Copyright (c) 2014 by Terry Smith Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Mr. Smith's Blogging Community

WWW.SMITHBLOGGERS.ORG

See educational technology links and videos on the Classroom Web and on multiple Wiki pages. This blog is no lobger being used by kids because Mr. Smith has moved to higher education - Western Illinois University. Please browse through the articles here to see how many different ways that kids can learn with blogging around the world. Oh, for rock and roll fans, here is a vdeo from our annual Winter Air Guitar Party AIR Guitar Link

Kidlink Landmark 2014 Games - The Project starts again in February. Last year we had so many participants that we had to create Group A and group B in the primary Games. We still had only one section in the Challenge Group (older students). Let's see what happens this coming year in the 2014 Games!

by Terry Smith

No Links added yet!

Article posted September 8, 2012 at 03:08 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 21842

Building the Monster

Illinois classrooms dominated the project last year as far as having the most participating schools! Mrs. Rush's 5th grade from Galesburg, Illinois created a fabulous 3D monster that was voted the TOP Monster for 2013. Will they do it again next year? How about the Canadians - will we see more? The United Kingdom monster builders? Turkey? Russia? And the Missouri teachers always seem to come out in full force!  Everyone should keep an eye on Mr. Ferguson's 4th grade in New Hampshire - they have grabbed the TOP Monster spot twice. 

Quick List of Dates:

Sign up and choose your part in September

Descriptions sent in no later than  September 30

Build the Monster between Oct 1 and Oct 25

Send in your photo and Monster name by October 28.

All Monsters built by Halloween - October 31!

All Monster builders cast votes for the TOP Monster.

Monster Web Site: See the Timeline link  and Classroom Suggestions for New Teachers PDF.

www.smithclass.org/proj/Monsters

I'm looking forward to another exciting year of networking, sharing learning, and collaborating around the world to create our "blueprint" for this year's Monster.

Bye for now from Monster Central,

Terry

Article posted February 23, 2012 at 07:36 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 854

We have completed this year's the project again with a group of Primary players (43 teams) and Challenge players (23 teams) demonstrating that social studies applied in a project basis is not only stimulating learning, but is "The Hardest Academic Game on the Internet" according to Michelle Huseman, 4th grade teacher at Eugene Field Elementary in Hannibal, Missouri.

Go to http://www.kidlink.org/drupal/project/landmark to see the intro video and learn how to play the game if you are interested in being in next year's worldwide competition.

The TOP teams from this year are posted - Mrs. Lowe's Class from Australia clawed their way to the top - again!

Terry

Landmark 2012 Coordinator

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 338

This year's Global Monster Project is well under way with 27 Monsters at Monster Central the last time I dared to look. Teachers are as creative as ever  with educational technology using Wallwisher, Glogster, Smilebox, Animoto, Audacity, Garageband, Movie Maker and PhotoStory.

I'll be watching for more Monsters to creep into Monster Central in the next few days, then we will have the big VOTE - trying to name the best Monster of 2011 by the selection of the Monster makers themselves.

Go to www.smithclass.org/proj/Monsters to see the action!

Article posted May 23, 2011 at 01:40 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 269

This space will soon have photos of Lara Tarasevich and her students in Russia while they were skyping with my college students at the University of St. Francis. The purpose of the meeting was to demonstrate to my teacher education students how they might use video in thier future classroom. Mrs. Tarasevich is an excellent example of a global teacher.

Check back soon!

Article posted May 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 399

Do you know the stories of the rivers of Illinois?

Throughout history people have tried to find out where rivers would lead them. They have been amazed with the river's awesome power and beauty. Click above to begin an interactive lesson!

Student teachers Kristee and Michelle teach our 4th grade friends about movement on a coordinate system using the grid carpet. Using letters and numbers, the students locate specific points with their feet!

Here is Barbara's sample photo inserted. I copied the location and then used the HTML Insert code. I changed https to http in the code and it worked.

