Copyright (c) 2014 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

Huzzah
Blogs by the Sea
Mr. Miller's Class Blog
Making Waves in 6th Grade
Broadbent Blues
Fascinating Phenology

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 04:05 PM GMT-7 • comment (3) • Reads 483

Our amazing water quality project has come to an end. Students have been busy the last few weeks sharing presentations of their work with each other, writing final conclusion blogs (#comments4kids), and self-assessing their understandings of the Science standards that most closely fit our project.

Since we are beginning a completely different unit studying physical science students who are not done with any of the above can access any of it from home to finish. Their goal is to have all this work done by March 28 for student-led conferences! Parents don't forget that you can see what we're doing in Science by visiting my HW/Daily work site.

Chimacum Creek, both Forks and Mouth.

Here is a picture of the Pacific Northwest Peninsula. We find it on a map of WA state by looking for the peninsula that looks like a dragon. The dragon's head is where Port Townsend can be found while just south of there, where the heart of the dragon would be, we find Chimacum and Port Hadlock and Port Ludlow. On this image you can see the two forks of our creek. It's the west fork that passes through our campus so that is the one that we get all our data from.

Slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, both forks, as they lead to the mouth.

This image is a zoomed in view of the first image. This one allows a slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, including both the West and East Forks.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 01:51 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 90

My job is dizzolved oxygen wich is the long term for D.O. And dizzolved oxygen is what fish breathe.The best levels are 5.0 and up to at least 18.0 anything below or above is a form of polution .Our hear average is 8.125 and thats great!

PH is short for positive hydrogen and the years average was 6 and that means good! Once again the levels are good .

Turbitity means how clear the water is and the years average is 44.7 and that means its good! Wich is the types time ive wrote so chimucum creek must be good.

Nitrates is a mix of one nitrogen molecule and three oxygen molecules and the years average was 0.3 that means its good man ! This creek is good .

Ammonia is a gas wich can kill alot of fish wich is sad :(

The year average is 1.6 wich is impossible because we've seem fish and this level would mean the fish would be dead see!

Flow rate is the flow of the creek and it's to find the speed of the creek and the speed is 1,972. If it's too fast and too slow it's bad.

Tempurtere is too find the tempature of the creek .If the tempature is too hot or too cold the fishes will die .the year average isn27*c which is alright .

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:26 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 43

Roses are red, violets are blue, our creek is clean, clear, and cool. Nitrates, Ph and others like DO, lead us to one thing that all of us know. Chimacum Creek is doing great, so jump off your chair and celebrate!!!

That's right Chimacum Creek is absolutely great! If you don't believe so, I'll prove it to you. All the sixth graders in Chimacum divided into water quality jobs and gathered this data:

DO ( disolved oxygen ) average= 8.125 mg/l which is not too high or too low

Ph ( positive hydrogen ) average= 6 which means that our creek is almost pure but slightly acidic.

Turbidity average= 44.7 NTU which means our creek is clear.

Nitrates average= 0.3 mg/l which means that there is enough nitrates for algae to grow but not enough for fish to be effected.

Ammonium average= 1.6 mg/l which is the only average here that is bad.

Flow rate average= 1972.8 gal/s which is slow enough for fish to rest but fast enough for the algae to not grow super big.

Temperature average= 31.13 dergrees F which means the creek is cool. ( As in cold ).

This data proves that Chimacum Creek is doing well. And if this still doesn't convince you, that data is backed by our benthic macros research.

Jac and Aliina from the North Pacific Salmon Collition brought in water samples from the creek that had a bunch of bugs in it. A tool on the moodle showed us a chart of what bugs are tolerant and sensitive. We identified many mayflies which are very sensitive. That means that our creek is clean enough to be home to very sensitive bugs.

So, all of this years water quality research has totally paid off, it lets us know that Chimacum Creek is doing awesome. But, just because we know that the creek is clean and healthy, doesn't mean we can take it lightly. We still need to make sure it stays clean. So please stop doing anything that might pollute it, even litering on land can effect the creek.

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 47

This is the nitrates data that the nitrates people all the way from 2002 through 2011 gathered. It takes a pretty big drop at the begining, then it stays the same for a while, and then takes a huge incline. This tells us that the nitrates level has dropped and risen over the past 10 years.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 02:05 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 48

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:23 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 64

this is about our creek. our creek is doing ok but befor i tell you most of it you better read the rest..

What is this year’s average D.O.?

8.125 millileters per second 

What does that mean about our creek’s D.O. levels?

