Copyright (c) 2014 by Mark Ahlness Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mark Ahlness -- Blogmeister

Mighty Writers 2005-06

A writing forum for the third graders in Room 12

by Mark Ahlness

Arbor Heights Elementary
Seattle School District
Mr. Ahlness' blog
Other Student Bloggers
Blogger Map!
Mr. Brune's 5th Graders

Article posted September 1, 2006 at 05:32 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 7758

Congratulations to the 2005-06 third graders in Room 12! You all did such an absolutely AMAZING job with your writing on your blogs! You made a difference not only for yourselves, but you also inspired many, many people all over the world!

Student writing on this blog has now come to an end (I just changed everyone's passwords).

Roomtwelve.com now goes to a new location, the third graders in Room 12 for the 2006-07 school year.

So goodbye, you great bunch of kids in room 12. You were an incredible group to have in the classroom. I feel very lucky to have been your teacher. Keep on blogging!

Your third grade teacher,

Mr. Ahlness

Article posted August 24, 2006 at 04:42 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 105

Summer is almost over. And this blog, from the 2005-2006 school year is also coming to an end. One more week to go, folks! So room 12 kids, you have a few days to get in a last article or two - go for it! The blogs will all stay, but it won't be possible to write any more articles on them - unless your next year's teacher wants to start up a blog and transfer them over... not totally sure if this is a possibility yet.

Anyway, roomtwelve.com has one more week to go at this location. Stay tuned here for news about its new home. - Mr. A.

Article posted July 27, 2006 at 04:11 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 174

Summer is a wonderful time out here in Seattle. Sunny days, very little rain (none in the past month!), low humidity, and hardly any bugs – really! So it’s hard to imagine why anyone would leave. But summer is also a time for family vacations, and people do go, as reported here by Jackson and Jacqueline. For those who stay around, it just doesn’t get much better than this, as reported by Isobel, Ming, and Danielle. Hikes, parties, camps, and just kicking back make having fun in the summer in Seattle a real no-brainer!

And what about the teacher? Well, for now he’s in kick back mode, but home improvement projects are looming on the horizon… duh...duh...duh.. eeek! – Mr. A.

ps – we are obviously still “open” for student writing – and comments are welcome and appreciated!

Article posted July 19, 2006 at 07:29 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 126

The following PowerPoint presentations were produced by students in Room 12 during the past school year. We can't even come close to listing them all here because most contain pictures of other students or students in Room 12 who did not have permission for their pictures to appear on the Internet. But here are a few that will show you a little bit more about the 2005-06 school year of the third graders in Room 12. Enjoy!

Field Trip to the Zoo

Field Trip to Chinatown

Field Trip to the Pike Place Market

The Mile Run

PS - also, take a look at our "How to Make a Six Sided Snowflake" presentations from early in the year.

Article posted June 28, 2006 at 05:14 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 148

The school year is over, but the writing will continue here, for any students from room 12 who want to - and for anyone who would like to leave comments - at least through August 31, 2006.

Congratulations to Jackson, who is the first student to post an article after school got out! Way to go, Jackson! Sorry, no, there is no prize :) - Mr. A.

Article posted June 20, 2006 at 04:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 121

Sometimes it's just too hard to keep it together, especially when summer is just around the corner... one of our room 12 cheer "outtakes"... an 831k wmv file

(a "better" one is in the message below)

Article posted June 20, 2006 at 04:25 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 117

A short video of our own Room 12 Cheer - reserved for special occasions, accomplishments, etc. This is an 866k wmv video file:

Article posted June 16, 2006 at 01:39 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 128

Wow! The students at roomtwelve.com are outdoing themselves these days, publishing blog posts at an amazing rate. On all sorts of topics, like summer vacation plans (assigned by me), to sports items, video game stuff, fantasy writing, and on and on.... I am so very proud to be their teacher!

A couple of new things we've taken on this past week:

- most students now have a picture on their blog (upper right corner) of something important or meaningful to them.

- some students are including links to other web sites in their blog articles. They picked up how to do this pretty quickly last week.

Our last day of school is June 21st, and we will be blogging right up until the end. Many students will continue to blog here over our summer months (more on that later). - Mr. A.

This is a special thank you to the teachers who have left comments for the kids here. Your words have REALLY helped these third graders become stronger readers and writers! Here is a list of teachers who have left comments. Most of the names are linked to their blogs, if they have one:

Nancy McKeand, Ms. J.-S, Cheryl Oakes, Lani, Jeanne Simpson, Ms Bailey, Ms. Sato, Janice Friesen, Mr. Warkentin, Miss Vail, Ms. Fullerton, Mrs. DeGiorgio, Mrs. Turner, Jody Hayes, Pam Jeter, Mr. Brune, Jennifer Bazley, Dean Shareski, Brett Moller, Julie Jaffe, Michael Cridland, Mrs. Cessna, and last but not least, the man who gave us a confidence boost, got us excited, and who asked other teachers to send comments to student bloggers - as homework - Wesley Fryer!

Thanks to all of you! -

Mr. A.

ps - if I`ve missed somebody, please don`t be shy about letting me know. I want to include everybody!

Article posted June 10, 2006 at 07:58 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 122

All smiles, with a week and a half to go in the school year, the kids from roomtwelve.com pose in front of our display of all the reports sent in for the Earth Day Groceries Project.

Room 12
Room 12 - private

I am the teacher in Room 12. Email: mahlness@halcyon.com

Subscribe to roomtwelve.com: