Copyright (c) 2014 by Jazmin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jazmin -- Blogmeister

Mr. Crosby's Alumni Bloggers

We are a 6th grade class that is piloting a 1:1 laptop program using MacBook computers. We blog, Skype, make Wiki pages, produce digital videos, podcasts and vidcasts.

by Jazmin

teacher: Brian Crosby

April, 22, 2009 we Skyped with a man named Will Richardson. We found out that he is a vegetarian. Then he brought out a book that his wife wrote and it had over 400 facts about the Earth. He told us three facts from out of the book. One was that it takes about 2,500 pounds of water to make 1 pound of beef. Another one was that 95% of corn and oats are feed to animals. Every once in a while he misses eating meat. He also said that you can make very good vegetarian food. Some of the things they eat are Mexican food Chines and more but I wasn’t able to write them down. Most of there house doesn’t run on electricity. He also speaks Swedish. Then it was time to go we said bye and logged off.

Article posted April 1, 2009 at 09:50 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 63

The interesting thing about Pluto is that he is no longer a planet. Pluto is the second largest known Dwarf planet we know of. Pluto was discovered in 1930 on Feb. 18th. Pluto is 39 time as far from the sun then we are. Pluto is a cold planet. Earth is considered a soccer ball and Pluto is considered as ping pong ball. But the energetic thing about Pluto is that he is no longer a planet.

The fabulous thing about the Moon is that it has 7 phases. Here are the phases Crescent Moon, First Quarter Moon, Waxing Gibbous Moon, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous Moon, Last Quarter Moon, Old Moon. The distance from Earth to the Moon is 384.403km. The Moon is made out of rock. There is gravity and oxygen on the Moon. But the amazing thing about the Moon is that is has 7 phases.

Today we Skyped a class in Argentina. The first thing we did when we logged on to Skype with the class in Argentina was our presentation about Sparks, Nevada. I thought that our presentation was good. We told them things about us and things about were we live. Then it got to the question part. They asked us how old we are and I went up to the laptop and told them that half of our class is 12 and the other half of the class is 11.

We asked them how old they are they told us 10. Then we asked them what grade they were in they told us 5 grade. Cynthia a girl in my class asked how many languages do they speak? They told us that 12 students speak english 25 students speak Spanish and all the students speak German. It was also there first time doing a video conference. Then we asked a couple more questions like what is there favorite food? They said pizza. One of the other questions was what is there favorite sport. They told us soccer. Then it was time for us to go we all said bye and then we logged off of Skype.

Today on March, 17, 2009, we Skyped with a class in Appleby located in Nelson, New Zealand. The first thing we did was our class presentation about Sparks, Nevada. Then right after that we sang a little old song called Home Means Nevada. Then they clapped for us. Then they sang there song. We cheered for them. After that we had started to ask questions back and forth. One of the questions was were we lived? Jerico told them that we lived in Sparks, Nevada. Then we asked them what was the population of Nelson, New Zealand? They told us that it is 42,000. Then they asked us and we said 89,449. Then a girl came up to the screen and asked my class how many students we have in the whole school and none of my classmates new the answers. So we asked Mr. Crosby and he told us for someone to go up and say 510. After someone answered there answers they told us that they only have a 100 kids in Appleby School. We said that we have 410 more kids then them. Some of there favorite games are rockbee, soccer, cricket. Some of there favorite foods are chicken (chooks). Chooks is chicken in New Zealand. After a couple of question they asked us how we got to school we told them by car and scooter. Then they told us some of the ways they get to school like a bus and a car. Then we had one more way to get to school which was a skateboard and so a kid In my class named Luis had a skateboard. So we told him to grave it and show them and when they saw it they all AWED!!! They also go to school at the same time as us and get out at the same time as us. The cool thing about our school is that we got to school for 180 days a year and they only go 200 days a year. The It was time to go so we said bye and they said bye back to us and we logged off of Skype and here I’m righting the story.