It is good for the Creek. The more sun light the more Oxygen is in the water. Also once oxygen touches the water airflowes and and oxygen is made in water. Enething above 10.0 of air that gets into the water ,causes water pollution. What is this year’s average pH? 6  mg / L

What does that mean about our creek’s pH levels?

0 is the lowest and 14 is also bad because it is to high,alcoline.

7 Is a good number of Sitick in the water. What ever the number is. Our body has ph in it. The amount of ph in our body is 

the number grater then it is 10 times the amount of Sitic. We want to drink water that has 7 ph in it that is nutral and good. If there is more H’s it is a Sitic. P h means positive hydrogen. If you put lemon juice and bleach nutralizis it.

What is this year’s average turbidity?

44.7 N.T.U. millileters per second

What does that mean about our creek’s turbidity levels?

Turbidity is the difference between clear water and durty water.

If the pond is dirty it has more turbidity the clearer it is the less turbidity in the pond it has less. When the water is clear it is good. N.T.U. stands for Nephelometric turbidity units.

0-50 = pretty good. 

What is this year’s average nitrate level?     0.3    mg / L   

What does that mean about our creek’s nitrates levels?The nitragin cycle can start at eney point. No2 means unstable and that is bad. No3 means stable and that is good.

There are to stages of ntaragin stable and unstable low nitragin levels are good but higher then 0.5 is bad. you want higher then 0. to be good. this years level of chimicum creek is 0.3. air has 75% of nitrates.

what is this years average ammonium level?

1.6 ????????  0.02

what does that mean about our creek's ammonium levels?

Ammonium is made of nitrates and hygergin. Ammonium makes a grait cleaning tool when mixed in water.

it takes 1.4 to make the animal who drank the ammonium sick. poop and food can cause nitrogen, and you dont want to much nitrigen

most people are exposed to gas by filling up the tank in your car and that is bad for you because it has ammonium in it.

to much ammonium can disenigrate a fish part by part. there is no good number for ammonium.

what is this years average of flow rate?

1972.8 gallons / second

what does that mean about our creeks flow rate?

the water can get 1 meter high. the water gets a meter high some times because it rains and the season. if the water is going to fast, that causes the fish to have a strugle  to make it up river. if the water speed is to slow algee grows and wipes out the fish.

this years average of water temp is?

37.35       millileters per second

what does that mean about our creek? 

that means it is good you want 40.00 to be awesome. if the water temp gets to high the eggs bounce around and die. if the water temp gets to cold  the eggs will freese and we will have lost a life cycle.

how did the water temperature compare to the air? the water temp is 37.35 and the air temp is 44.7 degrease F

the difference is only 8.28. degrease F

by samuel 

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 02:21 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 88

What is this years average for D.O.well it is 8.125.the more

Sunlight the more oxygen is in the water.

Once oxygen touches the water airflows oxygen is made in the water=http://!! Anything above 10.0 creates water pollution. Oh and this years average is 6=http://!!

P.h.

the lowest ph.level is 0. 14 is bad because it is just thst high. is a deasent number.The number greater then ten is the amount of sitric. This years average in ph.is 44.8 ntu.

Turbididty-

Turbididtys average this year is 44.7 ntu. wich means our creek is a little low on turbididty. But low turbididty we kinda want beacause if it is high then our creek is muddy. but low makes our creek a really clear pretty creek.

ammonium-

this yeasr average is 1.6 wich means our creek isnt good with ammonium. the best is 0.0 the higher the worse lower the better (wich we want)

flowrate- the average for this years flowrate is 1972 gps. that is actually pretty good because fish can actually swim and rest in the water.if the water was going to fast then fish wouldnt be able to swim (wich would kill them)

tempature-

average for this year is 37.13f and that means our creek is clean and cold for the fish. the water tempature is 37.133 and compared to the air tempature is 44.35 so the air temp is colder than the water=http://

that is the end of water qualitie!!!!

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 02:20 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 60

The question is... How is Chimacum creek doing? Well read on and find out!

TEMPERATURE

What is this years average temp?

Water: 37.13 (f)

Air: 44.35 (f)

What does this mean about our creek?

It means that out creek temperature is pretty good.

D.O (dissolved oxygen)

What is this years average d.o?

It is 8.125

What does this mean about our creeks?

It means that it good, if it's over 10.0 it bad but if it's above 5.0 and below 10.0 it's good.

pH (positive hydrogen)

What is this years average pH?

6

What does that mean about our creek?

