Copyright (c) 2014 by lblack Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
lblack -- Blogmeister

-

Great Kids

We are a 4th grade classroom at Naches Valley Intermediate in Washington State, USA. Our class is learning with technology! We like to video conference with other classrooms. Email: lblack@nvsd.org

by lblack

Mr. Smith's Class Blog
Mr. Ahlness' Class Blog
Mrs. Hayes' Class Blog
Mrs. Hinshaw's Class Blog
Mrs. Douthard's Class Blog
Mrs. Knight's Class Blog
Ms. Namata's Wiki page
Ms. Griffin's Class Blog
Mrs. Lowe's Class Blog
Mr. Greenburg's class blog
Voices of the World Wiki
Mr. Ferguson's Blog

Title: Assignment 3: Animal Report (01/28/11)
Description: You have researched an unusual animal from Australia. Now it is your turn to tell us what you know. Be sure to write your own sentences and use your best SCPS. You can attach a video or picture when you are done.

Article posted February 10, 2011 at 01:18 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 152

Wombats are amazing creatures.  Wombats have big claws and strong legs. Common wombats eat snow tussocks, northern hairy nose wombats eat spear grass, southern hairy nose wombats eat leafs, grass, and tree bark. Wombats live in burrows in Victoria and Tasmania in Australia. Its enemies are cats and small lizards. It walks weird around the ground but it can run 25 mph (40 km) that is fast! The wombat is a mammal it is very strong. The wombat is very fast. I like the wombat and if you’ve seen one you will think so to.

Article posted February 2, 2011 at 08:47 AM GMT-8 • comment (2) • Reads 122

The Red Kangaroo is the worlds larges marsupial. The Red Kangaroo can jump up to 30 feet. The female weighs up to 160 pounds. Its front paws clean and groom. It has one baby at a time. Its large tail helps it keep its balance. Males can grow as big as 2 mattresses. The males weigh up to 198 pounds. The female is smaller and blue-gray color. When a kangaroo is born it is blind and has no fur. Red Kangaroos eat grass, leaves and tree bark. Kangaroos fight by standing on their back legs and attacking with their front. Kangaroos move in groups of 10-12 up to 100. When moving quickly the Red Kangaroo tuck his/her front legs into their chest. Kangaroos hop instead of running or walking. Kangaroos have a big thick tail. Females have a pouch for their young.The Red Kangaroo is the worlds larges marsupial. The Red Kangaroo can jump up to 30 feet. The female weighs up to 160 pounds. Its front paws clean and groom. It has one baby at a time. Its large tail helps it keep its balance. Males can grow as big as 2 mattresses. The males weigh up to 198 pounds. The female is smaller and blue-gray color. When a kangaroo is born it is blind and has no fur. Red Kangaroos eat grass, leaves and tree bark. Kangaroos fight by standing on their back legs and attacking with their front. Kangaroos move in groups of 10-12 up to 100. When moving quickly the Red Kangaroo tuck his/her front legs into their chest. Kangaroos hop instead of running or walking. Kangaroos have a big thick tail. Females have a pouch for their young.The Red Kangaroo is the worlds larges marsupial. The Red Kangaroo can jump up to 30 feet. The female weighs up to 160 pounds. Its front paws clean and groom. It has one baby at a time. Its large tail helps it keep its balance. Males can grow as big as 2 mattresses. The males weigh up to 198 pounds. The female is smaller and blue-gray color. When a kangaroo is born it is blind and has no fur. Red Kangaroos eat grass, leaves and tree bark. Kangaroos fight by standing on their back legs and attacking with their front. Kangaroos move in groups of 10-12 up to 100. When moving quickly the Red Kangaroo tuck his/her front legs into their chest. Kangaroos hop instead of running or walking. Kangaroos have a big thick tail. Females have a pouch for their young.

Article posted February 2, 2011 at 08:29 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 55

The Bowerbird is a unusual bird .The Bowerbird can be very colorful. It also can be plain black .The Bowerbird is located in Australia and New Ginea. The bird lives in forests and swamps. The female Bowerbird makes a nest to raise babies .The male Bowerbird makes a structure called a bower .He makes it out of leaves, straw, vines, and grass .He decorates the bower with flowers and berries for the female. It takes about ten months. That is how the Bowerbird got it's name.

Article posted February 2, 2011 at 08:41 AM GMT-8 • comment (2) • Reads 52

Frilled lizard eats ants, spiders, and termites. They live in the tropics, woodlands, Australia, and spend most of their time in trees. The lizards can grow up to 3 feet! They also have a weird yellowed color mouth. When they get scared they spread the loose skin around its neck open. When the lizards dose that it frightens its enemies. They can also weigh up to 1.1 pounds. The female lay’s up to 8-15 tiny eggs and lives up to 20 years. Its frill looks like leafs. The frilled lizard is tan, black, yellow, brown, and white. The frilled lizard can also be a lot of different colors. when the frilled lizard pops its frill out he also opens his mouth as wide as he can. Then he makes a hissing sound. The frilled lizard walks weird because is tail is two feet long. Did you know frilled lizards are poisonous? The frilled lizard has such a long tail because it is used for whipping its enemies and for holding on to trees. It is also used for holding on to tree branches. Where ever the frilled lizard lives he is camouflaged by his surroundings. The frilled lizards back legs are long and his front legs are short like a kangaroo. He has sharp nails in the back feet and shorter nails in the front feet. He is also very fast.

