Copyright (c) 2015 by Alfonso Gonzalez Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Alfonso Gonzalez -- Blogmeister

Chimacum's Science Blogs-

Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes

by Alfonso Gonzalez

All Things Quebec

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 04:05 PM GMT-7 • comment (3) • Reads 792

Our amazing water quality project has come to an end. Students have been busy the last few weeks sharing presentations of their work with each other, writing final conclusion blogs (#comments4kids), and self-assessing their understandings of the Science standards that most closely fit our project.

Since we are beginning a completely different unit studying physical science students who are not done with any of the above can access any of it from home to finish. Their goal is to have all this work done by March 28 for student-led conferences! Parents don't forget that you can see what we're doing in Science by visiting my HW/Daily work site.

Chimacum Creek, both Forks and Mouth.

Here is a picture of the Pacific Northwest Peninsula. We find it on a map of WA state by looking for the peninsula that looks like a dragon. The dragon's head is where Port Townsend can be found while just south of there, where the heart of the dragon would be, we find Chimacum and Port Hadlock and Port Ludlow. On this image you can see the two forks of our creek. It's the west fork that passes through our campus so that is the one that we get all our data from.

Slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, both forks, as they lead to the mouth.

This image is a zoomed in view of the first image. This one allows a slightly more detailed view of Chimacum Creek, including both the West and East Forks.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 07:42 PM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 102

This is a conclsion of what the last post means is that 14-10and 0-3 is very bad for fish cause if fish are exposed to this type of water their scales burn off or they just die.Our chimacum creek ph is 5.57 and this is great.    I Reomeccd  that we wacth what the ph that is in pH.   

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 09:56 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 73

Name ____Nicklas S._______________________________Date ____2-24-12_______________

How is Chimacum Creek doing?

Based on all the data you’ve looked at here what is your conclusion about how Chimacum Creek is doing? (Use examples from the data to explain what you mean and why you think so. This is NOT the place for opinion; you must have evidence to support your conclusion.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I come to the conclusion, taking out the suspected false information its seems to be good, the levels are enough to sustain fish, keep the algea low, enough to keep pollution intolerant microinvertibrates alive, so over all it does look healthy.

My parameter of water is FLOW RATE. Flow rate is the measurement of movement through a body of water. But the water comes from rain. It starts at a elevated point then goes downhill into the bodies of water (creeks and streams).

But the DO, pH, Turbitity, Nitrates, Ammonium, Flow Rate, and Temperature averages equalled a understandable conclussion that it Chimacum Creek has sustainable levels. If I could give some constructive criticism and advice to the people in the area it would be that the are doing a good job keeping the fertilizers out the creek and to keep up the good work!

-N1CK145

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 01:42 PM GMT-7 • comment (2) • Reads 163

This is a slideshow for D.O

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 09:34 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 78

DO: what are these years average DO levels:

8.125.

The oxygen in the air makes contact with water to make dissolved oxygen (do). Chimacum creek has been doing well even at a low of about 6 ppm.

PH: the average is 6.3 ph for this year.

7 is pure water 1-6 is acidic 8-14 is alkaline. When base and acid come together it makes is a balance. Ph stands for positive hydrogen. Fish like 6.5-7.

Turbitity: the average is in the 30’ of ntu’s. n.t.u stands for nephelometric turbitity units somebody might ask what turbitity is well turbitity is the difference between clear water and dirty water

Nitrogen (this is my perrmater): nitrates are important because they help the soil  and water and creatures and everything(about this).the average for this year in nitrates is 0.3 this is good because fish die in to high of nitrate and so will people mostly babys because to much nitrates can cause brown blood disease or blue baby syndrome(same thing) or Methogloblin (also the same thing).

Ammonia: This years average ammonia is 1.6. this is good because it wont kill the fish. Ammonia is very dangeros chemical thing. Ammonia can be found in many cleaning supplies. Pure Ammonia is a very very smelly colorless liquid. Eutrophication is a thing that is very bad. A thing you do not want to do is mix ammonia and bleach ( it can kill you)

Flow rate: you x length x width (in a river) to get cubic meters per second (if using that measurement) . flow rate can be important because if fish can not lay there eggs then they will die out. The average for  flow rate is 1.5934 m3/s (??????)

Temperature: water that is shallow takes shorter to warm up than deep. This years average water temp is 33.5 farenhite. The airs average is 37.5 farenhite. One of the highest temp max for fish is 97º farenhite where the fish will die L.

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 09:19 AM GMT-7 • comment • Reads 66

Water temptures are verry important because if it gets just a tad to hot alegy will grow and fish will die if it gets just a tad to cold fish will also die.

tempture is important because it governs the kinds of aqutic life that lives in the streams.

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 09:19 AM GMT-7 •