Copyright (c) 2014 by Mr. Seufert Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mr. Seufert -- Blogmeister

Seufert's Scholars-

Mr. Seufert's 5th Grade Class

Technology is Our Tool!

by Mr. Seufert

Mr. Seufert's Class Wiki
Mr Seufert's Class Website
Learning.com - EasyTech
delicious Bookmarks
Miss Gianquitti's Class Blog
Dr. Green PTA
Edmodo
VoiceThread

gumbyMost of our students have put the long arduous process of making an animation short using stop motion behind them. One of our students can't seem to get enough of it. He brought in his own webcam and began working on this short during art. It looked so interesting that we gave him the rest of the day to finish the animated short. What follows is his creation, and his alone. Given the right environment and proper motivation, He has been able to accomplish some amazing things! Also, Don't forget to check out the other stop motion animation shorts the rest of our art class created. They can be found in an earlier bog post.

Charlie's Video from Mr. Seufert's Class on Vimeo.

Over the past several weeks, our art class has been putting together stop motion animation shorts. We used a free software proggram developed especially for students. It is called SAM Animation. I encourage you to give it a try if you are interested. Each group of students was easily able to plan out their short and then take all the individual pictures. Some groups spent some time on editing their sound track as well. They were all very excited to finish and share their finished product. Below are the completed stop motion animation shorts our art class created:

Bad Luck from Mr. Seufert's Class on Vimeo.

Having a very bad day!!

The End from Mr. Seufert's Class on Vimeo.

The day the Aliens took over Earth!

Future Tower from Mr. Seufert's Class on Vimeo.

Crazy Soccer from Mr. Seufert's Class on Vimeo.

picI hope that all of you have been able to keep up with the pace of the year. Things will be going by very quickly this year. As long as you keep working hard and doing your best, you will be successful!

We will be using your blogs to share classroom activities and other projects with the world wide web. You will also have the opportunity to share with everyone things that are going on in your everyday life. I hope you all enjoy telling the world about yourself and what you have learned! Remember: Technology Is Our Tool!

computerOur class has been working hard to get their Science Vocabulary Projects finished by this week. Most of the students have already posted their projects to their own blog. The rest I hope to have posted over the weekend, or early next week. Please take some time and listen to their projects and leave comments.

Their project was to define and describe a science vocabulary word. They were given a Life Science word and some parameters to follow. Everything else is their creation. We are planning to use the complete compilation of words to help with our vocabulary comprehension. We hope that it will be a great benefit for the Science TAKS test we are taking in a couple of weeks. You can also find a list of other vocabulary words from past years on our Class Wiki. Let us know what you think!

Article posted March 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 33

Here is a short little clip some 5th grade students put together about the Lewis and Clark explorations. You will need to know our password to view the video. I am working on trying to open up the video so it can be shared with everyone!

Lewis & Clark from Mr. Seufert's Class on Vimeo.

Article posted November 3, 2009 at 01:46 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 43

This month, Dr. Green started an afterschool robotics club. We will be meeting twice a week to experiment with different types of robots and get them to accompish different tasks. There are teams of four students that will be working together and learning how to build and program their robots. Our goal will be to enter AND win a competition on December 12th. That's a lot to get done in only SIX WEEKS! There are two main categories for the competition. They are Invention and Arena.

The Invention category is what it sounds like: A team of students will haverobot to invent a robot that can accomplish some sort of human task. They will need to build and program the robot. A display board needs to be put together as well as a pamphlet to advertise and sell their invention. Their presentation will be judged and scored by others during the competition.

In the Arena category, the team of students will build and program a robot sensorsthat can complete an obstical course. There will be points awarded for programming the robot to complete specific tasks. They will have only three minutes to get as many points as possible. The team will be competeing against another team in head-to-head fashion on a large game board. The team with the most points after the three minute time limit wins the competition.

We have a lot of work ahead of us in the coming weeks. I hope to be able to keep everybody up to date on our team's progress. If we can get everything put together by December, we have a good chance of winning. The state competition will take place in May. We hope to be there!

If you are interested in learning more about this robotics competition, you can learn about them on these websites:

• To learn about the LEGO kits we will be using to build and program into robots, go the the Mindstorm NTX website.

