Copyright (c) 2014 by Terry Smith Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Terry Smith -- Blogmeister

Mr. Smith's Blogging Community

WWW.SMITHBLOGGERS.ORG

See educational technology links and videos on the Classroom Web and on multiple Wiki pages. This blog is no lobger being used by kids because Mr. Smith has moved to higher education - Western Illinois University. Please browse through the articles here to see how many different ways that kids can learn with blogging around the world. Oh, for rock and roll fans, here is a vdeo from our annual Winter Air Guitar Party AIR Guitar Link

Kidlink Landmark 2014 Games - The Project starts again in February. Last year we had so many participants that we had to create Group A and group B in the primary Games. We still had only one section in the Challenge Group (older students). Let's see what happens this coming year in the 2014 Games!

by Terry Smith

No Links added yet!

Article posted September 8, 2012 at 03:08 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 20991

Building the Monster

Illinois classrooms dominated the project last year as far as having the most participating schools! Mrs. Rush's 5th grade from Galesburg, Illinois created a fabulous 3D monster that was voted the TOP Monster for 2013. Will they do it again next year? How about the Canadians - will we see more? The United Kingdom monster builders? Turkey? Russia? And the Missouri teachers always seem to come out in full force!  Everyone should keep an eye on Mr. Ferguson's 4th grade in New Hampshire - they have grabbed the TOP Monster spot twice. 

Quick List of Dates:

Sign up and choose your part in September

Descriptions sent in no later than  September 30

Build the Monster between Oct 1 and Oct 25

Send in your photo and Monster name by October 28.

All Monsters built by Halloween - October 31!

All Monster builders cast votes for the TOP Monster.

Monster Web Site: See the Timeline link  and Classroom Suggestions for New Teachers PDF.

www.smithclass.org/proj/Monsters

I'm looking forward to another exciting year of networking, sharing learning, and collaborating around the world to create our "blueprint" for this year's Monster.

Bye for now from Monster Central,

Terry

Article posted February 23, 2012 at 07:36 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 758

We have completed this year's the project again with a group of Primary players (43 teams) and Challenge players (23 teams) demonstrating that social studies applied in a project basis is not only stimulating learning, but is "The Hardest Academic Game on the Internet" according to Michelle Huseman, 4th grade teacher at Eugene Field Elementary in Hannibal, Missouri.

Go to http://www.kidlink.org/drupal/project/landmark to see the intro video and learn how to play the game if you are interested in being in next year's worldwide competition.

The TOP teams from this year are posted - Mrs. Lowe's Class from Australia clawed their way to the top - again!

Terry

Landmark 2012 Coordinator

Article posted November 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 266

This year's Global Monster Project is well under way with 27 Monsters at Monster Central the last time I dared to look. Teachers are as creative as ever  with educational technology using Wallwisher, Glogster, Smilebox, Animoto, Audacity, Garageband, Movie Maker and PhotoStory.

I'll be watching for more Monsters to creep into Monster Central in the next few days, then we will have the big VOTE - trying to name the best Monster of 2011 by the selection of the Monster makers themselves.

Go to www.smithclass.org/proj/Monsters to see the action!

Article posted May 23, 2011 at 01:40 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 199

This space will soon have photos of Lara Tarasevich and her students in Russia while they were skyping with my college students at the University of St. Francis. The purpose of the meeting was to demonstrate to my teacher education students how they might use video in thier future classroom. Mrs. Tarasevich is an excellent example of a global teacher.

Check back soon!

Article posted May 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 326

Do you know the stories of the rivers of Illinois?

Throughout history people have tried to find out where rivers would lead them. They have been amazed with the river's awesome power and beauty. Click above to begin an interactive lesson!

Student teachers Kristee and Michelle teach our 4th grade friends about movement on a coordinate system using the grid carpet. Using letters and numbers, the students locate specific points with their feet!

Here is Barbara's sample photo inserted. I copied the location and then used the HTML Insert code. I changed https to http in the code and it worked.

The Monster project has been tracked down by the Joliet newspaper. You can follow the link to read what we were doing at St. Raymond's Elementary School with kids and future teachers from the University of Saint Francis.

Click Here to go to the story.

Article posted October 8, 2010 at 04:52 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 318

Here is a short video showing the boys and girls in grade 4 at St. Raymond's School in Joliet, Illinois. This school is next door to the University of St. Francis where I am working now as a professor in the college of education. I went to this classroom on Tuesday to work with the kids on the Monster project. I'll be going back soon to watch their Monster come to life. -- Mr. Smith

Article posted September 15, 2010 at 02:25 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 670

The Monster project is starting up again for 2010, so if you would like to join, check out the details and time line at the project site.

http://www.smithclass.org/proj/Monsters

My Last Class

From NPR: Letters to President Obama from students in the 4th, 5th and 6th grades at Eagle's Nest Intermediate School on the Navajo Nation reservation in Tuba City, Arizona.

Special Links
Taiwan Food Project
Air Guitar

Our Podomatic Page