlds because I like making and drawing and thinking about different worlds. I also thought that if little kids (about 5 to 7 years of age) experiment something virtually then after a while they actually think they did it! Also the virtual world 2nd life would be very interesting to try. I also saw that if anyone virtually eats something they then feel full! I really think were on the right track with technology and with it there's nothing we can't do! It will just take time.

Article posted September 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

i liked the video with the army game because it looked like something a guy or girl who might be interested in the military could try, to see what it was like without the actual danger. Even if some people think they're trying to recruit kids to the military, it could be a good thing because we need more people over in Iraq protecting us. If its what the kid wants to do, they should have the right to understand what they might be getting into.

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

While we were watching PBS Frontline “Digital Nation” I found a particular segment interesting. The gaming craze in Korea was fascinating. I never knew Korea had such a problem with technology and the internet, especially when too much is causing death in some of the gaming centers. When a view of the inside of one of these gaming centers appears on the screen when I watch the segment, I’m still amazed at what I’m seeing; all teens or children sitting at a computer screen for hours on end. On the flip side though it must be a cool spot for friends to gather and just have a good time, if used responsibly. Another interesting thing about the gaming craze is that I saw Korea had “computer addiction” camps for people who spend too much time on their computers. I think this is crazy; they shouldn’t have camps when all the parent can do is unplug the computer that is causing the problem. This segment was the most interesting in my opinion.

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 54

The video I found the most interesting was the military video because it was very interesting to see people control a predator drone to destroy targets with hellfire missiles. I think it would be cool to create technology like that because it would help our country. I think it would be pretty stressful though. Not knowing if you hit a group of civilians or a group of terrorists.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 08:55 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 44

So What Stood Out?

I think the thing that stood out is the Second life world and world of warcraft game. It’s really interesting that you can go on and make your own characters, and play in a game and do basically everything you can’t do in real life. I do think it’s lame and pathetic for the people that get so addicted to virtual games and play for a whole day non-stop. Virtual Worlds and games aren’t all bad because the army center is cool and is an experience for young minds wanting to be in the action but they can’t be.

Article posted September 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 43

My favorite video was when they had the computer game when people wear a helmet and it looks like they are going to war, and its semi real. Scientist's tested the game on little kids, and first asked them if they have ever swam with a whale, and all of them said no. But once they played the game they thought they actually swam with whales. Sometime in the future I hope to find a game like the an try to play. I thought the video as very interesting.

Article posted September 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

Multitasking:

I think that some people can multitasking if its for little things but doing like 5 or 6 things at a time can be a little ridiculous. Some of the people that researchers may have tested for the may have not gotten as good as they may have if they would have been tested with things that they were familiar with.

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 07:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

In the first video distracted by everything; there were several things that interested me. The first thing that stood out was the family in the beggining. The dad and his oldest son were on laptops, and her two younger kids were playing a game on her iphone. The mom was surprised about how close they were all together, but everyone was so far apart; like they were all in seperate worlds.

Back awhile ago when a couple went away on a honeymoon for two weeks they had no idea what was going back home. That doesn't happen today when you go away from home there are several ways to keep in touch with friends and family. Today people on average spend fifty hours a week using technology. Which is more than the average work week.

Another thing that stuck out to me was the stdents at MIT. They are the smartest most wired people on the planet, but during mid-terms on an easy test that everyone should have gotten 100% on, the average was 70%. That was because of the multitasking. Although the averages showed that students were not multitasking well, the students said that it wouldbe almost unfair to not to let the mulitask. Most people who think they are great multitaskers are actually proven to be lousy at every aspect of multitasking.

Article posted September 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 47

One video from video nation that really stood out for me was the Virtual reality video. The most interesting part of the video was finding out that major companies have meetings through a program from second life. Second life is a virtual reality world where people can do amazing things like fly and they can customize their characters and can even make their own state of the art personal offices and buildings. Another big thing that hit me was the World of Warcraft game that many people are addicted to. It was really surprising to find out that people get married through this game. One way i can relate to this in real life is that I've tried World of Warcraft but I've never really liked it.