Article posted November 29, 2010 at 08:31 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 338

The Monster project has been tracked down by the Joliet newspaper. You can follow the link to read what we were doing at St. Raymond's Elementary School with kids and future teachers from the University of Saint Francis.

Click Here to go to the story.

Article posted October 8, 2010 at 04:52 AM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 365

Here is a short video showing the boys and girls in grade 4 at St. Raymond's School in Joliet, Illinois. This school is next door to the University of St. Francis where I am working now as a professor in the college of education. I went to this classroom on Tuesday to work with the kids on the Monster project. I'll be going back soon to watch their Monster come to life. -- Mr. Smith

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 02:25 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 713

The Monster project is starting up again for 2010, so if you would like to join, check out the details and time line at the project site.

http://www.smithclass.org/proj/Monsters

Article posted May 13, 2010 at 02:34 PM GMT • comment (7) • Reads 252

In May, Mr. Humble came all the way from England to do the Woodlands Project with us this week and to go on our Spring hike! In this video, he is reading from Road Dahl's The Witches and demonstrating how the voice of the Grand High Witch might sound if she were in the room with us! The students could not get enough of Mr. Humble's English accent!

Article posted April 13, 2010 at 07:49 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 110

Augmented reality is a  blending of virtual reality, like when we're in Quest Atlantis, with the reality of things in the real world. In this video we are crossing the line between what is real (our classroom)and what is created by the computer (animated colorful objects floating in the air). You can try this out yourself by going to http://ge.ecomagination.com/smartgrid/ .

Article posted March 30, 2010 at 03:43 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 96

We're always talking about how to be creative in our classroom and how to put our ideas together into even bigger ideas (synthesis). Well, just imagine if you were asked to help someone understand seat belt safety. And you were asked to make a meaningful family connection. What would you do? The following video is one way to do this. What would you do to get the same message across? What main ideas would you use? Would you do a video or a photo slideshow or a cartoon or an MP3? Or something totally different?

Article posted February 12, 2010 at 03:39 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 99

After the field trip to Clarksville, Missouri to learn about bald eagles from raptor experts, and watching the eagles swoop from the sky to snatch fish from the Mississippi River, we went online to do a Web Quest about Eagles. This was also great preparation for our upcoming mega-research project called Landmark 2010.

Article posted December 16, 2009 at 04:25 PM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 94

We have little pieces of Russia in the following Voicethread. Mrs. Tarasevich's class from Aban, Russia sent us a surprise package. Ded Moroz (Father Frost) and Snegurochka (Snow Maiden), matreshka, and a valenok. We learned that in Russia, Father Frost brings presents to the children, especially if they recite a poem! Special thanks to Mrs. Black from Naches, Washington and her students Warren and Brian who have added so many voice comments to this Voicethread. Also on the last page we have two very nice comments from the students in Mrs. Tarasevich's class in Russia. This is how Voicethreads were meant to be used! 

Article posted December 4, 2009 at 04:53 AM GMT • comment (11) • Reads 292

Always looking for experiences, we entered a most unusual space - with no particular agenda other than to see what it might be like. This video is the result.

Article posted October 26, 2009 at 02:51 AM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 89

After three days of design and construction time, our monster, named Psycho Maniac is comfortably on the wall at the top of the stairway on the 3rd floor of Eugene Field School. He is a friendly greeter to all who travel the long distance up three flights of stairs to get to the highest point in our building. All went well with the sketching and practicing, but building the skateboard proved to be a very hard problem. The wheels kept falling off. Being stubborn problem-solvers, our team sorted out the difficulty, changed the design slightly, and added four blue wheels using pipe cleaners. The passport was another problem, because no one in our class knew what a passport was! Again, the problem was soon solved by a clever team of girls! If you want to see more monsters, go to the Monsters 2009 project site.

We have Monster Movie MP3s on the Monster Project Site. Hear Billy and Davion's very scary Don't Answer the Phone! - and More!

