Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Huzzah
Blogs by the Sea
Mr. Miller's Class Blog
Making Waves in 6th Grade
Broadbent Blues
Fascinating Phenology

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 04:05 PM GMT-7 • comment (3) • Reads 530

Our amazing water quality project has come to an end. Students have been busy the last few weeks sharing presentations of their work with each other, writing final conclusion blogs (#comments4kids), and self-assessing their understandings of the Science standards that most closely fit our project.

Since we are beginning a completely different unit studying physical science students who are not done with any of the above can access any of it from home to finish. Their goal is to have all this work done by March 28 for student-led conferences! Parents don't forget that you can see what we're doing in Science by visiting my HW/Daily work site.

Chimacum Creek, both Forks and Mouth.

Here is a picture of the Pacific Northwest Peninsula. We find it on a map of WA state by looking for the peninsula that looks like a dragon. The dragon's head is where Port Townsend can be found while just south of there, where the heart of the dragon would be, we find Chimacum and Port Hadlock and Port Ludlow. On this image you can see the two forks of our creek. It's the west fork that passes through our campus so that is the one that we get all our data from.

Slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, both forks, as they lead to the mouth.

This image is a zoomed in view of the first image. This one allows a slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, including both the West and East Forks.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 01:51 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 91

My job is dizzolved oxygen wich is the long term for D.O. And dizzolved oxygen is what fish breathe.The best levels are 5.0 and up to at least 18.0 anything below or above is a form of polution .Our hear average is 8.125 and thats great!

PH is short for positive hydrogen and the years average was 6 and that means good! Once again the levels are good .

Turbitity means how clear the water is and the years average is 44.7 and that means its good! Wich is the types time ive wrote so chimucum creek must be good.

Nitrates is a mix of one nitrogen molecule and three oxygen molecules and the years average was 0.3 that means its good man ! This creek is good .

Ammonia is a gas wich can kill alot of fish wich is sad :(

The year average is 1.6 wich is impossible because we've seem fish and this level would mean the fish would be dead see!

Flow rate is the flow of the creek and it's to find the speed of the creek and the speed is 1,972. If it's too fast and too slow it's bad.

Tempurtere is too find the tempature of the creek .If the tempature is too hot or too cold the fishes will die .the year average isn27*c which is alright .

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:26 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 43

Roses are red, violets are blue, our creek is clean, clear, and cool. Nitrates, Ph and others like DO, lead us to one thing that all of us know. Chimacum Creek is doing great, so jump off your chair and celebrate!!!

That's right Chimacum Creek is absolutely great! If you don't believe so, I'll prove it to you. All the sixth graders in Chimacum divided into water quality jobs and gathered this data:

DO ( disolved oxygen ) average= 8.125 mg/l which is not too high or too low

Ph ( positive hydrogen ) average= 6 which means that our creek is almost pure but slightly acidic.

Turbidity average= 44.7 NTU which means our creek is clear.

Nitrates average= 0.3 mg/l which means that there is enough nitrates for algae to grow but not enough for fish to be effected.

Ammonium average= 1.6 mg/l which is the only average here that is bad.

Flow rate average= 1972.8 gal/s which is slow enough for fish to rest but fast enough for the algae to not grow super big.

Temperature average= 31.13 dergrees F which means the creek is cool. ( As in cold ).

This data proves that Chimacum Creek is doing well. And if this still doesn't convince you, that data is backed by our benthic macros research.

Jac and Aliina from the North Pacific Salmon Collition brought in water samples from the creek that had a bunch of bugs in it. A tool on the moodle showed us a chart of what bugs are tolerant and sensitive. We identified many mayflies which are very sensitive. That means that our creek is clean enough to be home to very sensitive bugs.

So, all of this years water quality research has totally paid off, it lets us know that Chimacum Creek is doing awesome. But, just because we know that the creek is clean and healthy, doesn't mean we can take it lightly. We still need to make sure it stays clean. So please stop doing anything that might pollute it, even litering on land can effect the creek.

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 48

This is the nitrates data that the nitrates people all the way from 2002 through 2011 gathered. It takes a pretty big drop at the begining, then it stays the same for a while, and then takes a huge incline. This tells us that the nitrates level has dropped and risen over the past 10 years.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 02:05 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 48

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:23 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 67

this is about our creek. our creek is doing ok but befor i tell you most of it you better read the rest..

What is this year’s average D.O.?

8.125 millileters per second 

What does that mean about our creek’s D.O. levels?

It is good for the Creek. The more sun light the more Oxygen is in the water. Also once oxygen touches the water airflowes and and oxygen is made in water. Enething above 10.0 of air that gets into the water ,causes water pollution. What is this year’s average pH? 6  mg / L

What does that mean about our creek’s pH levels?

0 is the lowest and 14 is also bad because it is to high,alcoline.

7 Is a good number of Sitick in the water. What ever the number is. Our body has ph in it. The amount of ph in our body is 

the number grater then it is 10 times the amount of Sitic. We want to drink water that has 7 ph in it that is nutral and good. If there is more H’s it is a Sitic. P h means positive hydrogen. If you put lemon juice and bleach nutralizis it.

What is this year’s average turbidity?

44.7 N.T.U. millileters per second

What does that mean about our creek’s turbidity levels?

Turbidity is the difference between clear water and durty water.

If the pond is dirty it has more turbidity the clearer it is the less turbidity in the pond it has less. When the water is clear it is good. N.T.U. stands for Nephelometric turbidity units.

0-50 = pretty good. 

What is this year’s average nitrate level?     0.3    mg / L   

What does that mean about our creek’s nitrates levels?The nitragin cycle can start at eney point. No2 means unstable and that is bad. No3 means stable and that is good.

There are to stages of ntaragin stable and unstable low nitragin levels are good but higher then 0.5 is bad. you want higher then 0. to be good. this years level of chimicum creek is 0.3. air has 75% of nitrates.

what is this years average ammonium level?

1.6 ????????  0.02

what does that mean about our creek's ammonium levels?

Ammonium is made of nitrates and hygergin. Ammonium makes a grait cleaning tool when mixed in water.

it takes 1.4 to make the animal who drank the ammonium sick. poop and food can cause nitrogen, and you dont want to much nitrigen

most people are exposed to gas by filling up the tank in your car and that is bad for you because it has ammonium in it.

to much ammonium can disenigrate a fish part by part. there is no good number for ammonium.

what is this years average of flow rate?