Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Huzzah
Blogs by the Sea
Mr. Miller's Class Blog
Making Waves in 6th Grade
Broadbent Blues
Fascinating Phenology

Article posted September 14, 2014 at 03:35 PM GMT-7 • comment (45) • Reads 12452

The following article was copied here for you to read from The Adventure Blog:

Ship Missing for 160 Years Found in the Arctic

"Back in 1845, famed British explorer Sir John Franklin set out to find, and navigate, the Northwest Passage. With him he took two ships, and 129 men, with the hopes of discovering a way to sail across the Arctic from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. Not long into the expedition, Franklin, his men, and the ships disappeared, creating one of the great mysteries of that era. Now, one of the ships has been found, shedding some light on what became of the crew.

Today, the Northwest Passage is a very real navigational route that opens for a few months each summer. Climate change has warmed the Arctic enough that the ice that once kept the Passage permanently sealed now gives way for ships to pass through. In Franklin's day however, the route was mostly a myth that a few explorers raced to discover. Sailing the Arctic Ocean in that era was a treacherous affair, fraught with uncertainty.

Franklin's ships were named the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. Exactly which ship has been located is unclear, but a team of explorers using sonar have found, and positively identified, one of the vessels at the bottom of the Victoria Strait. They believe that locating the first ship will provide some clues as to where the second can be found as well.

When Franklin and his ships went missing, a major search operation was launched by the British Navy. From 1848 to 1859, numerous expeditions ventured into the Arctic with the hope of locating the explorer and his men. When the hope that they could still be alive faded, the search continued to discover the fate of the crew instead. Unfortunately, no trace was found, and what happened to them remained a mystery. Over the years, there have been more than 50 attempts to find Franklin's ships, but little progress was ever made. In the 1980's, three bodies that were believed to be a part of the crew were discovered, and they contained high levels of lead in their system. That led to the theory that the sailors were poisoned by lead from the cans that contained their food. The Canadian government launched its own search back in 2008, and this latest expedition was an extension of those efforts. They were finally successful just a few weeks back.

Finding the ship sheds a bit of light on what happened, but it doesn't tell the entire tale. It is believed that the two vessels became trapped in the ice, and were slowly crushed under the weight. The crew more than likely had time to abandon ship, and escape onto the ice, where they no doubt faced a difficult challenge for survival. The local Inuit tribes, which had referenced the location of the ship for years, say that the men resorted to cannibalism in an attempt to survive. Eventually, they would all succumb to cold and starvation.

Locating the ship brings a bit of closure to one of exploration's great mysteries. We will probably never know the full tale, but at least there are some indications of what happened to the crew."

Share your impressions of this fascinating story. Notice how more evidence allows for better inferences of the mysteries of the lost ships in the Northwest Passage through the Arctic Ocean.

Article posted September 14, 2014 at 03:32 PM GMT-7 • comment (43) • Reads 404

Check out this article about the recently discovered super massive dinosaur, Dreadnoughtus schrani.

After reading the article and checking out some of the videos come back here to leave a comment. In your comment share what parts of the discoveries about Dreadnoughtus schrani are observations and what parts are inferences.

Article posted September 14, 2014 at 03:26 PM GMT-7 • comment (40) • Reads 335

In California's Death Valley there are mysterious stones that, as evidence shows, move! How can stones move?!

At a place called Racetrack Playa, a dry lakebed, there are stones that leave trails behind them as they move. Yet whenever people come to see these fascinating stones they don't see them moving at all!

What could cause these, "sailing stones" to move?

Before you read the following articles come up with some guesses yourself.

Here's an article that tells about the mystery.

Here's an article that explains how this incredible phenomena happens!

When you're done reading the above articles come back here to leave a comment sharing what you thought caused the rocks to move.

Article posted September 14, 2014 at 03:20 PM GMT-7 • comment (39) • Reads 331

There is a glacier in McMurdo Dry Valleys in Eastern Antarctica where crimson, blood red ooze slowly seeps from a fissure in the Taylor Glacier onto the frozen Lake Bonney.

What is it? What can be causing all that red ooze from what is now being called, "Blood Glacier?"

Before reading the article that tells what causes that blood red ooze, make a guess (since you have little if any data, then it's really a guess and not an inference).

Then click here to read the cause of Blood Glacier!

When you're done come back here to click on comment and share what you thought it was.

Article posted September 9, 2014 at 08:22 AM GMT-7 • comment (11) • Reads 3139

Watch this video to learn about what motivates us:

Article posted August 21, 2014 at 04:00 PM GMT-7 • comment (2) • Reads 20797

Click on the image to go to the original website and see it large enough to actually read it. :)

Article posted August 17, 2014 at 06:46 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 2342

Article posted July 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 36938

[The flowchart is an attempt in creating a clear route to follow to something that is not as clear cut in nature. If you choose to use it, please do so in the spirit of such disclaimer. - Silvia Tolisano]

Article posted July 22, 2014 at 12:43 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 4374

The 9 Most Powerful Blog Promotion Tactics From Top Marketing Experts [Infographic]
ReferralCandy - Refer-a-friend Programs for Ecommerce Stores

Article posted June 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 34662

Period 1
Period 2
Period 3

I started my teaching career in South Central Los Angeles teaching in modified to full bilingual 4th and 5th grade classes. Then I moved to WA State where I have taught mainly 6th through 8th grade. I have enjoyed the culture clash but notice that kids are the same everywhere :o)

My areas of interest are science and technology but I also love studying ancient cultures and learning about different peoples and cultures.

Mr. G's Other Blog

About Mr. G

Captain González
Captain Gonzalez