Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Huzzah
Blogs by the Sea
Mr. Miller's Class Blog
Making Waves in 6th Grade
Broadbent Blues

EVAPORATION
Evaporation is when warmth from the sun causes water from lakes,streams,ice,rivers and soils to turn into water vapor in the air.Also all of the precipited water (80 percent)goes rite back to the air because of evaporation.The rest of the water runs off the land or soaks into the ground to become ground water.In other words (if you couldn't understand that) the water that is on the ground turns into water vapor.Then it turns into cloud the more water vapor that gathers it gets heavyer.Soon it can't travel very easy so it rains.

WATER VAPOR
Water vaporis water in a gas form that is held in the air until it changes back to water.You know in the summer when it is sticky outside-that's just water held in the air.The water can change into fine droplets by"condensing" in the air,and we get clouds.When droplets are big enough they are pulled to the earth by gravity as precipitation.Or better known as rain,sleet,snow,hail,dew or frost.So it's gravitys fault that cold and wet stuff is brought down to the earth.

PRECIPITATION
Precipitation is made of any type of water that falls into the earth like snow,hIl,mist or rain.In Wisconsin they get about 30-32 inches of precipitation each year.Most os it (80 perecent)evaporates or transpires through plants and never reaches lakes,streams or ground water.The rest about 6-10 inches of precipitation runs off into streams,lakes,wetlands,or rivers or it soaks right into the ground.For every inch of water that runs off the land and inot surface water 3 inches seep into the ground to the water table in southern Wisconson.In the middle of the state where they have sandy soil,9 inches of waterseep in the ground for every one inch that runs off the land and into surface water.By thewaythis is based on wisconisin so you don't mix it up.Hey I had to use somewhere for an example.

TRANSPIRATION
Transpiration happens when plants give off water vapor through tiny pores in their leaves.This is the plants way of getting rid of waste.Just like people and animals sweat in hot weather!This water vapor evaporates into the air and is stored in the atmosphere until it becomes clouds or precipitation.Well that is somerging new=http://

CONDENSATION
Condensation is the opposite of evaporation.It takes place in the air condenses from a gas,back into a liquid form.Then leaves from the atmospherreturning to the surface of the Earth.Usually in order for it to take place the atmosphere must be fully saturated.In other words the maximum vapor pressure must have been reached.In addition to beingsaturated the nature of water requires that their be a surface upon which water can condense.The surface could be blades of grass or windows.In the condensation often takes place around dust particles ir other particles suchas smoke and even microscopic bacteria.

ENERGY
SUNSHINE-The sun shines on water in rivers,lakes,streams,wetlands and oceans and makes the water warmer.This turns the water into vapor or steam.The water vapor leaves the lake or ocean or river and goes into the air,to become a cloud.
EVAPORATION-Evapporation is when the sun heats up water in a lake or river or ocean and turns it into water vapor or steam.The water vapor or steam leaves the river or lake or ocean and goes into the air,to become a cloud.
RAIN-When the temperature is warm clouds get so fill of water that it starts to rain.The rain falls onot the land and runs into streams or rivers,runs into lakes or oceans.Some rain that falls soaks into the ground and stays there until plants drink it or until it goes deep enough that it is called ground water and goes into people's wells.
SNOW-Snow is just like rain except it falls when the air is cold like in late fall or winter.Snow usually stays on top of the ground until it melts and becomes water then runs into streams or rivers.Some of the water from the melted snow goes into the ground for plants and people to drink.
STREAMS AND RIVERS- Rivers and streams carry water into the ocean.They sometimes carry water from a long way away.The Mississippi River carries water from Minnesota and Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.When it is warm the water in the rivers or streams heats up and leaves the rivers or streams and becomes vapor or steam then becomes a cloud.
OCEANS-Oceans are like really big lakes.Rivers and streams carry all the water that comes from rain and melted snow into oceans.Qhen the water gets into the oceans it mixes and becomes salty.When the sun shines the water warms up and turns into vapor whitch becomes a cloud.Most of the water on earth is in oceans.
MOUNTAINS AND ICE-Some of the snow that falls onto the mountains stays there for a lomg time cause it is so cold on the top of the mountains.This snow can turn into ice and sometimes even glaciers.Aniw and ice on the top of mountains can some times stay on the top of mountains for hundreds of years till it finally melt down and into streams and rivers.

GROUND WATER-Ground water is simly water under the ground where soil is completely filled or saturated with water.This water is also an "aquifer."Ground water moves underground from areas where the elevation is high like a hilltop to places that are lowland areas.water movement is slow.It could have anywhere from one millimeter to a mile each day.Where the water table meets the ground a spring might bubble or seep from the ground and flow into to a lake,river,stream,wegland.Grouns water that meets the land surface also helps keep rivers,streams,lakes and wetlands filled with water.

Article posted December 6, 2011 at 03:46 PM • comment • Reads 98 • see all articles

Period 1
Period 2
Period 3

I started my teaching career in South Central Los Angeles teaching in modified to full bilingual 4th and 5th grade classes. Then I moved to WA State where I have taught mainly 6th through 8th grade. I have enjoyed the culture clash but notice that kids are the same everywhere :o)

My areas of interest are science and technology but I also love studying ancient cultures and learning about different peoples and cultures.

Mr. G's Other Blog

About Mr. G

Captain González
Captain Gonzalez