Copyright (c) 2014 by Magister Winkler Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Magister Winkler -- Blogmeister

De Lingua Latina Loquamur!

The Latin Room

by Magister Winkler

No Links added yet!

Article posted August 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 656

The June, 2012 issue of The Atlantic Magazine contains an article, entitled 'The Vietnam Solution' by Robert D. Kaplan, in which he writes about Vietnam's relationship with its neighbor China, 'I found a country seized not only ... with economic development but also with the chaallenge of finding a MODUS VIVENDI with its age-old neighbor...'

What is the literal meaning of the Latin phrase MODUS VIVENDI and describe the current relationship between these two countries.

Article posted July 13, 2012 at 08:04 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

The July 16, 2012 issue of Time Magazine contains a food report in its Culture section, entitled 'Certifiably Good' by Alice Park, in which she writes about fine dining chefs who are voluntarily using health-conscious guidelines in a '...new system ...called SPE, short for SANITAS PER ESCAM...(which) stresses not only using local, seasonal ingredients but also combining them in ways that maximize their nutritional value.'

What is the literal meaning of the Latin phrase SANITAS PER ESCAM and give 2 English words derived from the first word in this phrase.

The April 2, 2012 issue of Time Magazine contains a short report in its Culture section, entitled 'Poor Taste: Bobblehead Blunder', in which a bobblehead doll of John Wilkes Booth had been for sale at the Gettysburg gift shop, but was removed from the shelves since it was found to be in bad taste. The article concludes, though, 'But collectors need not fret; the doll is still available online for $19.95. SIC SEMPER IDIOTIS.'

What is the literal meaning of the Latin phrase SIC SEMPER IDIOTIS and to what Latin phrase, with what English meaning, associated with the Lincoln assassination, is it refering?

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

What 'video' means in Latin (4 letters)

The January 9th, 2012 issue of The New Yorker Magazine contains a review of several recently released books on Rome by Adam Kirsch, entitled The Empire Strikes Back; Rome and Us,in which he writes about Caligula's invasion of Britain and his troops' being'...fearful of going to a place that at that time was TERRA INCOGNITA...'

What is the English for TERRA INCOGNITA and why would such a phrase be often found on early maps of the world?

The January 9th, 2012 issue of The New Yorker Magazine contains a review of several recently released books on Rome by Adam Kirsch, entitled The Empire Strikes Back; Rome and Us,in which he writes about '...a team of oxen (used) to dig the outlines of a MURUS SANCTUS...'

What is the English for MURUS SANCTUS and in what year, according to legend, would Rome have been founded?

The January 9th, 2012 issue of The New Yorker Magazine contains a review of several recently released books on Rome by Adam Kirsch, entitled The Empire Strikes Back; Rome and Us,in which he writes about '...the first walls of the so-called ROMA QUADRATA...'

What is the English for ROMA QUADRATA and who, according to legend, erected these first walls of Rome?

-----CLOSED-----The November 7th, 2011 issue of The New Yorker Magazine contains an article on Broadway actress Nina Ariadna by John Lahr in which he writes 'In a large shoulder bag, she carried her C. V...'

What 2 Latin words does the abbreviation C.V. stand for, what is the English translation of this Latin phrase, AND what is a C.V.?

-----CLOSED-----The November 7th, 2011 issue of The New Yorker Magazine contains an article on Broadway actress Nina Ariadna by John Lahr in which he writes that '...the PROSCENIUM glowed like a department store window...'

What does the English word PROSCENIUM mean, and what does the same Latin word mean?

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda (abbrev) (3 letters)