Article posted October 2, 2009 at 04:32 AM GMT • comment (9) • Reads 120

So...right in the middle of Abbie's Book Talk, a phenomenon begins right outside our window. As any curious learner would do, we dropped everything and observed the following amazing sight. Please comment and tell us: (1) Why the birds went into the chimney and (2) Why they came out in such a frenzy.

Article posted August 7, 2009 at 08:06 PM GMT • comment (28) • Reads 87

Please accept this visual thinking challenge. What is this thing? How does it move? What is it doing? How can it help any of us?

Article posted May 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM GMT • comment (7) • Reads 109

Roasted squid in a can - don't those words bring wonderful thoughts into your mind - or not? Our friends from Taiwan sent us the squid and it was time to crack the can open. Here are some of our observations and reactions.

I had a great 4th grade this year and will miss them All!

Article posted May 7, 2009 at 09:36 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 99

Our first hiking date was canceled due to thunderstorms, but on May 6 we had beautiful sunny weather in Fall Creek Gorge Park near Payson, Illinois. Students had fun gathering math/science data in nature, exercising, and splashing in clear, cold creek water.

Article posted May 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 105

We journeyed to St. Charles, Missouri as part of our studies of Missouri history and the expedition of Lewis and Clark. Here are few moments.

Article posted April 19, 2009 at 07:51 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 79

This video shows the Members of the YouTube Symphony Orchestra, the world's first orchestra chosen by auditions on-line. Over 3,000 musicians sent in videos of themselves playing their instruments. Orchestra judges selected the finalists, then YouTube viewers voted on the ones they thought should be in this special orchestra. The musicians in this video gathered for the performance in New York City at Carnegie Hall with conductor Tan Dun to do a symphony called Eroica on April 15, 2009. The musicians only had three days to rehearse for their performance! Watch and see how many instruments you can identify that have been played in your school. Do you see any unusual instruments?

Article posted March 9, 2009 at 01:49 PM GMT • comment (15) • Reads 110

This is a brief clip from our classroom Technology Day. We were exploring examples of technology in our daily lives, home and school. In this video, we are testing the range of the Nintendo DS Lite device - a "toy." The objective is to understand the word network.

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 03:39 PM GMT • comment (22) • Reads 127

You can leave comments on this Voicethread. Click on my small picture to see the words I wrote. Click the arrow on the bottom right to move through the pictures like a slideshow. If you click directly on the picture, you can zoom in and out and move around in the picture. If you want to go to the main Voicethread site, then click HERE and you will be able to leave your comments alongside each photo. If you have a microphone, you can leave a voice comment. If not, you can type in a text comment.

A Get Well song from kids at St. Oswald's Primary in Burneside, England.

This is a little different than the usual postings found on our blog page. I am away from my class today and I miss the kids. I am in a hospital in New Orleans and I want to share some of the kidney adventures that are happening right now.  The first photo is one day after my wife Mary donated one of her kidneys to her good friend Amy.  Donor and Recipient are in New Orleans, Louisiana at a hospital called Ochsner.

What does a kidney do?

Well here is an answer from http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/:

What Are Kidneys? - "Your kidneys are bean-shaped organs, each about the size of your fist. They are located near the middle of your back, just below the rib cage. The kidneys are sophisticated reprocessing machines. Every day, your kidneys process about 200 quarts of blood to sift out about 2 quarts of waste products and extra water. The waste and extra water become urine, which flows to your bladder through tubes called ureters. Your bladder stores urine until you go to the bathroom."

For more information, go to YouTube and search on kidney transplants.

Article posted December 16, 2008 at 07:11 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 72

We are underway with Quest Atlantis...a virtual world of adventures and quests based on seven social commitments: creative expression, diversity affirmation, personal agency, social responsibility, environmental awareness, healthy communities, and compassionate wisdom.

This is a sample of the video work we are doing as part of the Monster Project. This one is called "Miss Peters the Mind Reader." More videos are on the Monster Project

Video Page.

