Copyright (c) 2014 by Maria Knee Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Maria Knee -- Blogmeister

The KinderKids' Blog

The 2012 KinderKids

We want to share our work with our families and the world.

by Maria Knee

Deerfield Community School
Room 4 Brightwater in NZ
Kool Kowhai - a class in New Zealan
Mrs. Blakely's Kindergarten
Counting to 100 wiki
Mrs. Laskowsky
Prep Gems in Australia
Parent Information
KinderKids Learning Page
Mrs. Cassidy's Class, Moose Jaw SK
Miss B's Kindergarten
Mrs B's Class, Squamish BC
Ms Hayes Class in New Zealand
SInging and Dancing Symbaloo
Australian Animal Wiki

Article posted March 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 201

Mrs. Knee and Mr. Knee make maple syrup at their house. Mrs. Knee told us about making maple syrup and we read books about it. We watched a video too. We learned:

You get sap from sugar maple trees.

First you drill a small hole in the tree and then you put a pile in the hole. Then you tap it in with a hammer. You have to hang a bucket on the spile and put a top on it. The sap drips into the bucket.

The sap comes when the days are warm and the nights are cold.

It takes lots of sap to make syrup. It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of maple syrup.

Mr. Knee boils the sap in a big pan n the sugar house. He boils for a long time until the sap turns to sugar.

There is a cupola on top of the sugar house. The steam goes out the cupola.

We made pancakes at school and had some of Mr. Knee's syrup on them. It was the best!

Mrs. Knee cooked syrup for a longer time until it was thicker. We went outside and up the hill to the field. We found clean snow. It was deep. Mrs. Knee poured the syrup on the snow and it turned sticky and icky. That is Sugar on Snow. Sebastian and Nolan liked it. It was sweet and good. It stuck to Emily's mitten and it stuck in Olivia's hair.

: Sugar on Snow More Sugar on Snow

Have you ever had Sugar on Snow?

Article posted March 7, 2013 at 04:13 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 108

We celebrated Read Across America and World Reading Day by inviting several people around the world to read to us. Each day, we used Skype to connect with a new reader. We listened to new stories and made new friends. We even heard a story that we knew. Our friend, Mrs. Marrinan stayed up late to read to us. It was good to meet Mrs. Cassidy. We read her blog and have wondered what she looks like. Ms. von Wahlde surprised us by sending us the book she read. We enjoyed our new stories so much that Mrs. Knee bought most of the books for our class. Now we can read the books whenever we want and have good memories of our skype calls.

Article posted March 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM GMT-5 • comment (18) • Reads 128

When Mrs. Marrinan came to visit in December, she brought us several books from Australia. We became interested in Australian animals and have been learning about them through books, websites and even with the help of Mrs. M and the Gems. We have a wiki that we used for our online information - check it out here. We shared our learning with our families on curriculum night. We want to share our learning with you, too.

Article posted February 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 98

We have had a wonderful winter of snow play. We've hiked in the woods, rolled snowballs to make snowmen and even had lots of snow for sliding. After our recent blizzard and some warmer temperatures, we had the perfect snow for building. Can you guess what we made? Here are some pictures to give you a hint....

What Are We Making?

Do you need more hints? We worked very hard packing the snow in the recycle bins and carrying them over to the building spot where Big Jack and Omar were waiting.

What Is It?

Did you guess? If you still don't know, we think this video will help you. Please tell us what you think.

Article posted February 6, 2013 at 09:49 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 86

Wednesday was our 100th day of school. We've been preparing for the 100th day of school by practicing our oral counting skills. Many children can count to 100 and the rest of the class continues to practice. We also have been making groups of ten and counting by 10's to 100. Last week, we worked on a bulletin board display that combined the 100th day event with Valentine's Day. After folding paper and cutting out more than 400 hearts, we used them to make 100 Valentine "Cards". Each child wrote 5 numbers in sequence until we reached 100. There have been several compliments about our display and many people stop to look a bit closer. Each square is a work of art. We are very pleased with the results.