Starting on March, 2, 2009 we started reading a book called Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone. we have gotten to chapter five so far. I will be writing down a least three good important things that have happened in all five chapters.

In chapter one, one of the important things that happened was that the Dursleys like everything to be the same. Every thing that day was strange and unusual. Like that day Mr. Dursley saw a cat reading a news paper and standing at the end of Privet Drive. Later on in chapter one we find out that the cat in the story was really Professer Mc Gonagall. At the end of that chapter Hagrid came on a motorcycle with Harry on his lap (Harry was a baby). Then Hagrid and Mc Gonagall put Harry on the steps of the Dursleys on number four, Privet Drive.

In chapter two one of the important things was that It was Dudley’s B-Day and they were going to celebrate it by going to the zoo. That morning on Dudley’s B-Day they got a call from Harrys baby sitter saying that she was not going to be able to watch Harry while they take Dudley and his friend Piers to the zoo. Then Mr. and Mrs. Dursley started talking about other people baby sitting Harry. They couldn’t think of any one so they had no choice but to take him (It was Harrys first trip to go any were fun in his whole life). When they got to the zoo then started to look around and then Dudley and his friend Piers wanted to go see the reptiles. Dudley had called them to go over and see one of the biggest snake in there it was the Boa Constrictor, from Brazil. Then all of a sudden the glass disappeared and the Boa snake slithered across Dudley and his friend Piers.

In chapter three Harry got a letter and then got even more letters. All the letters that were coming were coming out of no were. Then they moved to a hut for a little bit. Then in chapter four Hagrid came and told Harry that he was a wizard. Harry was supprised that he was a wizard. Then we found out that is was also Harrys B-Day. At the end of that chapter Hagrid started to tell Harry how he wanted Harry to come to Hogwarts (Hogwarts is a school for wizards).

The last Chapter we got to was chapter five and we learned that Harry did go to Hogwarts but before they did they had to pick up some supply's like three sets of plain robes (black), one plain pointed hat (black) for day wear, one pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar), One winter cloak ( black, silver fastening). Then they had gotten a Snow Owl. Also they had to go to the bank to get out some money and some thing for Dumbledore. So that is a summery of what we have read so far.

I Just Like Blogging

This is my third year of blogging and I just love it. My favorite thing about blogging is that I always get to see how many people all over the word read my blog post in one day. I mean it is just so amazing. I also love just being able to right my own expressions and in my own words. One of the other things I like about blogging is that you get to talk with people all over the word.

Talking To Kids All Over The World

Talking to kids and teachers all over the word is the best. Why you ask. Well lets just say that when you talk to kids all over the word you are able to chat with them and tell them all about your cutler and they can tell you about theirs. You also could ask them what time it is down or up there and see what the different is from here to there.

How Does It Help You

Blogging is another way to teach you how to read and to spell. One way that it helps you learn to read is because when you check it you read fluently. Another way that you learn to spell is that you see your mistake and you pronounce the word.

Thankful-Remix

I am thankful for my iPod because it was a lot of money and because i should be thankful that i have one unlike other little kids that don’t. Another reason I’m thankful for my iPod is because when ever I go on trips or just want to listen to music now I have something to listen to. I’m also thankful for my tv because I at least have something to watch when I get bored. I should also be thankful for my tv is because when I get mad I have something to calm me down. I’m also thankful for all my electronic stuff like my tv, iPod, cell phone and what ever else I have that I can’t think of on the top of my head.

The important thing about Valentine's Day is that it is on February 14. It is also a day where two lovers send one another cards, flowers and candy, Valentine's Day was originally named after two among the numerous early christians named Valentine. But the important thing about Valentine's Day is that it is on February 14.

The important thing about George Washington is that he was our first president. He grew up on a plantation, he only completed seven or eight years of school, his favorite subject was arithmetic, also he won the Revolutionary War, he is on the quarter and dollar bill. But the important thing about George Washington is that he was our first president.