Article posted January 27, 2011 at 08:03 PM GMT-8 • comment (1) • Reads 64

Koalas

Koalas live in Eastern Australia they live about 10-20 year. When a baby Koala is born it is called a Joey. A newborn Koala is the size of the jelly bean, it is blind, naked, and ear less. The Koala as to stay in tit mothers pouch for about 7 moths. These plump, fuzzy, Koalas smell like cough drops. The reason they smell like cough drops is because of the oil in the eucalyptus leaves. The Koala is a grayish color, White on their chest inner arms, and ears. They have furry ear and leathery noses. The Koala loves the eucalyptus they even eat them at night! They don’t dirk much water they get most of there moisture from the eucalyptus leaves. In, fact each Koala eats about 2.5 pounds of the eucalyptus leaves a day a lot for there size. The Koala also stores eucalyptus leaves in there pouches and there checks. During the day a Koala sleeps for up to 18 hours. The Koala comes down from it’s tree for shade but it is dangerous because humans are there predators. The Koala need a lot of space about 100 trees per animal. In, fact the Koala is related to the kangaroo. In fact in 1927 600,000 Koalas got killed by humans so now they are protected animals.

Article posted February 10, 2011 at 01:15 PM GMT-8 • comment (3) • Reads 46

Koalas are called bears, but they actually not bears at all. They are marsupial mammals. Which means they have pouches. Koala’s carry their babies in their pouch until they are old enough to walk, which is usually about 6 months old. When Joey’s are born they are as small as a jelly bean they are also blind and have no ear’s when they are born. Mamma’s are only pregnant with the babies for about 35 day’s. The babies then most of their developing in their mammy’s pouches. Babies stay pretty close to their mom’s until they are about 1 years old. The baby Koala’s are called “joey’s”. Koala’s come in many different color’s , but mostly gray and white, black and white. Koala’s are distinctive to Eastern Australia where there are lots of elcalyputs trees , which they truly love. Koala’s sleep a lot during the day and eat their leaves at night. They really don’t drink much water, as the leaves are pretty much all they eat. A koala eat’s a lot of eucalyptus leaves for their size, and they even store leaves in their pouches and cheeks for snacks later. They eat so much of these leaves that they start to smell like a kind of smelling cough drops. They also eat other foods such as wattles, tea tree, paper bark and pine species. It is not a daily part of their diet. One koala need lots of space, about 100 trees. This is beginning to be a problem for Australia, because it’s forests are shrinking. Koala’s sleep hugging trees and have extra fur and cushion. They usually sleep in nooks and crannies of the tree. Koala’s usually never go to the ground unless they leave to another tree. Koala’s also have sharp fingers and toes like us. Their front paws look like it has thumbs and it’s back paws only have one thumb.

Article posted February 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM GMT-8 • comment (1) • Reads 68

Have you seen a Glaucomys Sabrinus, which is another way to say “Flying Squirrel?” Flying Squirrels can grow as high as a foot and a half. When baby Flying Squirrels are born, they can be as tiny as a 9 year olds palm. A flying Squirrel has giant eyes because they need to see where they land and to catch small meals. Some of the Flying Squirrels main foods are fungus, staples (bug), and bird eggs. This is the Sciurus Flying Squirrel. The Flying Squirrel has an ability to glide from tree to tree because they have membranes connect from their hands to feet. They play hide and go seek. They are capable of sprinting fast. Some predators of them are snakes raccoons, fishers, and more. They live in Red Spruce forests, but the bad thing is later as their home gets old it succumbs into acid rain because, the rising temperatures the it is the faster it melts into acid rain. The Flying Squirrels can also climb when their wings are out and if you pay close attention to a Flying Squirrel gliding tree to tree in the air you can see that while they are gliding their tails look puffy. Be careful a Flying Squirrel might catch you on their radar with their big eyes!!

Article posted February 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 64

Koala’s live in Eastern Austraila. They way 20 lbs also Koalas can grow to be 20 years old. Koalas sleep in tall trees. Koalas can be 70-90 cm long and (27-36) in long. Koalas sleep 18-20 hours a day. They also have oil in their fur. The Koalas are thretend by their pretitors. Koalas get drosey when they are sitting in the top of the tree. Koalas are aggressive during breeting season to protect their babies. The Koalas are a mammal and they have sharp claws. Koalas look like a treddy bear they really are not one though. Koalas have a diet called Herbivore and they don’t like to drink water when they are babies. Koalas love to eat leques when they are hungry. Koalas are plump because they eat lots of leaves. Koalas are very cuddley with their babies. Why do Koalas lie to sleep in the top of tall trees? What time of the day do Koalas like to sleep during the day? When Do Koalas hunt for their food. What kind of wilderness do they live in?

Article posted February 10, 2011 at 01:55 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 53

Koalas are cute and soft but koalas aren’t nice sometimes koalas have sharp claws with two opposite thumbs koalas also have different colors like brown, black and gray. They also have kids when the mother koala gives birth they have to care the baby koala on it’s back tell the baby koalas can walk, the things they eat are eucalyptus leaves and sometimes it eats soil, it also likes to eat bambo trees, they like to clime trees to sleep they sleep up to 18 hours and sometimes it sleeps tell 22 hours. Is a koala a bear people may think it looks like a bear but it isn’t it is a marsupial mammal the koala does look like a bear but it isn’t. Koalas like to be in woodland islands.

.2013-14

My name is Lani Black and I teach 4th grade in Naches Valley, Washington State, U.S.A.