Article posted February 1, 2013 at 03:26 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 205

Last week was a very cold week. It was 0* F and we couldn't go outside for recess. But that was okay because we did some cold weather science work.

What we know:

We know that things freeze in a freezer

You can make ice in a freezer.

Lakes freeze when it is cold.

What we wonder:

Can we make ice outside?

What can we put the water in?

We found containers to put water in. We even used a Bilibo. Mrs. Knee had some balloons. We know about water balloons and we wondered if the water would freeze inside the balloon. We filled two balloons. We put yellow color in one balloon and left one plain. We wondered what would happen if we colored the water. We put things in the water and wondered what would happen. We put in glitter, spider rings, foam shapes, paper clips, and even peppermint candy. The candy turned the water pink and green.

Getting started

Then we put all the containers outside. It was very cold outside.The water in the trays began to freeze and we saw crystals on top of the water.

OUTSIDE

We went to music and when we came back we checked outside.We had ice!

Ice

Ice Balloons

The balloons were hard but we could hear water inside when Mrs. Knee shook them. We wanted to see inside the balloon. Mrs. Knee cut off the balloon. We noticed:

The glitter was stuck into the ice

The spider rings were stuck.

The colored water froze and so did the clear.

Everything was hard and cold and shaped like the containers.

A ball of ice shaped like a balloon

A hole in the top of the ice

Water was inside the ice ball.

One was yellow and the other was clear

The ice was thin.

The water came out of the hole and now the ice looked like a bowl.

We wanted to make more ice balloons and let all the water freeze. Mrs. Knee filled more balloons and we put different colors in the water.

Photo Jan 24, 10 26 01 AM

We left the balloons outside all day and all night so they could get hard. The next day we brought them inside and Mrs. Knee cut open the balloons. Some ice balloons were cracked in half. some had big cracks.

More Ice Balloons

The ice balloons were melting inside. We know that salt makes ice melt on the road. We wondered what salt would do to our ice balloons. We hoped they would not melt away.

Investigations

We noticed:

The salt made lines on the ice.

We saw spikey line things inside the ice.

The ice looked pretty.

The towel on the table was getting wet from the ice. The ice was melting.

Our hands got wet.

We wonder what the spikey line things are in the ice. We wonder why the ice balloons had cracks. What do you think?

This is what we did with our ice balloons.

ice balloons

Article posted January 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM GMT-5 • comment (10) • Reads 95

We are very lucky to have lots of outdoor places to play at our school. We are also lucky that we can take the time to play and enjoy the outdoors. It was a beautiful day to be outside and the snow was just right for making things. Jack Hutchinson, our wonderful Thursday afternoon volunteer joined us as we worked together to create some amazing things in the snow. As you watch our movie, look for the ways we are working together and helping friends. We learn how to cooperate and how to be friends when we take time to build and create. Look for our smiles too. We were having fun!

Article posted January 20, 2013 at 01:23 PM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 93

Our big buddies met with Mrs. Campelia, our physical education teacher to learn about activities that would be good to do with 5 and 6 year olds. They planned wonderful activities to do with us. Some of the big buddies showed us things that they can do with the materials. It was like a show. It was a fun afternoon. We especially like the parachute. We are wondering what we will do next time when we get together with our big buddies.

Article posted January 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 106

Our gingerbread houses are a direct follow up to the reading of several versions of the runaway food. We read about the Gingerbread Girl, the Gingerbread Boy, the Gingerbread Baby and even a variation that involved a Runaway Pancake. Mrs. Marrinan brought us a story from Australia called the the Lamington Man. We noticed the setting - country, city ( yes - New York City), farm, and forest. We discussed the ways the runaway character was tricked and eventually caught - except for the Gingerbread Girl, who is one smart cookie.

In the Jan Brett version of the Gingerbread Baby, Matti used a gingerbread house to capture the baby. The children drew plans for decorating the roofs and walls of their houses and followed their plans with various patterns of candy. The pattern work was connected to our math activities. Lots of thoughtful work and effort went into creating each house.

Article posted November 23, 2012 at 07:47 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 87

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries

The 2012 KinderKids

How Many Visitors? Locations of visitors to this page