• To get info on the competition from Texas Computer Education Association, go to the TCEA contest website.

• You can get the rules and regulations for the Invention competition, find them on this TCEA website.

• The Arena rules and regulations can be found here.

keyboardWe now have a new group of fifth grade students that are ready and eager to start sharing their learning with the world. Expect to see post from everyone in the nex couple of weeks. Check back ofter to see what our students are experiencing in the classroom.

raiders

Those of you who are continuing to blog from beyond our Dr. Green walls, you have been moved to Green Alumni. I really appreciate your efforts to continue blogging. Our new fifth graders can learn lots about blogging from all of you. It would be great if all of you could give a visit to the new students pages and give them help and advice.

Article posted August 19, 2009 at 03:19 AM GMT0 • comment (8) • Reads 34

schoolI've been back at work for a couple of days now. I'm trying to get into school mode before the students show up. It hasn't been easy to get up so early in the morning. Dr. Green's open house will be this Friday. I look forward to meeting all the new students and their parents. I hope that everyone's first day back to school next Monday is great! I have been happy to see many of you continuing to blog over the summer. I have enjoyed hearing about your great summer experiences - and some of your sad ones too (sorry to hear about your bunny, MC).

sad faceUnfortunately, it's time for me to move your blogs to the Alumni section. I plan on transferring your blogs over by the beginning of next week. All of you will be able to continue sharing your thoughts and experiences, just from a different location. I will only be transferring the students that have been blogging through the summer. All other accounts will be canceled.

If anyone knows of a student who wants to keep their blog but hasn't been using it through the summer, spread the word and have them contact me at Dr. Green. This applies to all alumni from Dr. Green! If any former students want to restart their blog account, simply send me an email with your El Paso I.S.D. student ID number and I will set up a new account for them. You can also send me any questions you might have about blogging. My email is: hjseufer@episd.org

I look forward to hearing about all your new experiences from middle school. Keep blogging!

Article posted July 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 34

road tripI took a trip to visit my family up in Missouri earlier this month. We were only there over the weekend, but we squeezed in lots of fun activities. The first day there, we went to see a professional baseball game. It was the first time we had gone to one as a family. It was lots of fun - and our team WON! Later that night we shot fireworks off at a cousins house. There were a couple of close calls, but no one got hurt.

zooThe next day, we got up early and headed to the Omaha Zoo. I am not a big fan of viewing animals in captivity, but this zoo was fantastic. They had a great aquarium. There was one section where you walk through a tunnel and all the fish are swimming around you! Really cool. I wish we could take a school field trip to something like this. We spent the entire day there and still didn't get to see all the animals. Later that night we went to my brothers house where they had a party set up for my birthday. I had a great time talking to all my relatives, having some cake and ice cream, and playing some sports.

riverThe last day in town, we visited the Remington Nature Center on the Missouri River. There were some great informative exhibits there. Later that afternoon, it was time to head home. Really, the only bad part about the trip was the 16 hour drive in the car. I made a short little video (using Google Picasa) to share some of our fun experiences.

Sunner Trip 2009 from Mr. Seufert on Vimeo.

Article posted June 30, 2009 at 03:45 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 32

http://tformers.net/i/a/movies/transformers-revenge-of-the-fallen-poster.jpg" alt="transformers 2" />I am really excited to see so many of you blogging over the summer. I have really enjoyed reading about what you have all been up to lately. I will make it a point to leave some comments soon. I have been working summer school, so I have not had a lot of free time thus far. The good news is that summer school is over by 1:00, so have at least half the day to relax at home. I also get Friday's off, so I have seen a couple of movies. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was great! Any other suggestion?

ghostbustersMy biggest accomplishment so far this summer is beating the new Ghostbusters game over the weekend. At times, it was rather frustrating, but it kept me interested. I had a lot of fun playing through the different levels and challenges. It was written as if it was the third movie - taking place a couple of years after Ghostbusters II. Thanks to JO for giving me the Blockbuster gift card that I used to rent it! Can anyone suggest some other games?

I will be headed to Missouri to visit my Dad on Thursday. I will let you guys know how the trip went when I get back. Keep Blogging!

Green Alumni
Seufert's Scholars
Seufert's Scholars PM

Locations of visitors to this page Geo Visitors Map