Copyright (c) 2015 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

All Things Quebec

Article posted January 19, 2015 at 09:19 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 9480

Article posted January 11, 2015 at 08:21 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 6096

Teaching Children the Value of Reading Infographic
Find more education infographics on e-Learning Infographics

Article posted January 1, 2015 at 09:49 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 7255

Know Your File Types: When to Use JPEG, GIF, & PNG - Via Who Is Hosting This: The Blog

Source: WhoIsHostingThis.com

Article posted December 1, 2014 at 03:42 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 60529

Thanks to Julian's mom for sharing this video:

How is that battery going through the copper wire? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment.

Article posted November 20, 2014 at 08:52 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 5099

Standards:

MS-PS3-4. Plan an investigation to determine the relationships among the energy transferred, the type of matter, the mass, and the change in the average kinetic energy of the particles as measured by the temperature of the sample. [Clarification Statement: Examples of experiments could include comparing final water temperatures after different masses of ice melted in the same volume of water with the same initial temperature, the temperature change of samples of different materials with the same mass as they cool or heat in the environment, or the same material with different masses when a specific amount of energy is added.] [Assessment Boundary: Assessment does not include calculating the total amount of thermal energy transferred.]

PS3.A: Definitions of Energy

Motion energy is properly called kinetic energy; it is proportional to the mass of the moving object and grows with the square of its speed. (MS-PS3-1)

PS3.B: Conservation of Energy and Energy Transfer

When the motion energy of an object changes, there is inevitably some other change in energy at the same time. (MS-PS3-5)

PS3.C: Relationship Between Energy and Forces

When two objects interact, each one exerts a force on the other that can cause energy to be transferred to or from the object. (MS-PS3-2)

Systems and System Models

Models can be used to represent systems and their interactions – such as inputs, processes, and outputs – and energy and matter flows within systems. (MS-PS3-2)

Learning Target 1:

Describe what it takes to build a battery and explain how a rechargeable battery system uses electrical energy to power a light bulb and an electric motor.

Success Criteria 1:

You can describe the parts of a battery. You can describe the different energy transfers when a battery is charging, when a battery is connected to a light bulb, and when a battery is connected to an electric motor.

Learning Target 2:

Describe force and be able to explain how forces and energy work together.

Success Criteria 2:

Can accurately describe what a force is and give examples of different forces. Can correctly explain the difference between forces and energy as well as how they interact.

Learning Target 3:

Explain what Work and Power are and how they are calculated.

Success Criteria 3:

Can accurately explain the scientific definition of Work and Power as well as calculate the work required to move an object a certain distance as well as the power required to move it.

Article posted October 1, 2014 at 08:14 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 39310

Volcanoes Learning Target 1:

Students will be able to distinguish between different volcano types including how they differ and how they are similar and how they are formed.

Success Criteria:

Students have drawn, labeled and colored five volcano types as well as described how they are formed, their shape, and their size.

Volcanoes Learning Target 2:

Students will be able to distinguish between four different types of lava and match lava types to the five different volcano types.

Success Criteria:

Draw, color, label and describe each of the four lava types describing how the water and silica content affects how the lava acts.

Volcanoes Learning Target 3:

Match the five volcano types, four lava types and to the four different eruption types.

Success Criteria:

Students can defend the reasons why they chose to match a certain volcano type to a lava type to an eruption type.

6th grade Volcano Unit Learning Goal based on the following standard (NGSS MS-ESS2 Earth's Systems):

"Students who demonstrate understanding can:

Construct an explanation based on evidence for how geoscience processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales.

Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on how processes change Earth’s surface at time and spatial scales that can be large (such as slow plate motions or the uplift of large mountain ranges) or small (such as rapid landslides or microscopic geochemical reactions), and how many geoscience processes (such as earthquakes, volcanoes, and meteor impacts) usually behave gradually but are punctuated by catastrophic events. Examples of geoscience processes include surface weathering and deposition by the movements of water, ice, and wind. Emphasis is on geoscience processes that shape local geographic features, where appropriate."

We are going to focus on the volcano parts of the above standard. Here is a proficiency scale to help students assess themselves on the standard:

Article posted October 1, 2014 at 08:06 PM GMT-7 •