Article posted September 21, 2010 at 09:57 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

What stood out the most was section eight because I’m not sure what to think about virtual experiences changing us. I think that them using virtual spaces for military to treat post traumatic stress disorder is good. Also I like the drone’s idea because it gets our army out of the danger and they do not have to be hundreds of miles away from home. They can go to work and then they can be home a few hours later and people don’t have to worry about our people in danger. I am also thinking about how they are saying that people can’t tell the difference between the real world and virtual worlds. I think that people can see what you can do on a video game and the real world it’s not the same. But what I’m wondering what if there is some people out there that can’t if something they do on a video game is alright to do in the real world. I don’t think that this will happen a lot but it’s still scary to think about it.

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

The thing that stood out to me was the video clip that was about the military. The thing that stood out was that they used video games to help them want to sign up in the army. I do not believe that the army is using the video game center for that. I just believe that they are using it to give the kids a feel for what the army is actually like.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 08:54 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

The digital Nations Video, Virtual Worlds caught my attention out of the five PBS video's we viewed in class. It blew my mind that companies and businesses were using an internet virtual world to have meetings and work there everyday lives. In the Video they had an example of a company where everyone used a program called Second Life. They showed the offices of this company in the video, and they were completely empty. All the Employees were at home working on there computers in second life. They used Second life to make avatars and to have all there meetings. Although this is a great way to cut down on the cost of travel, i do think it would eventually start to affect the social skills of today’s citizens.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 08:53 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

The video that i saw that was most interesting was the one about the PC Cafes that were in Korea. Honestly i cant believe that some people would spend about 50 hours a week straight on a computer playing games. it is a very good thing that we do not have them in the United States of America because being on a computer that long would probably lead to health issues.

Article posted September 17, 2010 at 01:56 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

The one I found most interesting was part 7, Virtual Worlds, with that website virtual world, “Second Life”, because it was interesting of how business people use it to attend meetings with their virtual people. What caught my mind was that people use “Second Life” to meet other people around the world without flying on a plane, and they can do it in just their house on their sofa.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 08:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

What stood out most to me was “Teaching with Technology.” It was interesting because in “Teaching with Technology” most students were using Photo Booth to check their hair, take pictures but they would also multitask. And they would get on Facebook and MySpace which was forbidden but they would find ways to get on anyway. It was really interesting and I liked it a lot.

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

I fond that the virtual world was a lazy way to do things. The building the had was empty and every body stayed at home on their computers. Some people will get fat.

Article posted September 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

The Digital Nation video that I found most interesting was the one about multitasking. It almost scared me when it explained that some tests show that it could be bad for you. I multitask. All the time. While I right this I'm actually on facebook, texting a friend, and listening to music. My brother claims that he has to do things at the same time to concentrate. (Granted he's probably just saying that to keep mom from bugging him, but still.) In the end it can't have that much effect on people. It's just turning into a digital nation. I know it's rather off topic, but how are the countries that are far behind on technology going to be able to adapt?

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 01:52 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

I thought the one where the military used video games to get kids to join the military was interesting because if the kids might want to join the military they could see what it is really like, and it might decide for them. And if they still want to join the military they can and if they don’t they don’t have to.

Article posted September 19, 2010 at 03:30 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

What stood out to me was that it's hard to believe the many people that can stay online, or even play video games for more then 5 hours a day. The one video that I found interesting was the one when they got to act like they we're actually in the army. The cool thing about that, was that your actually participating in the army, when you really don't have to be there in person. It's pretty sad that people are dieing because they spend too much time on the computer and video games, all because they don't eat or drink anything.

Article posted September 20, 2010 at 01:04 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

The thing that stood out to me the most was when it showed how they treated PTSD with the games. They had them wear the goggles, and it showed them wearing the goggles and what they saw in those goggles were them seeing basically almost the same thinking that they saw in the war. I think its pretty neat how they could see and hear what they saw and heard in the war. This game was made so it could help the people with PTSD. This video stood out most because I thought it was neat how they could help people with PTSD this way.

