Copyright (c) 2014 by Evereth Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Evereth -- Blogmeister

Mr. Crosby's Alumni Bloggers

We are a 6th grade class that is piloting a 1:1 laptop program using MacBook computers. We blog, Skype, make Wiki pages, produce digital videos, podcasts and vidcasts.

by Evereth

teacher: Brian Crosby

Last Three Years 06/03/09
My System 05/12/09
Will Richardson 04/23/09
Pluto 03/31/09
Super Cat 03/27/09
New Zealand 03/18/09
Skyping Argentina 03/17/09
The Softball Accident 02/27/09
My Experience Blogging 02/13/09
The Sun 02/12/09

Space Lesson

Today we learned about space. We started talking about light. Light is the fastest thing we know. It travels at 186,000 miles per second. Light is so fast that it can travel around the Earth seven times in a second. It can go to the moon in less than two seconds.

I also learned that the next closest star is one called Alpha Centauri. It would take over four years for light to get to Alpha Centauri. At 18,000 miles per hour it would still take 158,000 years to get to Alpha Centauri.

Then I learned about the Sun and that it is a star. It takes light over eight minutes to get to the sun. The Sun is really a ball of burning gas. When you look up into the sky you see where the sun was eight minutes ago.

Lastly I saw a video about planets and stars. Pluto is the smallest planet. Saturn and Jupiter make the other planets look like a cookie crumb. And then the Sun made the planets look like ants. Other stars make the Sun look like a a little piece of dirt. That is what I learned today.

Article posted February 25, 2008 at 02:04 PM • comment (1) • Reads 73 • see all articles