Copyright (c) 2014 by Dean Meyer Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dean Meyer -- Blogmeister

Meyer Island Tribal Talk-

The Meyer Island 5th Grade Blog

by Dean Meyer

No Links added yet!

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM GMT-5 • comment (24) • Reads 13636

First quarter in Review

(answer these questions in complete sentences!)

What I am most proud of is...

Things I think I do well are...

Goals I have for myself second quarter are...

One thing I WILL DO differently this term is... because....

I am most looking forward to...

One way I think I can help make our class better is by...

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 04:42 PM GMT-5 • comment (24) • Reads 69

Happy New school year!

Describe two or three things you have found to be challenging so far.

Describe two or three things that you feel very prepared for as a 5th grader.

Article posted May 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 62

Day 13 Hunger Games Ch 25-27 responses

As the Hunger Games come to their conclusion, a few things come to mind.

1.) Making a text to text connection, compare / contrast the response of the farm animals in Animal Farm, when the pigs walked out of the house wearing clothes and on two legs, to the choice Katniss and Peeta have to make at the end of Ch 24 when the Gamesmakers change the rules again.

2.) Make a text to text connection to our Social Studies book Chapter 11 for the choice Katniss and Peeta made at the end of Ch 24 to that of the social studies content.

3.) Muttations are the name of the creatures in the arena.  Mutt is a name for a mongrel dog, and a mutation is a change.  Using these clues, explain why muttations is an appropriate name for these creatures.  What were they really?

4.)  Was Katniss playing the game all along or did she really have / develop feelings for Peeta?  What is your proof?

5.) Why were Katniss and Peeta in more trouble out of the arena than inside it after the games were over?

6.)  What do you think the future holds for winners of the Hunger Games, especially given the disobedience they showed to the Capital.  Refresh my memory, how did Katniss & Peeta force the hand of the Capital during the Hunger Games?

7.) Given that Katniss and Peeta will be making the rounds of all of Panam, what do you predict will happen?  What new conflicts may they face?

8.) Overall, give your honest feedback on the Hunger Games.  Did it live up to the "hype" that I gave it?  What was your favorite part?  Are you going to read book 2?

Article posted May 12, 2011 at 01:24 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 59

Hunger Games Day 12 Ch 23-24

1.) Day12 brought about the introduction of a new element into the game, strange creatures.  Without reading ahead, and knowing that the gamesmakers continually introduce changes to keep the game interesting.  Describe what you think the creatures may look  like / be like.  Illustrate them here as well.

2.) How do you think this might change the game with only three players left?  What do you think happened to Thresh?  Could these creatures be involved with that?

3.) Making T-W connections, compare our year of MeyerIsland to the Hunger Games.  How do you think you'd do in the Hunger Games?  

4.) Do you think that the tributes who go into the Hunger Games knowing what the games are about, had an advantage in being successful, as compared to you students who "might" or "might not" know the game of Survivor?

5.) What happened to Foxface?  How did she die?  What connection does Katniss make about how she died and a mystery she was wondering about?

Article posted May 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 69

Hunger Games Day 11 CH 21-22

1.) Describe the gathering at the cornucopia.  Was the risk worth the reward for Katniss?  What did she do to Peeta to keep him from coming?

2.) Describe the incident with Clove and Thresh.  What was surprising about this?  Why did Thresh do what he did?  

3.)Does this change your opinion of him since his interview before the games started?  Why or why not?

4.) Describe a time when someone did you a favor.  How did you feel owing someone?

5.) Katniss and Peeta’s relationship takes a turn.  Describe how Peeta and Katniss’s relationship mirrors that of their parents?

Article posted May 9, 2011 at 01:50 PM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 56

Hunger Games Day 10 Ch 19-20

1.)  What "tween" or pop-culture influences do you think played on the author as they wrote this novel? Explain how you see the influences.  (example -Survivor, there is only 1 winner, American Idol - people watch the behind the scenes, etc.)

2.  What text connections have you made so far? Explain your (2) connections and how they fit with the Hunger Games.

When did Katniss first realize that Peeta does care for her and is trying to keep her alive?

4.)When does she realize her own feelings for him?

5.) Did Haymitch think all along that he could keep them both alive by stressing the love story?

6.) Are they actually in love? explain.

Article posted May 4, 2011 at 08:41 AM GMT-5 • comment (6) • Reads 90

Day 9 Hunger Games Chapter 17-18

1.) What is a hero? Explain what they do or say that makes them heroic. Think of examples from popular culture that “show” heroism.

2.) Many of you may think that Katniss isn't much of a hero at all.  Have the events of these two chapters changed your minds about that? 

3.) What has Katniss done to show her "true colors"? 

4.) Do you believe the "star-crossed lovers" gimmick, or is it really true love that these two players share?  Explain.

Article posted May 3, 2011 at 01:36 PM GMT-5 • comment (5) • Reads 49

Hunger Games Day 8 Ch 15-16

1.) Why did Peeta join with the Career Tributes in the beginning of the Games? What does he hope to gain?

2.)  Why do they accept him when they start hunting as a group? Why do groups form in the beginning when they know only one of them will be able to survive?

3.)  What makes Katniss and Rue trust each other to become partners?

4.) What does Katniss gain from this friendship besides companionship?

5.) Is Katniss and Rue's partnership formed for different reasons than the other group's?

6.)  Discuss the ways in which the Gamesmakers control the environment and "entertainment" value of the Games.

7.) How does it affect the tributes to know they are being manipulated to make the Games more exciting for the gamblers and viewers?

8.) Does knowing that she is on live TV make Katniss behave differently than she would otherwise? Explain.

Article posted May 2, 2011 at 09:54 AM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 47

Hunger Games Day 7 Ch 13-14    

1.) The games have begun!  Are they quite what you had expected?

2.) Children are exposed to tens of thousands acts of violence on television, cartoons, movies, and video games by this point in their lives.  Does the Hunger Games protray violence in a manner that bothers you / grosses you out / doesn't really matter (becuase you know it is fiction) / or some other emotion?

3.) In our previous days questions, most of you said you would go defensive.  Would you say this is Katniss's strategy?  

4.) Could it be said she is "passive" aggressive. meaning she is being offensive in playing the game, but not "outwardly" being aggressive?  

5.)Think of the example of the trackerjackers and Glimmer.  Who would you say is responsible for Glimmer's demise?  

6.) Does playing the game that way make it feel LESS GUILTY for Katniss than what Peeta did?  

7.) Would it be possible to "play" the game without taking a life on purpose / accident and still win?

Article posted April 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM GMT-5 • comment (3) • Reads 51

Hunger Games Day 6 Ch 11-12

1.) How would you play the game, defensive or offensive?  

2.)  Why? What (item) would you risk everything in order to get?  Would you have followed Haymitch's advice? -explain.

3.) What does Haymitch mean when he says, "It's all a big show. It's all how you're perceived."

4.) Why do they need to impress sponsors and what are those sponsors looking for when they are watching the Games?

5.) Why does Katniss ignore Haymitch's advice to head directly away from the Cornucopia?

6.) Did she do the right thing to fight for equipment?

7.) What are the most important skills she has for staying alive?

09-10
'11-'12 Meyerisland
08-09
2010 - 2011