It means that it's not very acidic, and that's good.

7 is neutral and six is below that so sow I'd pretty good.

TURBIDITY

What is this years turgidity level?

44.7 n.t.u's

What does this mean about our creek?

It means our creeks turbidity levels is good.

Turbidity is measured in N.T.U's ( nephelometric turbidity units.) Turbidity is how clear our creek is.

NITRATES

What is this years average Nitrate level?

It is 0.3

What does that mean about our creek?

It means that it's good.

AMMONIUM

What is this years average Ammonium level?

1.6 mg/ l

What does that mean about our creek?

That means that our creeks Ammonium levels are bad.

Ammonium is measured in milligrams per litter.

FLOW RATE

What is this years average flow rate level?

1,972 gallons per second

What does that mean about our creek?

It means that it's good.

Creek jobs

Dissolved oxygen ( D.O)

pH (positive hydrogen)

Turbidity

Nitrates

Ammonium

Flow Rate

Temperature.

The miro-invertebrates (bugs) that live in our creek isn't very tolerant to pollution so our creek is doing good. It has a score of 21.

If you want our creek to keep doing better please don't pollut in it.

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:08 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 48

I think the creek is doing good. Because it has mostly good averages. But it also has some bad averages.

D.O.

Dissolved Oxygen.

D.O. average is 8.125 mg/L. which is good for are creek.

P.H.

Positive Hydrogen.

the average is 6. That is a good average for positive hydrogen for the Chimicum creek.

Turbidity

The average for turbidity is 44.7 NTU. Which is also good for the creek.

Nitrates

The average is .3 mg/L. This is also a good for are creek.

Ammonium

The average is 1.6 mg/L. Which is like the only bad average.

Flow Rate

The flow rate average is 1972.836884336 gallons per second. And that is good for are creek.

Temperature

The average is 37.13 Fahrenheit. Is also good for our creek.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 02:18 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 66

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:03 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 54

First we learned about macros. We discovered our creek was healthy without much pollution when we found out that pollution intolerant bugs were living in our creek! Next we

took a deeper look into water pollution, I learned that there are lots of kinds of water pollution! After that we learned about the salmon life cycle. I learned that there are 7 cycles the

salmon go through egg, alevin, fry, parr, smolt, adult, and spawner. After all that learning we went down to our creek to see  how it was doing! We tested D.O, Ph, Flow rate,                    Nitrates,Temp,Turb, and Amnonia.With all of our data we learned our creek was doing good in all areas. And remember...DON'T POLLUTE OUR CREEK! 

We know our creeks D.O is doing well because we got an 8.125 mg/L and we wanted between 5.0 - 10.0. pH is doing well too because we wanted between 5.5-8 and we got a 6! Turbidity is also doing well because we wanted between 0-50 and we got a 44.7 ntu. Nitrates is doing good too because we want below a 1.0 and we got a .3 mg/L! We did not get a good score but...We know our creek is doing good in the ammonia department because we have fish living in our creek and pollution intolerant macros! Flow rate was my job this year and we got 1972 gallons per second into our creek and this amount of water is good for our creek because of the size and we know fish can rest and the creek is still flowing like a champ. Temp also did a good job this year with a average of 37.1 F, we wanted between 32 and 40 F.                                                                                                                                                               

So over all Chimacum Creek is doing BAD HORRIBLE NOT GOOD AT ALL.... Just kidding! Our creek is doing awesome! :) But to keep it this way we need to do things like NOT litter, NOT put things in the creek, or NOT put any other gross yucky stuff into our creek because that can affect our fish, macros, and even ourselves if we pollute too much.... Just think... Would you like to be living in gross garbage and stuff like that? I would not... 

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 01:54 PM GMT-7 • comment (2) • Reads 55

This is the slide show for flow rate that my partner and I made!

Hope you like it! :)

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 02:17 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 51

All of the blog articles that i have done for science,have led to this one.Water quality,creek jobs,water pollution,etc etc.so,heres what i figured out.......

WATER QUALITY

water quality is like the creek jobs,but it is how water is doing as in just water.The levels of toxins,acids,etc etc.this is partly why we went down to the creek!

CREEK JOBS

the creek jobs are testing the levels of amnonia,turbidity,nitrates,dissolved oxygen,and more.we used tools to go down to the creek and test the water.I was turbidity which is the testing of cloudiness and clearness of water.So,we just check for the cloudiness because sometimes thatmeans that there are acids or dead plants in the water.

