Copyright (c) 2014 by Brian Crosby Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Brian Crosby -- Blogmeister

Collaborative Class Blog-

Mr. Crosby's Class

We are a 6th grade class that is piloting a 1:1 laptop program using MacBook computers. We blog, Skype, make Wiki pages, produce digital videos, podcasts and vidcasts.

by Brian Crosby

Our Class Wiki Page
Our "Animal Ark Wiki Page Project"
Our "Inclusion" Video
Blogs We Read
Mighty Writers - 3rd Grade Seattle, Washington, USA
Tell The Raven - 6th Grade - Alaska
Denton Dynamos Discussions - Long Island, New York

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 01:38 PM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 22146

We've been working with our collaborators in New York on research for our writing project. We will take the point of view of the Aztecs and they will take the point of view of Cortes and the Spaniards. This week we will begin writing the actual stories and getting ideas for our illustrations. Stories are due in the Google Docs by Friday. So work hard and be creative!

Article posted May 4, 2011 at 05:06 PM GMT-8 • comment (12) • Reads 1015

We are sending up a high altitude balloon 100,000 feet. We are going to attach a green balloon, a blue balloon, an orange balloon and a Cheetos bag on our payloads. The orange one is full of air, the blue one is half full, and the green party balloon is filled about ¼ of the way with air. We are also attaching a Cheetos bag - snack size on the top of the payload. Next, we will send the payload up over 100,000 feet on a high altitude balloon. What do you think will happen to the balloons and chip bag? Leave a comment on this post or one of the student posts telling what you think will happen to each balloon and the chip bag. What effect will going up almost 20 miles high have? We will post photos later to show what happened. LEAVE YOUR ANSWER (HYPOTHESIS) by clicking on the "ADD A COMMENT" tab after the photos below.

Article posted April 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM GMT-8 • comment (4) • Reads 86

Hi Guys! We got to go down and watch the astronauts drive by in their special van on their way to the launchpad (I have video of it). Before their van came by a helicopter popped up into the sky and the person from NASA standing next to me said, "Here they come, when the helicopter rises up you know the "Astrovan" is on the way."

I got my cameras going and as the helicopter got closer to us (it was flying straight above the van) you could see soldiers sitting in it with their legs hanging out watching for any trouble. Next security vehicles came swarming in, and they were quickly followed by the astronauts. We all stated cheering and yelling.

Then their van stopped for a few minutes. Next it turned around and went back. The NASA person standing next to me had gotten a text message on her phone just before that and she showed it to me. It said that NASA engineers had discovered a problem with a heater that keeps the rocket fuel from freezing in space. Next we heard that they couldn't fix the problem right away and the space shuttle would NOT launch today.

We were all disappointed. Many people around me let out loud "OH NO's!" and others asked what was going on. You could see all the reporters and TV crews begin to scramble to get the story out.

So in the span of just a minute we all went from being excited and cheering and anticipating, to deep disappointment that this incredible experience was not going to happen today. We have since found out that it will be at least 3 days before it launches. Maybe it will launch on Wednesday when we launch our balloon!

Things can happen that disappoint us. Sometimes that disappointment can make us angry, frustrated and even fearful. But in my experience that disappointment often changes later. Things happen and we get to do what we missed later. Or because we couldn't get that or do that we get to do something else instead. Think about a time that you were disappointed about something you couldn't get or do, but later things worked out or you got over it. Write about a time that you were disappointed. Tell what you were disappointed about and what happened afterwards. 

I am disappointed, but I get to come back to school on Monday and work with you to launch a balloon into near space. That makes my disappoint much easier to take. I'll post photos I took of the helicopter and Astrovan and more. And I will probably blog here some more today.

Mr. Crosby

Article posted April 29, 2011 at 08:07 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 143

We have had problems here with the internet, so I'm leaving this assignment now while I can get on. I haven't seen many of yesterday's writing showing up on the blog, so start out by finishing up yesterday's pieces so we can get them posted. More people than usual might be looking at them, so make sure your writing is your best!

Also, I am still uploading photos and video clips to Flickr, so look at those when you get done with your writing. Channel 4 interviewed me this morning over my phone because the internet here was not working well, and I mentioned you were writing things I was sending you. If I can still get on the internet later, I will definitely post new things here. I did get a good picture of the spider they are sending up (they brought it back for us to look at - yeah!!!), and I will put that up on Flickr when I can.

Bye for now!

Article posted April 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM GMT-8 • comment (1) • Reads 131

Think about the video clips we've seen about space travel. How it looked, what the astronauts wore- helmets, suits - how nervous they looked. Remember how they shook from the power of the rocket engines. What being weightlessness looked like. Now write a story about what it would be like to launch into space. Describe getting in your suit. How nervous you feel. Getting in the space shuttle. How you feel just before launch, during launch, and when you finally get to space. Be very descriptive, check your work and make it fun for others to read!

Article posted April 28, 2011 at 08:43 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 145

Class - here is the link straight to all the photos I'm taking. Note some of them I'm writing titles and descriptions to explain what they are.

Article posted April 28, 2011 at 07:28 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 102

So any ideas about what that building is used for? Well, your answer is your Read to Learn assignment for Thursday. Click here to find your answer and do your Read to Learn writing piece.  Back later!

Article posted April 28, 2011 at 06:57 AM GMT-8 • comment (8) • Reads 64

Hi! I made it here finally after 16 hours of flying and driving! This was the first picture I took. What do you think this building is used for? I won't tell you yet ... I'll give you time to think about it and I'll tell you later. I just got here and I'm trying to figure what we are dong today. I'll check back soon with your "Read to Learn" assignment. Be good! Check Flickr for other photos I post!

Bye for now,

Mr. Crosby

Article posted April 27, 2011 at 07:31 AM GMT-8 • comment (1) • Reads 98

After school today I fly off to Cape Canaveral, Florida, to meet some astronauts, scientists and other interesting people. While there I plan to send you photos and video through our Flickr page and communicate with you through this blog. To practice that a little I'm giving you today's "Read To Learn" assignment here. 

When the Endeavour Space Shuttle goes to space it will visit the International Space Station. Learn about the ISS here. Cut and paste important sentences out of the text and then re-write in your own words. "See you here Thursday from "The Cape!"

Article posted March 14, 2011 at 10:37 AM GMT-8 • comment • Reads 128

Think about a time someone helped you with something that was hard to do. It might have been hard because you didn't know how, or you weren't big enough or strong enough, or you were too scared to try, or you were hurt or stuck. Tell what you needed help with and why you needed help with it. Also tell who helped you and how they helped you. Tell how you felt before you got help, while you were being helped AND after you were helped. Make sure you describe things and show don't tell the story … help us feel what you felt and see what you saw.

A) Mr. Crosby's Current Class
Mr. Crosby's Alumni Bloggers

We are a 6th grade class that is piloting a 1:1 laptop program using MacBook computers. We blog, Skype, make Wiki pages, produce digital videos, podcasts and vidcasts. In short - we are a Collaborative Class. Locations of visitors to this page