Article posted September 20, 2010 at 08:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

Virtual worlds

In virtual worlds people were able to go on the internet and play many different games like world of warcraft. It is a role playing game that is played with two people and it is the fourth known computer game in the series of world of war craft. In second life people use it to have meetings about there jobs. There are other purposes of second life like meeting with other people around the world and go to other schools to visit other people and to learn about second life. In club penguin you can go to different places around the world and there is a site were you can play many online games in one place.

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

I liked the third digital nation video we watched. The one about how people are addicted to so many video games. I liked it because it just seemed very interesting to me, that it's possible for people to become so addicted to them that they don't want to do anything else, except for playing video games. I wouldn't be able to play video games that long because I don't like many video games.

Article posted September 20, 2010 at 02:05 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

I liked the video with the army. I thought it was cool how they used games to get people to join the army. But I could also understand why parents would get mad about this. I also liked when they showed how they were using technology to help solders with there stress after they come back form service. Plus it is cool how they have planes that can all over the world and do stuff why people in America are driving them. I thought it was really interesting how far we have come in technology. I can only imagine how far we will be when i m at of school.

Article posted September 19, 2010 at 08:10 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Well the video that stood out most to me was the video about Second Life. I think it's wicked cool that you can talk and chill with people from all around the world, but instead of it being just another chat, it's like real life. I think that would be something that I might try, because meeting people from all over and learning about their experiences in life sounds like fun. Its cool that they use it in meetings to save money too. That's a very smart idea. Well thats what stood out to me. :)

Article posted September 19, 2010 at 09:12 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 46

I liked the video about the Military using technology. I liked this video because I think its cool how somebody in the army can control an unmanned airplane from a computer to carry out missions across the world. I think it is ok to use this technology as long as the people using it know that they are still actually in the war and are actually doing it in real life and its not just a game.

Article posted September 20, 2010 at 02:06 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

I liked the part about the virtual worlds, I think it is a good place to meet new people but also a weird way because you don't know what they look like and if they are fake or not. When you are online you are not as afraid as you are in person, you can express how you feel better online then face to face because you are not so nervous. The only bad thing about it is you don't know if they are fake or what they look like or not. This would be a good way to meet new people and you can chat with people all around the world, virtual worlds could be used in trying to find a relationship.Virtual worlds are neat and they never get bored because you can go almost anywhere and do anything you want to do that the game allows you to do.

Article posted September 20, 2010 at 02:20 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 49

I think that the computer airplane is helpful because know one gets killed or hurt. That means that whoever is controlling the computer airplane can see their family again and some kids will not lose there dad. So the computer airplane is a good thing to use.

Article posted September 17, 2010 at 09:39 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

I think that the movie that stood out was the one on Second Life. It was cool how people were going to work and meetings without even leaving their house. The interesting part was that buildings meant for these types of things are empty and no one is there. The part about when it showed the classes on stuff like how to use the Second Life program was interesting.

Article posted September 19, 2010 at 01:48 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

Some of the people who work in the military can be stationed in a campus like building and still fight the war. They may be fighting the war in Afghanistan, but they all realize that it is true, it is not a video game, it is reality. When they press the button to shot a bomb, it is shooting a bomb in Afghanistan and doing destruction. I think that this is a great way for the Americans to be in war and still be able to see their families. They get to see their families just like other Americans that work, they get up go to work and come home and eat supper with their families and can see their children if they have any. All the squad that is stationed on the ground in Afghanistan don't get to see their families for up to two years or longer. Some of them will never see them again. I think that it would be neat if we could build robots that carry guns and grenades and all of the things that a solider needs so that way we could control them from the USA just like we do with the flying droids. This will make it so that way all the military men and women can still be fighting and be in a safe building thousands of miles away.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 60