WATER POLLUTION

water pollution sorta ties in with the creek jobs.because some of the ways to get water polluted is some of the things we are testing for.like acids,amnonia,etc.it can be caused by fertilizer leaking in the water,sewage,garbage,and toxic chemicals.

HOW IS CHIMACUM CREEK DOING??

chimacum creek is doing very very well because all the levels of things like turbidity,dissolved oxygen,etc...exept for amnonia which is bad for the water and makes it polluted.the high level was thought to be a mistake tho.....

okay here are the creek lvls

D.O

D.Os average for this year is 8.125 MLG/L.this is good because it means our creek  doesnt have to much D.O and it doesnt have  to little D.O.

Nitrates

Nitrates average for this year is 0.3 mg/l this is good because if our creek has too much nitrates,the alge and the other plants will grow too much.

Turbidity-meh job!!!!

turbiditys average this year is 44.7 NTUs.this is relatively low and that is good for our creek because that means our water is clear.If the was is high in turbidity,that means that the water is muddy,foggy,or just unclear.if the water is foggy,that could mean that our water has acids,dead plants,mud,or something that is bad for our water.

PH

the average this year for ph is 6.this is great for our creek because if it is under seven it is acidic.if it is over seven t is alcoline.

Ammonia

the average level for ammonia this year is 1.6...this is the one that mr.g thinks is likely a mistake because it is very high and it means our creek is very high in ammonia and all the other levels are great.

Flow Rate 

1972 GPS is the average flow rate for this year.this is good for our creek because if the flow rate is to  fast then the fish cant rest and then they would be very tired.but he level is good because the fish can rest and they wont get pulled with the stream.

Temperature

the temperature level this year is good.37.13 F.this is good because if iti is too hot then the fish eggs would overheat.if it was too cold,they would freeze.

Article posted February 27, 2012 at 02:21 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 61

My recent blogs have been about the Chimacum creek. This blog is going to put all that info into one blog.

Nitrates:The average for Nitrates is 0.3mg/L.That means that our creek is doing good because it is not above 1.0mg/L. If there is too much nitrate in the water then the algae and bacteria will grow and then fish will die.If there is no algae and bacteria then that will be good for the algae part but the bacteria part will be bad because the bacteria makes the corpses go away.

DO:The average for this year is 8.125mg/L. That number means that are creeks D.O. levels are good because it’s not below 5.0 and it’s not above 10.0.D.O. means Dissolved Oxygen.

Ph:The average for this year is 6.It means that the creek is doing really good. It is good because it is not exactly 7 and it's not close to 14 or 0. Ph means Positive Hydrogen. If it is below 7 then it is acidic but if it is above 7 then it is alcoline.

Turbidity:The average for this year is 44.7NTU. That means our creek is low on turbidity. We want low turbidity because if it's high then our creek is muddy but if it's low then we have clear water.

Ammonium:The average for this is 1.6 but that is not likely but that is what we got.It means that our creek is bad with ammonia. The best ammonia is 0.0 and the higher the worse.

Flow Rate:The average for this year is 1972GPS. That is good because fish can rest in the water and it’s not going to slow because there is no algae. If it goes too fast then the fish can't rest.

Temperature:The average for this year is 37.13F. That mans that our creek is clean and cool for the fish so in other words, it’s GREAT! The water temperature (37.13) compares to the air temperature (44.35) this year because the water temperature is colder than the air temperature.

Now ya have it folks. Our creek is doing great, now when ever you drive over it you can say "We just drove over a healthy creek.

This is me at the creek!!!!

[LINK]

Article posted February 14, 2012 at 06:03 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 54

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per5/g8/Picture%201.png

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 01:56 PM GMT-7 • comment (1) • Reads 55

Article posted February 17, 2012 at 02:10 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 56

This is D.O levels from 2002-2012. D.O. Is measured by mg per liter.

Article posted February 9, 2012 at 02:15 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 123

This is a graph about D.O. For 2011-2012

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:06 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 109

For water quality we learned about microinvertebrates. Then we learned about the salmon life cycle.then we learmed about chimacum creek and water quality.

In microinvertebrates I learned that there in our creek and there is intolerant and tolerant to pollution. In salmon I learned the cycle. It starts with eggs, then alevin, then fry, then parr, then smolt, then adult, then spawning adult.

For chimacum creek I was D.O. We measure D.O. by mg/L. We got a scrore of 8.125. And thats gooood! pH is good too we got a 6 which is in acidic. Turbitys average is 44.7 NTU.

