Copyright (c) 2014 by Carlene Gauley Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Carlene Gauley -- Blogmeister

Our Class Blog

Here we are! We go to school in Bengough, Saskatchewan, Canada. We want to share what we are doing in our classroom. Come and see!

by Carlene Gauley

Mrs. Cassidy's class
Voyageurs New Zealand
Miss Gauley's class podcast
Mrs. Marit's class
Mrs.Kick's class
Bengough School
Ms Noveh's class
Reindeer Music
Mathletics
Ms. Bullock's class New Zealand
Mrs. Muller's class
Bright Sparks
Mr. Brune's 5th Grade
Ms. Yollis's Class
MIss Noshie's 5th Grade

Article posted June 21, 2014 at 05:34 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 2733

MissGauleysclass's Class Trip Part 2 album on Photobucket

Our second project at the 4Cats Art Studio was spin art. As you can see, it was always a surprise to see what the picture would look like, because on the spinner it looked like a target or a lollipop!

Thank you Wivi for driving our bus, and Sheila for being a chaperone!

Article posted June 21, 2014 at 05:30 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 16

MissGauleysclass's Class Trip Part 1 album on Photobucket

Today was our class trip to Regina. As part of our Social Studies course, we went to the RCMP Heritage Centre. The history of the RCMP is tightly linked to the history of Canada. After lunch, we went to the 4Cats Art Studio. Our first project was in the style of Jackson Pollock. As you can see, we had a lot of fun!

MissGauleysclass's Weather Instruments album on Photobucket

One of our projects in our Science unit was to make a weather instrument. We made anemometers to measure wind speed, rain gauges, and barometers.

Today was Awards Day. Congratulations to everyone who received a school pin for collecting enough participation points! Thank you to the Borderland Music Festival Committee for giving up participation medallions too!

Article posted June 13, 2014 at 03:47 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 460

MissGauleysclass's May and June album on Photobucket

Things have been busy, so I am a bit behind updating our blog! Here are some of the things we've been doing. In Science, we've worked on a unit about forces and simple machines. We made different kinds of levers and pulley systems. In Art, we made sculptures and pictures in the style of Barbara Reid. We've had Skittles dress-up day (pink for us), Jersey Day, and red to honour fallen RCMP officers. Only a few more days to go until summer holidays!

Our school was very lucky to have Eric Wilson come to visit today. He told us about his life, how he started writing, his research, and his successes in writing 22 mysteries (so far). Many years ago, he spent a lot of time trying to write stories that were rejected, but he never gave up and tried to learn how to improve. We were able to ask him many questions, and he answered them very well and with patience. We could tell that he used to be a teacher because he presented his information so well and dealt with the audience with ease. We were able to answer questions about his life and his work to receive prizes. We found it interesting to see the covers of his books from different countries. We were honoured to meet him.

We just finished our wonderful spring break, and now we are back for our last few weeks of school. Spring is probably here, as the robins, doves, and meadowlarks are back, gophers are running around, and crocuses have bloomed.

We have made spring break riddle poems to let you know what we did during our break. Please check out our blogs to see what we were up to.

I am like a leathered pumpkin

that is taken to court

where professional giants dribble.

I am bounced

and shot

but I make two points with a key.

What am I?

My riddle poem is about a basketball. During my spring break, my niece and I went to see the Harlem Globetrotters while they were in Regina. They have some pretty fancy passing moves, and can shoot baskets from just about anywhere on the court and just about any WAY you can think of.

What did you do on your spring break?

At last the weather is warming up! Besides having projects due and tests to write, we had some fun activities at school. We had a mini-Olympics for K-6. We had two dress up days - PJ Day, and Dress as a Favourite Story Character Day. Jump Rope for Heart saw K-12 in the gym for an hour of heart-pumping activities. Thank you everyone who donated to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Our class raised $586.50.

Our 100th Day of School happened on the same day as an early dismissal. So, along with having Keyboarding, Phys. Ed., and a quiz, we fit in a few activities for our 100th Day.

We played a Lotto game. In a grid, we listed nine numbers from 2-100. There were requirements for the numbers chosen. If the numbers were multiples of a drawn card (2-13), then we could cross it off. The winners had to have a row of 3.

We had a couple 100 second snack breaks. We did 100 exercises. We raced to do multiplication facts for 100 seconds.

Lastly, we played "Yoink". This is a race to write all the numbers to 100, but, unfortunately, people keep "yoinking" the pencil away from you.

Tomorrow, we begin counting down the days of school on a new grid.

Another busy month! We had a cupcake sale to help raise money for our class trip to the RCMP Heritage Centre. Today was Family Literacy Day, so we had a school wide activity in the gym. We were partnered with a younger student. We read a story about Rainbow Fish, and made a rainbow fish for a mural.

We went searching for some other classes to exchange comments with. We happened upon Mrs. Clay's class in El Paso, Texas. The students had written Bio Poems. We read a few, and then sent comments to the students with which we connected (hopefully they will comment back to us). We thought the Bio Poems were a good idea, so we made our own poems. Please check them out, and feel free to comment on our writing.

5-6 2009/2010
5-6 2010/2011
5-6 2011/2012
5-6 2012/2013
5-6 2013/2014
K-2 2006/2007
K-2 2007/2008
K-2 2008/2009

This is my 24th year of teaching. This blog began as a K, 1, and 2 class. We have jumped ahead, and are now a Grades 5 and 6 class. I hope you enjoy looking at some of the things we are doing in our corner of the world.