Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Title: Commercial Soundtrack (01/31/08)
Description: 1. Find an existing TV commercial which uses a popular song which has been edited to fit the time of the commercial.
2. Choose a different existing popular song which you can cut to fit the time of the same commercial. Bring your own music to class.
3. Assemble the project using Audacity and iMovie.
4. Write a blog entry describing
  • what your commercial was

• What the original song was

• What your new song is

• How much of the new song you used (give timings)

Article posted January 28, 2008 at 01:28 AM GMT-6 • comment (18) • Reads 212

How long is a commercial? 30 seconds? 60? Listen to commercials on tv and you will hear a lot of familiar music. One that caught my ear recently is the new Gatorade commercial with "that music from the Olympics" in it. (psst....it's called O Fortuna. It's by the composer Carl Orff. It's the first movement in his major work Carmina Burana). I don't know why, but the sports world seems to love that piece of music. (Countless others do too. Just check out all the remixes and concert performances of O Fortuna on YouTube.)

That commercial and others like it got me thinking about a new project for Music Tech class: cutting music for commercials. If you listen to the Gatorade commercial and to the original song, you can hear how much of the piece was cut and which parts were used in the commercial. It's enough to get the feel of the piece and yet it still delivers the emotional impact. (I love how the hits of the music and the hits of the video match!)

The first part of this project is to identify commercials which use cut music. Try to find two or three. Then comment to this blog entry with links to those commercials so that the whole class can look and listen to them. If you can, identify the piece of music in the commercials you pick and who the artist is.

The second part of the project is to pick one of those commercials and a new piece of music to cut to the same commercial. Try to match hits in the music with hits in the video. You'll do the cutting in Audacity. You'll supply your own piece of music. We'll use iMovie to combine the video and your new audio.

Article posted September 15, 2009 at 02:33 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 85

Well, new school year, that is...:)

This semester I have one Music Tech class of seven really smart students who have been catching on very quickly to the first project: cutting audio. For Dance Project 1 I supplied them with a piece of music ("I Like That" by Houston) and lead them through a series of steps using the free, cross-platform (meaning it works on both Macs and PCs) sound editor Audacity to cut the music from it's original length of 3:57 to 0:39.

Dance Project 2 was a similar idea, but the students got to choose their own piece of music to cut instead of me supplying them with one of mine.  The goal of Dance Project 2 was to listen more carefully to the beat of the music and to make cuts which still allowed for a steady beat.  We learned to listen for eight-counts, admittedly an idea brought over form the WLA Spirit Dance Team, to help us count beats and know where to split the music and rejoin it to make for smooth transitions.

Dance Project 3 is the final step.  The goal of this project is to take and existing commercial and to replace its soundtrack with new music, cut down from a longer song.  Once again, students selected their own commercials and music and showed them to me for approval before working on their cuts. The new part of this project is picking music which fits the content of the commercial in some way.  Students will use iMovie to put their music, which they cut in Audacity, into the commercial.

Article posted September 18, 2009 at 08:58 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 99

To complete Dance Project 3, you need to be able to synchronize an existing commercial with a mainly music soundtrack to your new soundtrack which you edited in Audacity. Here are the steps to completing The Commercial Soundtrack Project:

1. Find an existing commercial on Youtube which has very few, if any spoken tracks or other sound effects. The soundtrack should be an existing popular song or some other music.

2. Copy the URL of the commercial (either in the address bar or in the information section).

3. Go to www.keepvid.com and paste in the URL of the commercial you'd like to download from YouTube. Click Download and choose the video.mp4 option. The file will download to your downloads folder. Rename it to identify your commercial.

4. Work on your new soundtrack in Audacity. Note the length of your commercial and cut you music to that length. Make sure there is some logical, intelligent reason you chose your new music.

5. Double-clicking on your commercial will play it as a separate Quicktime movie. Until your music is fully cut and edited, play your commercial separately from Audacity, turning the sound down in the video and listening to your new soundtrack simultaneously in Audacity.

6. When you think your new soundtrack is cut and ready to be overlaid into the commercial you chose, then open iMovie and perform the following steps:

7. Import your commercial into iMovie (File>Import>Movies>Downloads) Click on "Create New Event" in the Import window and give your commercial project a unique name. Click "import". The commercial will show up in your iMovie event library.

8. Click the "+" button to add a new project. Name your commercial, choose the same aspect ratio as your original commercial was and select "none" for the theme. Click "Create" to make your commercial show up in your iMovie project library.