Nitrates average is 0.3 mg/L. Ammonium average is 1.6 but thats impossible because its really bad. Flow rates average is 1972.8. Temperatures average for water is 37.1 and the air is 44.7. Our creek is doimg really good because they are good averages.

So yes, our creek is doing really good! Please dont spit, litter, or pollute our creek! It is our creek and we have to take care of it!

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 01:42 PM GMT-7 • comment (2) • Reads 112

This is a slideshow for D.O

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:26 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 55

pH

Acitic= Anything lower than 7 in the pH scale. What is this years average pH? Around 6. What does that mean about our pH? It means we have great pH!!

pH means: positive hydrogen.

Turbidity

Nephelometic turbidity units= NTU

0-50's NTU= good turbidity.

100 NTU's- fish suffer stress.

1,000 NTU's- fish die in days.

This years average for turbidity is 24.7. What does that mean about our creeks turbidity levels? It means that our creek is doing pretty good in turbidity.

Nitrates.

What's this years average for Nitrates? Out creeks average for Nitrates is 0.3. That means our creek is doing really good!

Ammonium.

Levels that reach 0.06 mg/L fish will suffer gill damage. 0.02 mg/L sensitive fish like Trout and Salmon begin to die. Near 2.0 mg/L even ammonia-tolerant die. Ammonia levels greater than aproxamentaly 0.1 mg/L usually indicate polluted waters. This years average for ammonium is 1.6. The average for this year is really bad for our creek! Ammonium is NOT good for our creek.

Flow rate.

This years average for flow rate is 1972.8. It means it's good! We can tell because the fish and bugs are still living.

Temperature.

This years average for temperature is 37.1 and for the air is 44.4. It means our creek is doing pretty good. How did the water temperature compare to the air temperature this year? The air is 44.7 and the water is 37.1. They are much alike! They are both pretty good!:)

Bradyn

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 02:11 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 49

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 02:31 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 147

There are seven water quality jobs. Those jobs are D.O., PH, Turbidity, Ammoia, Flow Rate, Nirates, and Temperture.

D.O.(disolve oxengen):It helps fish and other living organisms in the water. If the levels too high or too low it might be polluted.

PH: PH stands for positive hidgrogen it`s good if the positive hidrogen levels are low if it`s too high then the water might be polluted.

Nritrates: nitrates are molcules that are one part nigrogon and three parts oxengen 75% of our air is nitrates it`s also good for the water quality too but at lease over 0.2 if it1s over it`s bad.

Turbidty: turbidity shows how murky the water is. if it`s too murky than the water has alot of dirt, sand, and all other stuff in the water. the murkier it is the more pollutated the water is; it`s best if it`s clear.

Ammonia: Ammonia is a clear colorless foul smelling substance that can kill all the liveing things in the water wich is bad. If it`s levels are 0.6 or 0.8 then it will cause all the fish will die.

Flow Rate: Flow Rate is to find out how fast the water is in creeks. it`s best if the flow rate is slow because if the water is ruuning fast then the baby fishies will have a difficlt time swimming up the stream and the could die.

Temperture: temperture or temp. for short. I`ts to tell how warm the water is. The fish like salmon and trout perfer cold water. if ot`s warmer then they could die. the average temperture is 27 degrees c ( 31.13 degrees f)

Now you know how we figure out if the water is polluted or not. :-)

Article posted February 28, 2012 at 02:19 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 106

Have you ever heard of water quality? Water Quatlity is all the stuff thats in the water and water quality jobs is when you test the water to see if it`s polluted or bad for fish. My water quality job is Temp.(temperture) like if it`s too hot the eggs in the water is not gonna hach and if it`s too cold the eggs will freeze. Ether way the egg would die. Also fish need a different Temp. because there cold blooded(that means there body temperture changes to the same temp. to the habitat.) most fish like salmon will want cold water. And because of global warming the temperture of the water is riseing not just the land. Remember 75% of the earth is water and 1% is drinkable and use for everyday chores. So please take care of our planets water and please don`t drink the water if it`s not clean trust me.

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 02:06 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 52

HOW IS CHIMACUM CREEK DOING?

Dissolved Oxygen

What is this year’s average D.O.?

8.125

That means that there is a good level of DO that is not too high and not too low.

pH

What is this year’s average pH?

This year’s average PH is 6

That means our creek is slightly acidic.

Turbidity

What is this year’s average turbidity?

It is 44.7 NTU

It means that the creek turbidity level is very clean and grt for fish.

Nitrates