Copyright (c) 2016 by gordon Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

rHIqziPcoHAe-

gordon

J8gLmJ http://www.FyLitCl7Pf7kjQdDUOLQOuaxTXbj5iNG.com

by gordon

Article posted May 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 336

Hunger Games Day 11 CH 21-22

1.) Describe the gathering at the cornucopia.  Was the risk worth the reward for Katniss?  What did she do to Peeta to keep him from coming?

2.) Describe the incident with Clove and Thresh.  What was surprising about this?  Why did Thresh do what he did?  

3.)Does this change your opinion of him since his interview before the games started?  Why or why not?

4.) Describe a time when someone did you a favor.  How did you feel owing someone?

5.) Katniss and Peeta’s relationship takes a turn.  Describe how Peeta and Katniss’s relationship mirrors that of their parents?

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 07:36 AM GMT-5 • comment (24) • Reads 132

There is an old expression that goes like this, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

• What do you think this statement means?

• How is it applicable to Animal Farm?

• What "plan" did our founding fathers of this nation have to ensure this didn't happen? - be specific in your expaination of how / what / why (think of our analysis of the executive branch)

Article posted January 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM GMT-5 • comment (19) • Reads 126

We just started reading Animal Farm, a dramatic reading based on the 1946 novel written by George Orwell. 

• What was going on in the world around 1946 to inspire Mr. Orwell to write this book?

• What is the basic plot so far? and what does that have to do with our study of American History in Social Studies?

• What character do you most identify with right now?  Why?

Article posted February 18, 2008 at 02:28 PM GMT-5 • comment (16) • Reads 122

What would you be willing to do at home / ahead of time to give us more working time in school to use the computer lab?

Keep in mind that the computer lab is usually empty in the mornings! What requires little teacher instruction that you would be willing to do on your own (or with little help)?

Or is this asking too much of kids?

Article posted May 20, 2007 at 02:33 AM GMT-5 • comment (7) • Reads 275

Here is a brief podcast of our literature circles discussion on the Mark Edwards' novel, The Saint's Bones. Listen in and give us some feedback.

Article posted May 15, 2007 at 10:15 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 113

This year students have completed a tremendous number of online activities & experiences (e.g. imbee, classblogmeister, wiki creation & editing, widgets, google docs & spreadsheets). The last few months concept of "social networking" has really hit home for me. I think I'm starting to "get it." The constant change & improvements in technology, widgets, tools, and thinking will never stop evolving.

The horizon for many students will include online learning experiences like Second Life, where students and teachers meet in a virtual environment. Michigan is the first state in the nation that requires high school students 20 hours of online learning to graduate.

Making connections and being a part of a "bigger whole" becomes key to engaging learners in becoming participants & collaborators. Online gaming engines like World of Warcraft entice participants to join guilds and become an involved in groups. Friendships are built while collaboration & commitments are fostered. A sense of community develops, thus making players "invested" in the game. Now if only we could find that same dynamic for education!

World of Warcraft has over 8 million online participants! That is a tremendous amount of social networking going on daily. Note, I'm not endorsing World of Warcraft for educational / social purposes, I'm merely commenting on the idea that many of our "digital native" students seek online connections and social networking.

The discussion for myspace / facebook and social networking spaces will be saved for another post, but I strongly believe that our students are "out there" in the online world without proper guidance, they may have websites (e.g. youtube, myspace, etc.) blocked at school, but many kids are so tech savvy that they are still participating at home. At our age group of students, many kids participate in webkinz, imbee, or club penguin online environments.

Everyone leaves a "digital fingerprint" from their online experiences. We need to educate our kids to be safe & responsible in their online endeavors. More and more often I read about students who are missing out on educational opportunities due to their digital fingerprints (read here inappropriate content on their myspace / facebook pages that get them kicked off sports teams, not admitted to certain colleges, or even an extreme case where a college student was not given her education endorsement for her 4 years of education coursework). As parents, adults, educators, and "digital immigrants" we may not have the same comfort zone with technology; however, we have the morals, ethics, wisdom, and responsibility to guide our students in making appropriate and safe online and life choices.

As a parent, would you be interested in attending an online safety seminar to better prepare you and your children for this 21st century world our children are growing up in? If you are not a parent of a student in my classroom, then rate the importance of having a parent / student online safety workshop (On a scale of 1-5).