Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Smith's Class Blog
A Look at Books
Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog
Chemistry Blogs!
LMS Theodocion
Harbor 8

Article posted February 25, 2014 at 09:33 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 70687

Standards:

MS-LS1-1. Conduct an investigation to provide evidence that living things are made of cells; either one cell or many different numbers and types of cells. [Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on developing evidence that living things are made of cells, distinguishing between living and non-living things, and understanding that living things may be made of one cell or many and varied cells.]

MS-LS1-2. Develop and use a model to describe the function of a cell as a whole and ways parts of cells contribute to the function. [Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on the cell functioning as a whole system and the primary role of identified parts of the cell, specifically the nucleus, chloroplasts, mitochondria, cell membrane, and cell wall.] [Assessment Boundary: Assessment of organelle structure/function relationships is limited to the cell wall and cell membrane. Assessment of the function of the other organelles is limited to their relationship to the whole cell. Assessment does not include the biochemical function of cells or cell parts.]

Systems and System Models

Systems may interact with other systems; they may have sub-systems and be a part of larger complex systems. (MS-LS1-3)

Structure and Function

Complex and microscopic structures and systems can be visualized, modeled, and used to describe how their function depends on the relationships among its parts, therefore complex natural structures/systems can be analyzed to determine how they function. (MS-LS1-2)

Learning Target 1:

Students will come up with a list of criteria or characteristics that can be used to determine whether an object is living or non-living.

Success Criteria 1:

The list of criteria or characteristics can be applied to all living things.

Learning Target 2:

Identify living things according to their structures and the functions they perform.

Success Criteria 2:

Classify living things, plants and animals, and compare their classifications to biological classification (taxonomy). Give examples of the taxonomic classification of living things and use their genus and species as the Scientific Name (binomial nomenclature).

Learning Target 3:

Students will be able to explain how structure informs function.

Success Criteria 3:

Correctly give examples of different living things and how their structures determine their functions (can be cellular or body part structures).

Learning Target 4:

Students can describe how a cell is the basic unit of living things and describe how cells function.

Success Criteria 4:

Students show understanding of what a cell is and how cells function. At a basic level of understanding students can describe what certain organelles, such as nucleus, mitochondria, chloroplasts, and vacuoles, do. To meet standard students can describe how the structure of DNA makes it able to copy itself and make everything the cell needs, including proteins and enzymes, and/or how the structure of the endoplasmic reticulum allows it to synthesize proteins OR how the structure of the cell membrane makes it able to perform its functions, specifically letting only certain things in and out of the cell.