Copyright (c) 2014 by Michelle Huseman Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Michelle Huseman -- Blogmeister

Blogs discussing Science ideas, procedures and outcomes will be posted here.

by Michelle Huseman

Mr. Smith's Bloggers
Eugene Field School

Title: Hail Storm (05/15/08)
Description: On Tuesday May 13 the Hannibal area experienced a hail storm. My class was in the cafeteria/gym when the storm started. We then watched from the hallway as the hail got bigger and louder.

Some of the hailstones were caught in a bucket and we had the chance to observe them later after we got back to our classroom.

They have written about the experience. Can you "hear" the sounds of the hail on the roof?

There were big and small hailstones. They came down very hard. We heard it. It was louder in the gym because it has medal on top. We didn't hear it at all upstairs. It is formed by rain.

I think it was loud in the cafeteria because the roof was metal. The hail was as big as a nickel or halfdollar. Hail first is rain then when it is cold the water freezes.

There was a hail storm today. It was louder in the lunch room because the lunch room is seperate from the building and it had more speed as it came down. So since the lunch room is closer to the ground it hit harder.

It all started when we were at lunch recess.It started when we were watching a movie,and all of a sudden we heard hail hitting the roof and it got louder. I think it got louder because the gym is bigger and taller.

Then Ms.Huseman caught some hail out the front door.I don't know how hail is formed.

When we got upstairs we asked Mr. Ridout if we can see the hailstones. Then Lonnesha brought them up. They were big.

We were having lunch recess and something started pounding on the roof,it was nickel size hail. We went to look out the door and saw hail.It was big. It was louder in the gym because the roof is metal and the other roofs are not. Hail is formed by gases that are in the sky and frozen rain.

Crack! Thump! In the gym we heard the thunderstorm. Then it started hailing. It was very loud. It was very loud in the gym. But when we left it got quiet. The gym had a metal roof than any other part of the school.

It was hailing outside. In the gym on the roof it is like the hail was hitting a tincan, and the hail can as big as a golfball.

Article posted May 16, 2008 at 08:26 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 92

It was louder in the gym because it has a tin roof. It was like falling ice cubes. They were about the size of half dollars.

The hail made a lot of noise down stairs because I think it because the gym is bigger and the up stairs is smaller. That's what I think. I think the hail is made of frozen ice.

What I saw down stairs was a lot of hail coming down. It looked like it was coming out of the sky. It made a big pond. It was cool coming out of the sky. I like it a lot it was very cool.

Mrs. Hinton Science
Mrs. McGuire Science
Mrs. Oleksy Science
Mrs. Swisher Science