Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just find a MIDI file online and not have to click it or play it all into GarageBand yourself?  Well, you are in luck! There are many online resources for MIDI files. If you are looking for a particular piece, you can try a search using www.google.com, e.g. typing the name of the piece followed by the words “MIDI file.” Or you could try visiting one of the following sites:

www.prs.net: more than 16,000 or so classical music files, all public domain

www.musicrobot.com: a search engine for locating pop music MIDI files on the web

www.cpdl.org: an excellent choral music public domain site with thousands of files

www.cyberhymnal.org: every major hymntune, with downloadable lyrics too.

www.midimole.com: lots of pop and classical midi files

Try finding MIDI files of the following pieces of music online. When you found a file, control-click the link to save the file (or choose "save as source" from the drop down menu at the right of the MIDI player if the MIDI player comes up.

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring

Pachelbel's Canon in D

A Mighty Fortress is Our God

The round your programmed

Any other piece of music you can think of.

***NEWS FLASH*** ***KATIE BELTZ IS A GENIUS*** One of my Music Tech students, Katie, "discovered" that if you CONTROL-CLICK a MIDI file that it will import into Garageband (i.e. DON'T "Save as Source")  Try it!  It Works!!!!

One problem I've encountered: not all MIDI files drag into GarageBand.  Some do and some don't and I think it depends on the type of MIDI file they are (Type 0 or Type 1) and how they were saved.  I've successfully converented MIDI files by importing them into my notation program and exporting them as a Type 1 MIDI file, but if you don't have Sibelius or Finale, you a forced to find MIDI files which work on Garageband by trial and error.  So try! And if it doesn't work, try another one.

Article posted October 16, 2011 at 04:25 PM • comment • Reads 146 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page