I thought that the most interesting video was Relationships. I think it was interesting because people can go and talk to someone every day and form a relationship with them even though they have never met them before. On the video it showed people going to a convention for a gaming sight, and it showed people talking like they have known each other for years, but that could only be the first time they have met face to face. One girl even said she didn't see familiar faces, just heard familiar voices. There was also a couple that got married because they met on an online game.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 03:31 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

I think what stood out the most was South Koreas gaming insanity like staying up until 1:00 in the morning to just play video games. Parents should stand up and say no instead of just watching them play games 24/7 thats insane. I’m very glad though they’re having classes for kids to learn not to use computers all the time. I think something needs to be set up for kids and technology at South Korea and Asia. But we do live in a digital generation.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 01:28 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

I found that the article "Virtual Worlds" was the most interesting because the creator of the virtual worlds was Rosedell and he insisted that it was not a game it was a new life. It was also interesting because they can buy clothes, homes; go to banks, work and so much more just like we do. I can’t believe that people are actually taking classes just so they can learn how to play virtual games, which I have to disagree with. I think that if people are the interested in learning then do it on there own. People years ago did things by teaching themselves. If they are going to let that happen then people are just going to be more addicted.

Article posted September 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

I found the video about different relationships the most interesting. It made a good point. The internet is a new and very different way to meet people online, especially during virtual games and chat rooms. I can actually relate to this video because I have met a few people online myself. I can honestly say that I have never fallen in love over the internet before, or even gotten together with anyone in that sort of way. I found that topic to be very weird. I suppose people could get to know each other after a while, but it just seems awkward to me.

I am not against it in any way, I just would prefer to meet my true love elsewhere. It is also a safety issue because you never know what kinds of people you are talking to. Almost everyone can get access to the internet. Overall I enjoyed all of the videos, but this one appeared to stand out more than any of the others because nothing like this had ever occurred to me.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

What I thought stood out the was the episode where the kids could go to the mall and there were army recruiting things. Kids would be playing games and learning about the army at a young age. Some people think that this is a bad idea because they were comparing real life warfare to a video game on the xbox. This really doesn't compare to me at all because I do not think I am every going to go into the army, so I'm not gonna go to that place and learn or play video games about the army to help teach me.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

Dumbest Generation:

I chose this video because I found it to be really depressing. My parents are always after me to read, and on average, I read maybe 2 books a month. I’m not slow; I just don’t feel like doing it unless I have to. But many kids don’t read anymore, and the fact that college professors can’t have their students read novels more than 200 pages, is truly sad. The actually books, poems, or stories are always the best, not the shortened ones, or movies based on the books. I wonder if people will just stop writing books after awhile because no one or few people will read them.

Article posted September 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

What stood out for me was the video game addiction. That stood out to me because its hard to believe that people can spend that many hours on the computer. People are to involved with computers because they have places in other countries where parents send their kids because they think that they are addicted to the games  they play on the computer.

Article posted September 21, 2010 at 09:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

I picked second life. The reason I picked second life is because I thought it was cool that you could have big office meetings, meet new friends and didn’t have to see the real people in real life. If I was to make a second life I would have a cool island and a cool dressed up guy. The reason I would do that is because it would look cool to other people. Maybe some of the people on second life might know me and see some of the characteristic in the guy on second life as they see in real person.

Article posted September 22, 2010 at 02:29 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 47

I thought that the virtual experience video was cool because it showed ho it is helping soldiers with PTSD. It is like being in the army only on a video game and it helps them because to them it’s like actually being there. I also liked how they had those video games in the mall for the kids because it kind of shows them how it would look if they were actually there and its kind of a good way for the kids to make the decision of going into the military or not. I think that if I was in the same situation as the soldiers that the technology would help a lot because it’s like being there and I think it would take a lot of stress of a person with PTSD.

Computer Apps G3
Computer Apps G4
Computer Apps W3
Computer Apps W4

I currently teach Computer Graphics, Website Development and Computer Applications at Schenck High School. Additionally, I manage the town's high school and elementary school websites. In my free time, I enjoy exploring new "tech" tools, read, watch movies and listen to music.