Copyright (c) 2014 by Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher -- Blogmeister

Write On!

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Our City
Our School District
Our School
Our Classroom Wiki
Our Classroom Bookmarks
Mr. Milloy's Class Weblog, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Mr. Ahlness' Class Weblog, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
Mr. Smith's Class Weblog, Hannibal, Missouri U.S.A.
Mr. Meyer's Class Weblog, Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
Melville Intermediate School Weblog, Hamilton, New Zealand
Mr. Johnston's Class Weblog, Glasgow, Scotland
Mamaroneck Avenue School Weblog, Mamaroneck, New York, U.S.A.
Our Good Reads
Solar System Games
Youth Group Games

Article posted September 3, 2012 at 04:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 9252

Hello Educational Bloggers,

We just started our blog in South Africa. You can reach us at:

[LINK] or monsonclassroom.org

Thanks again for making the world so much smaller for us all. See you on the web.

Be well.

Mr. Monson

Article posted July 17, 2012 at 06:14 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 115

Hello fellow bloggers. All good things have to come to an end…at least a temporary one. I will be closing this blog down for a bit due to my move to South Africa to teach at the American International School of Johannesburg. More about my new teaching digs at: [LINK]

Thanks for all of you who shared and commented throughout the years. I will be utilizing a new blog with my international students at a different web address. Stay tuned…

Article posted May 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 179

Article posted May 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 159

Hello Families! I REALLY cannot believe we are in our last three weeks of the school year. These weeks bring along a lot of loose ends. We will be completing our last work of the year over the next nine days as I am closing the official grade book June 1st. All work is due by that date. Report cards will go out the last day of school, June 7th. The first week will be full of a TON of end-of-the-year assessments for the school district. This is a great time for students to shine and show all the growth that has taken place over the past school year. As you prepare for a summer away from school please plan with your student how he/she will continue READING, WRITING, and WORKING WITH NUMBERS. Feel free to contact me for additional activities your child can do throughout the summer months to prepare for middle school. As always, thanks for what you do and please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Article posted May 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 133

• May 21st: Fire Presentation

• May 22nd: World Beat Trip

• May 23rd: Mr. Monson Gone (All Day)

• May 24th: All Library Books Due! (please clean out those bedrooms at home for any school materials!)

• May 24: NWEA Assessments 9:30-11:00

• May 25: NWEA Assessments 2:00-3:30

• May 28th: No School-Memorial Day

• June 1st: Mrs. Monson’s Class and Mr. Monson’s Class Park Point Celebration!

• June 5th: Duluth Huskies Game at the Wade

• June 5th: Room 301 Cleaning (bring backpacks and extra bags if necessary!)

• June 6th: Grade 5 Graduation Celebration—2:00 p.m. in the Nettleton Gym with a reception in the Nettleton Cafeteria to follow

• June 7th: Last Day of School—Field Day!

• July 9th: Happy Birthday Jackson!

• July 22nd: Mr. and Mrs. Monson (and Jack) leave for Johannesburg, South Africa!

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 06:36 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 117

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 06:33 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 100

Hello Families! We had such a fantastic trip to St. Paul on Thursday and Friday. I would like to thank all the students and chaperones for making it a trip that they will remember for a long time.

This week we will be continuing some things that the kids were working on over the past two weeks. We continue our research projects, look for more information and get some of our first words on paper. Wednesday looks like a great day for the Fit ‘n Fun Run that is held at Denfeld. We will bus there over the noon hour to quickly run the race and then come back to Nettleton.

As always, thanks for what you do and please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 06:32 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 111

• May 14th: All Nettleton Library Books Due!

• May 15th: Happy Birthday Jaelynn!

• May 16th: Fit and Fun Run at PSS Denfeld

• May 18th: Daniel Daniels Storyteller Assembly

• May 23rd: Mr. Monson Gone (All Day)

• May 24-25: NWEA Assessments Math/Reading

• May 28th: No School-Memorial Day

• July 9th: Happy Birthday Jackson!

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 05:59 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 114

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 05:58 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 131

Hello Families! We are in for a short week at school and then an awesome trip to St. Paul to the Minnesota History Center and the Science Museum of Minnesota. We are still in need of chaperones that are willing to come on this great adventure. Please call, e-mail or send a note if you are interested and I will get back to you. We also need ALL permission forms returned ASAP. Thanks for reminding your student about the importance of “keeping their head in the game” this close to the end of the year. May is such a great time of celebration to the end of the school year but learning continues and should throughout the summer. We have so many amazing readers in this classroom that exceeded their goal in books this year. I hope all the fantastic reading continues until the next school year starts! As always, thanks for what you do and please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

Grade 5 Students

Jay and Jack-Pacific

My name is Jay Monson and I started teaching elementary school in the Mankato Public Schools in 1994. There I taught grades 2, 4, and 6. I moved north to Duluth in 1999 and have since taught grades 4, 5, 3-5 Title I Reading and Math, and K-6 Technology Integration.

My formal education includes a Bachelors of Science (Teaching) degree from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 1994 and a Masters of Education degree with a concentration in Educational Computing and Technology from University of Minnesota, Duluth in 2004. I have also been trained and trained others in teaching gifted and talented students, technology integration strategies, classroom management philosophies such as Responsive Classroom and Judicious Discipline, math and reading remediation methods, and various curricular area pilot programs.

I enjoy backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, and running the roads and trails of Northern Minnesota and the U.S. On any given day you may find me on the Superior Hiking Trail, on Lake Superior, or hanging out in the woods with my wife and Nettleton kindergarten teacher, Sara, and our chocolate lab, Jack.

I fell in love with blogging and the opportunities it offers to kids. I enjoy using technology to write, share, and communicate. I currently hang out with creative fifth grade kids as we learn to become peaceful, productive citizens of our world community.

Our students follow a technology acceptable use policy and sign a blogger contract. If you have any questions or comments please e-mail me at: Jay.Monson@duluth.k12.mn.us.

Click for Duluth, Minnesota Forecast