Article posted November 23, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 79

Here are some examples of the Timlelines that students sent us from Kang Chaio. We are adding audio comments about the Timelines. Nov 24

Article posted October 8, 2008 at 01:10 AM GMT • comment (20) • Reads 119

Question: Is debating or dancing the best way to decide on a president? You be the judge.

Article posted August 21, 2008 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment (15) • Reads 150

Here is a voicethread poetry reading project we did last year with Kang Chaio Bilingual School in Tapei, Taiwan. Enjoy the poetry!

Article posted May 2, 2008 at 07:19 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 93

Students were requested to bring in any form of technology they used in their homes. This video shows the result, plus a few comments on other technologies found in the classroom.

Article posted April 3, 2008 at 08:28 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 152

As part of working with Mrs. Lowe's class in Australia in the 1001 Tales writing project, she sent our kids a sample of the popular Australian snack, vegemite (yeast extract in a tube), which we promptly applied to bread and crackers and sampled in front of the video lens. Communication? Indeed.

Article posted March 26, 2008 at 02:17 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 116

Here is our contribution to the March edition of the Voices of the World Project. Since we just had a special Taiwanese teacher helping us with the days of the week in Mandarin Chinese, we included those also in the second verse of Days of the Week: xingqi tien, xingqi yi, xingqi er, xingqi san, xingqi si, xingqi wu, and xingqi liu.

Article posted March 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 82

The first time we used our new XO - March 6, 2008

Article posted February 11, 2008 at 09:58 PM GMT • comment (7) • Reads 96

Ms. Elahi from Karachi, Pakistan gave us the idea for a plant project. Here is what is happening so far. Watch this Voicethread for new material from Pakistan as well as the BIG SALAD PARTY at the end of the project.

It's Completed! See the Salad movie at the end!

Article posted December 28, 2007 at 04:25 PM GMT • comment (17) • Reads 103

Dear Class,

Watch the following video - and BEWARE! It could happen to YOU! Please write a new blog entry and *briefly* summarize the story. Do you have any connections to this story: text to text, text to self, or text to world? What do you think is the main lesson to be learned from this very scary story?

Article posted November 7, 2007 at 02:47 AM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 89

Monster Project Overview: Click the center start arrow at the bottom of the screen to start the show, or advance as quickly as you want with the arrow on the bottom right.

Article posted October 17, 2007 at 03:32 AM GMT • comment (9) • Reads 87

Yes, the Monster Project is well underway in our classroom. Our Monster is finished and, we have been very busy writing scripts and making Monster videos. Here are two recent videos: The Monster Brothers and Hannibal Star Wars.

Find more videos like this on Classroom 2.0

Here is our Monster Project Wiki:

Wikispaces

Article posted September 11, 2007 at 08:41 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 82

We are making a new podcasting genre called animalcasting. Here is Kalin's hamstercast story about a very lucky hamster named Tinkerbell.

Article posted September 5, 2007 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment (8) • Reads 96

Dear New Students,

We will use this Blog space to share our thoughts on things we learn this year. You have entered the realm of 4th Grade Bloggers! It is time to add something new to your learning - Blogging! Let's all begin by writing some practice blogs and then leaving thoughtful comments on the blogs of our classmates.

Your first assignment is to list four random things about yourself...anything you want to tell your classmates about you.

Here are 4 random facts about me:

1. I am left handed.

2. My cat's name is Homer.

3. I love bicycle riding.

4. I have been to the Dr. Who museum in Wales.

Mr. Smith

Article posted August 13, 2007 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 97

Last year, my students podcasted each chapter of Roald Dahl's James and the Giant Peach. Podcasts can be found under 1-Peach-podcasts in the right column of our class blog page.

My Last Class

From NPR: Letters to President Obama from students in the 4th, 5th and 6th grades at Eagle's Nest Intermediate School on the Navajo Nation reservation in Tuba City, Arizona.

Special Links
Taiwan Food Project
Air Guitar

Our Podomatic Page