9. Click on the down triangle at the beginning of the clip and select "audio adjustments". Drag the slider bar for the audio volume all the way to the left until it reads 0%. Click "Done" to exit. Play your video. The existing soundtrack should be silent.

10.

Article posted September 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 99

Give a short description (a paragraph) of this project. Write in such a way that somebody who does not know anything about this class understands what you had to do. A Paragraph is at least three sentences.

Then go to YouTube and grab the embed code for both the original video and your newly created soundtrack video. Paste both into the article box.

Article posted February 5, 2008 at 02:40 PM GMT-6 • comment (10) • Reads 44

1. The commercial was a Pantene Shampoo commercial.

2. The old song in it was Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield.

3. The new song I put in was Smile by Vitamin C.

4. I used 31-43 seconds and then I used 55-1.03 seconds and then I used the last couple seconds of the end.

This is the original commercial that I had.

This is my new commercial with the song that I cut for it.

Article posted February 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM GMT-6 • comment (7) • Reads 38

I did this commerical from the original Air Force 25 commercial. It took alot of time because I took the music from the soundtrack of He Got Game written by Public Enemy and used many steps from Adacity. I had to decide what parts of this song would sound good with the commerical I used. Whether it was cutting, spilting tracks, moving tracks, or just spending many minutes listen to the tracks, it finaly got done. I hope you enjoy the new and improved Air Force 25 commerical.

This is the original commercial:

This is my new version:

Article posted February 8, 2008 at 09:26 AM GMT-6 • comment (8) • Reads 40

Here is the original commercial before any editing

My original commercial was for the Ninja Gaiden video game for the 360.

The original song was mostly background music with some random soft music

The new song that i used was a song from the movie "The Last of the Mohicans"

I used approximately 40 seconds out of about 6 and a half minutes of the total song.

Here is my commercial with the new music added

Article posted February 8, 2008 at 09:32 AM GMT-6 • comment (7) • Reads 61

This is the commercial I redid I used he song come alive from the new food fighters album. I cut out the first loop 10 and half seconds then for the second loop I cut out a min 10 through a min 20 and then I played the original loop.

This is the original commercial I used. The song was teardrop by massive attack.

Article posted February 8, 2008 at 09:02 AM GMT-6 • comment (8) • Reads 42

My commercial was a Nike basketball commercial. It showed many different basketball players showing off their freestyle dribbling skills.

There was no original song in the commercial, but there was a hip-hop beat created by the dribbling of the balls and the squeak of the players' shoes on the hardwood.

The new song I've chosen to dubb over is "Brass Monkey" by The Beastie Boys. The beat of the new song seemed to fit the commercial perfectly.

I cut the first 1:01 of my new song and just put it on my 1:01 commercial just to see if it would work, and it turned out great.

Here's the original version

And Here's the link to my version. Enjoy!

Article posted February 11, 2008 at 08:38 AM GMT-6 • comment (4) • Reads 42

The commercial that i used was called Michael Jordan "Let Your Game Speak" Nike Commercial. the original son was entitled "Let Your Game Speak" by Jonathan Elias. I did some cutting of the song "The Unforgiven", by Metallica, and inserted it into the commercial instead of the original. I used Metallica becuase they are a great band. I cut the first 56 seconds of the song, the I cut bits and pieces out of that and reordered them around to come up with the new music for this commercial.

This was the original commercial:

This version has my music editing:

Article posted February 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM GMT-6 • comment (11) • Reads 44

This is the original Gap commercial with ACDC's "Back In Black".

This is the commercial after I changed the song to "That Smell" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and cut it to fit. I used approximately the first 22 seconds and then the last 25 seconds with a fade out.

Article posted February 5, 2008 at 02:31 PM GMT-6 • comment (11) • Reads 55

this is a commercial for the zune mp3 player.

the original song in this clip was sleeping lessons by the shins. I used the snon Phantom limb By the shins.

I used around seconds 1-30, 1:15-1:20, 1:45-2:00

here is the original

here is my newly edited one.

Article posted February 7, 2008 at 08:45 AM GMT-6 • comment (6) • Reads 45

For this project i used the Nike Air Force 25 commercial. The original soundtrack for the commercial was "The Second Coming: Our Game, Our Time" by Juelz Santana and Just Blaze. I decided to use the song "Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis. From the original song i used seconds :29-:42, 1:10-1:14, 1:53-2:07, 2:22-2:35, and 3:18-3:32.

This is the original:

This is my new version:

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page