Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Title: Final Project (05/06/08)
Description: Write or record a new piece of music using the techniques you learned in this semester.

Article posted May 5, 2008 at 01:22 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 141

For my final project I was thinking all week and then it hit me when I was at my aunt's funeral actually. I want to click my favorite hymn, Amazing Grace, into Garageband and I want to add instruments into it and then find the video that I saw when I was in the break room at the funeral. The video is on world hunger and they had just silence in the video and I thought that that would be something good to add a Christian Hymn to. Then the video would have Amazing Grace as its background music.

Article posted May 23, 2008 at 10:49 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 137

For my final project I found a world hunger movie on you tube. The video needed a little work because it was a video advertising a benefit for a high school. So I cut parts of the video and made it all fit together. Then I went into Garageband and clicked in all the parts for the hymn Amazing Grace. When I had all the parts clicked in I started picking instruments for the parts. I found a couple different instruments. I used a violin for all the parts then I added an electric piano that had a heavenly sound. Then I used choir voices and added them to the alto, tenor, and bass parts. I thought I had it completed and ready to hand in. Then Mr. Witte gave me the idea that I should maybe start out with just the melody and then as the emotion progresses the parts are then added in. When I was done with that part I tried to play the song and the movie together and it didn't work. So with the help of Dion and Mr. Witte we found the problem and then it worked very well. So the final project starts out with just melody and then I added the alto parts and then tenor and then bass.

Article posted May 29, 2008 at 09:39 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 111

I took the song and put it in garage band. Then, I took it and I cut out various selections with was 5 from the original song Whoomp There It Is. After that, I played a part of one of the MJ commercials and put bells in between. I also put bells at the end and faded them out. Finally, I added all sorts of drum kits from garage band to make this version come alive. I also took one of the bass parts and played that to the song. All these were factors in making this song great.

Article posted May 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 62

For my final project my first idea was to redo our first project which was to make a song for a commercial. After I decided against this my next plan was to redo a song by Simon & Garfunkel. I chose the song Scarborough Fair. The first step was to find the sheet music online. I found it on

google. After I put in the two parts I had, Soprano and Alto, I lowered the alto an octave for the tenor and 2 octaves for the bass. At first I had all of the parts as harpsichords, but I soon changed the bass and tenor to a viola and a double bass. I left the alto as a harpsichord and changed the soprano to mixed choir. The first verse is only the soprano. the second verse starts with just soprano and alto, but two measures in the tenor and bass start. I think my project turned out really well.

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page