Copyright (c) 2014 by Room 2 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Room 2 -- Blogmeister

The Almighty Bloggers

Mrs Kelso

We are a class of 11 and 12 year olds from Auckland, New Zealand

by Room 2

No Links added yet!

Article posted July 25, 2007 at 05:05 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 2124

It's been a while since we completed the Waterwise Programme, but here are some photos of us learning to sail Optimists and paddle kayaks! Everyone is looking forward to Waterwise again in Term 4...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Article posted June 28, 2007 at 04:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 94

Well we have one day left of school before the holidays. It will be a well earned break for students and teachers.. no doubt we will be back and rearing to go in Term 3.

I'd love our blog to keep going over the holidays, so be sure to check in and write about what you've been doing. You can also write about any interesting things you've heard about on the news, in sports etc. The finals of the America's Cup will be finishing.. GO TEAM NEW ZEALAND!

So Room 2, it's an impressive start. Keep it up and I will be checking regularly throughout the holidays to approve articles and comments. Maybe some of you can even figure out how to put pictures on your blog!

See you next term,

Mrs K

Article posted June 25, 2007 at 11:35 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 159

As part of our reading programme this week, we have been reading about Richard E. Hoyt Jr (Rick). His story is below. We're having many discussions and completing tasks related to this article he wrote. After we read his article, we also watched a short video of Rick and his dad.

Below is the article and the video. Keep an eye out for student responses on their blogs.

What My Father Means to Me

My name is Richard E. Hoyt Jr., and I have cerebral palsy. I cannot speak or walk. To write this story, I'm using a computer with special software. When I move my head slightly, the cursor moves across an alphabet. When it gets to the letter I want, I press a switch at the side of my head.

I am half of Team Hoyt. We are a father-and-son team, and we compete in marathons and triathlons around the world. Our goal is to educate people about how the disabled can lead normal lives. We started racing in 1979. My high school was having a road race to raise money for a lacrosse player who was paralyzed in an accident. I wanted to show this athlete that life can go on, so I asked my dad if he would push me. My wheelchair was not built for racing, but Dad managed to push me the entire 5 miles. We came in next to last, but in the photos of us crossing the finish line, I was smiling from ear to ear!

When we got home, I used my computer to tell Dad, "When I'm running, I feel like my disability disappears!" So we joined a running club, had a special running chair built, and entered our first official race. Many of the athletes didn't want us to participate, but the executive director of the event gave us permission. Soon we were running three races a weekend, and we even did our first double event--a 3-mile run and a half-mile swim. Dad held me by the back of the neck and did the sidestroke for the entire swim. We wanted to run in the Boston Marathon, but we were not allowed to enter because we had not done a qualifying run. So in late 1980, we competed in the Marine Corps Marathon, in Washington, D.C., finishing in 2 hours, 45 minutes. That qualified us for Boston!

A few years later, after a road race in Falmouth, Massachusetts, a man came up to my dad and said, "You are quite an athlete. You should consider a triathlon." Dad said, "Sure, as long as I can do it with Rick." The man just walked away. The next year, the same man said the same thing. Again, Dad said he'd do it, but only with me. This time the man said, "Okay, let's figure out what special equipment you'll need."

So on Father's Day in 1985, we competed in our first triathlon. It included a 10-mile run, during which Dad pushed me; a 1-mile swim, during which Dad pulled me in a life raft with a rope tied around his chest; and a 50-mile bike ride, during which he towed me in a cart behind him. We finished next to last, but we both loved it. Soon after, we did our first Ironman Triathlon. We've now competed in more than 950 races, including 25 Boston Marathons and six Ironmans. During every event, I feel like my disability has disappeared.

People often ask me, "What would you do if you were not disabled?" When I was first asked, I said I'd probably play baseball or hockey. But when I thought about it some more, I realized that I'd tell my father to sit down in my wheelchair so I could push him. If it weren't for him, I'd probably be living in a home for people with disabilities. He is not just my arms and legs. He's my inspiration, the person who allows me to live my life to the fullest and inspire others to do the same.

-Richard E. Hoyt Jr

In class we looked at this amazing way of doing multiplication. Check it out!

What do you think?? Does it work for all numbers? Why does it work?

I orginally found this on <[LINK]>

Article posted May 21, 2007 at 09:42 AM GMT0 • comment (18) • Reads 100

A huge thankyou to those students from other schools (and other countries) who have been commenting on our blogs - it is very exciting!

We would love to return the favour and read your blogs!

If you have browsed onto our blog, it would be wonderful if you could leave your url web address, so that we can check out your blog.

Article posted May 21, 2007 at 08:30 AM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 82

OK Room 2, time to get your thinking caps on.

Our class blog needs a name.

Come up with a fabulous idea and submit it into the competition by writing it on your blog. The competition ends next Monday (28 May) and I will choose the winner! You may enter more than one blog name, and the winner will not only receive the honour of having the name they came up with all over our blog, but will also get 5 house points.

Lets see those ideas coming!

Mrs K :)

Article posted May 21, 2007 at 05:41 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 84

What a wonderful start to blogging!

I'm sure everyone is enjoying reading your introductions so they know a bit more about you as a person. It's great to see those of you who are commenting on other people's blogs in a positive, constructive way - keep it up.

Remember that you can write this weeks homework on your blog instead of in your book if you would like to.

Here's a few ideas of other things you can blog about once you've written your introduction:

*a review of a film you've seen recently

*your life dreams - where do you want to be in 10 years?

*your all-time favourite book/movie/song and why - maybe tell us a bit about it, give us some history

*what you think about blogging

*facts about something you are interested in

Click on the comments button below, and add your ideas of other "thought starters" - things you can blog about!

Mrs K

Article posted May 15, 2007 at 03:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 75

Today we talked about blogs and what they are, and how our class blog will work. We also had a discussion about the importance of the rules of blogging. The letters have gone home, and as soon as you bring back your permission slip, you can be away and blogging!!

Your readers are going to want to know about you as a person - so your first post on your blog should be a little introduction about yourself. You can include things like how old you are, what you enjoy doing in your spare time, your favourite subject at school, a bit about your family, and whatever else you'd like your readers to know.

Happy blogging!

Mrs Kelso

Article posted May 3, 2007 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment (8) • Reads 61

Hello to Room 2 and friends

Welcome to our very own class blog!

This is your very own space to share your writing and ideas. I look forward to reading what you come up with!

Mrs K

Room 2